The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Our first ever DOT helmet police stop.... yep

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't be surprised if that starts happening here soon. Last week a local guy hit a deer and he was wearing a novelty helmet. He died from head injurys.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
This is my personal opinion, but I believe that a better use of the troopers time would be giving citations to all the texting drivers that I observe everytime that I am out riding. Just saying......!
+1 to that! At least if you're not wearing a helmet you're the only one taking the risk. The texters put everyone in danger.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by sm0kediver
In this economy it was a revenue generating stop. Local governments are hurting.

This ^

Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
then cops should pull over cagers and check their tires for being DOT, not blems and have the correct load capacity.. what about all the ricers running around with clear tail light lens on them. even if they have the correct colored bulb lens inside the clear housing, it may not be DOT approved(needs to have correct reflector capability per fed standards)..

can't stop one with out stopping all..
I totally agree. The amount of vehicles running down the road with worn out tires far exceeds the issue of not wearing a DOT approved helmet. Being in the tire industry for over 30 years it would blow you away at the number of vehicles with tires that have no tread. First wet road and their spinning and skidding - right at you! Stop looking at 5% of the vehicles and look at the majority. Personal opinion!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickl
I totally agree. The amount of vehicles running down the road with worn out tires far exceeds the issue of not wearing a DOT approved helmet. Being in the tire industry for over 30 years it would blow you away at the number of vehicles with tires that have no tread. First wet road and their spinning and skidding - right at you! Stop looking at 5% of the vehicles and look at the majority. Personal opinion!

you don't have to tell me. i've been a mech for 30 yrs myself. i don't how many cars i've written on RO's that vehicle is "UNSAFE TO DRIVE"..

Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Originally Posted by Challenger
Jeezzee. get over it. You guys should get an FAA ramp check or line check and have some FED who dosent know his *** from a hole in the ground crawl up your *** with a flashlight!

Your state has a helmet law. the helmet needs to be DOT. The trooper had a feeling your buds was not DOT. He stopped him to check. He let him go after investigation proved it was DOT. Trooper did what the taxpayers hired him for.

Now you want to write your rep and complain? WTF?
I find that cop's 'feeling' somewhat questionable. The same eagle's eyesight that permitted that cop's feeling ought properly have also permitted the cop to see that the helmet was DOT without the investigation that ensued. Assuming the bike was 50 feet or more away when the cop observed the helmet, and assuming that the cop was being honest, his sharp eyesight would have also seen the propriety of the helmet as he came within 10 feet of the stopped bike -at which point he should have immediately let the biker go.

It is not, as many believe, the cop's job to stop motorists and have them prove anything. In fact, such premises for a stop are violative of people's rights in all 50 states. There are exceptions for checkpoints, which have to be pre-authorized at levels way above a cop's pay grade.

I have been stopped twice over the years by cops who asked me to take off my helmet and hand it to them. I respectfully declined and requested to see a warrant. Both times, in NYC, the cop relented. To give the cop some minimal respect, after one told me I could go, I told him 'off the record' that, in fact, my helmet was dot stickered, but that I had bought an extra small helmet and shaved out the foam. He correctly said that this is unlawful, but also agreed he would need a warrant to cite it. We chatted a bit and it turned out he rides too.

Look, the helmet issue will forever be a debate between paternalism by the government and personal choice freedom of the citizenry. There is also much evidence that the paternalism is fueled by budgetary shortfalls of the jurisdictions. The helmet debate is in the same category as those for the death penalty, abortion, suicide, etc. There are excellent arguments to be found on both sides. But here, the issue of what should permit for a proper stop by the police should be of interest to everyone. It would be a serious line crossed if we now permit the cops to stop citizens based on nothing more than their subjective hunches. The resulting harm would far outweigh the benefits no matter what side of the fence one sits on regarding the helmet issue.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawdoc
It is not, as many believe, the cop's job to stop motorists and have them prove anything.....I have been stopped twice over the years by cops who asked me to take off my helmet and hand it to them. I respectfully declined and requested to see a warrant.
On what basis can you not give up your helmet for inpection if a DOT helmet is required under what ever state you are traveling? What does a warrant have to do with it?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Now before we get all entangled in a crazy political and philosophical conundrum, the intent of the post was simply intended as a warning to those on the road that the cops are indeed on the lookout for non-DOT helmets. Something that I did not know they were actively pursuing.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer

If there is a DOT sticker on the helmet, a cop needs a search warrant to have you take it off, much as he needs a warrant to have you take off any piece of clothing or go into your wallet, bags, etc. Most bikers simply hand over the helmet, when, under the law they only need let the cop see the sticker.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawdoc
I find that cop's 'feeling' somewhat questionable. The same eagle's eyesight that permitted that cop's feeling ought properly have also permitted the cop to see that the helmet was DOT without the investigation that ensued. Assuming the bike was 50 feet or more away when the cop observed the helmet, and assuming that the cop was being honest, his sharp eyesight would have also seen the propriety of the helmet as he came within 10 feet of the stopped bike -at which point he should have immediately let the biker go.

It is not, as many believe, the cop's job to stop motorists and have them prove anything. In fact, such premises for a stop are violative of people's rights in all 50 states. There are exceptions for checkpoints, which have to be pre-authorized at levels way above a cop's pay grade.

I have been stopped twice over the years by cops who asked me to take off my helmet and hand it to them. I respectfully declined and requested to see a warrant. Both times, in NYC, the cop relented. To give the cop some minimal respect, after one told me I could go, I told him 'off the record' that, in fact, my helmet was dot stickered, but that I had bought an extra small helmet and shaved out the foam. He correctly said that this is unlawful, but also agreed he would need a warrant to cite it. We chatted a bit and it turned out he rides too.

Look, the helmet issue will forever be a debate between paternalism by the government and personal choice freedom of the citizenry. There is also much evidence that the paternalism is fueled by budgetary shortfalls of the jurisdictions. The helmet debate is in the same category as those for the death penalty, abortion, suicide, etc. There are excellent arguments to be found on both sides. But here, the issue of what should permit for a proper stop by the police should be of interest to everyone. It would be a serious line crossed if we now permit the cops to stop citizens based on nothing more than their subjective hunches. The resulting harm would far outweigh the benefits no matter what side of the fence one sits on regarding the helmet issue.
Huh? they do it daily.

~Joe

Quick Reply: Our first ever DOT helmet police stop.... yep