The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles

August 30th, 2010 05:53pm

State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles

by Road.Warrior

Here’s a story from the Associated Press that will interest motorcycle fans and those who aren’t:

SACRAMENTO (AP) — California lawmakers want to put a plug in the earsplitting roar from modified motorcycles.

The state Senate on Monday voted 21-16 to pass SB435. The bill makes it a crime to operate a motorcycle manufactured after Jan. 1, 2013, that fails to meet federal noise-emission control standards.

Motorcyclists whose vehicles lack the proper U.S. Environmental Protection Agency label would be subject to a fine.

Supporters say many motorcycle owners modify their bikes to make them much louder, which in turn creates a public nuisance. Those modifications also allow the motorcycle to produce more harmful emissions.

Opponents of the bill say many aftermarket exhaust systems meet emission standards but aren’t labeled, meaning law-abiding riders could be unfairly ticketed.

The bill now goes to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who owns multiple motorcycles.

-Santa Rosa, CA
-The Press Democrat.com

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-31-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 AM
LozoB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California is f'd up on many many issues. If it fell off the continent today it wouldn't be too soon for me.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Havoc7
Intermediate
Default Act like a child get treated like a child

Good! I have fairly loud pipes and enjoying hearing others out on the road, but not in housing areas. It is a shame some adults need to be forced by laws to do what they should have learned in kindergarten. Be responsible!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Legislature could save a buck for a cash strapped state, EPA will do the job for them and California needs the Tax revenue from every bike they can sell and every piece of aftermarket exhaust they can move. California has run most of their tax base out of the state and reduced the quality of life to where most people that don't like big brother on their back are leaving.

Maybe when China buys them we will catch a break from the EPA and the left wing liberals with the sensitive ears!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what happens when people go over board with things. Face it, who wouldn't get pissed off when you're home trying to enjoy some peace and quiet and some idiot with ear splitting straight pipes blasts through your neighborhood vibrating your walls? People become their own worst enemies by their very actions.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Bear_925
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we can do this but the senate can't make a decent budget, don't even get me started! argh.

Anyways, I know im a little biased but there are a bunch of bikes around my neighborhood, 3 on my street in fact and I actually have grown to like hearing my neighbor come and go on his softail with the drag pipes, guess I haven't lost my interest in loud bikes yet.

Anyone else always run to the window and look or turn thier head in the car when they hear a bike go by or is it just me?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

The times they are-a-changin.......

Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This **** is happening more and more, all over. Don't be surprised when it comes to a legislature near YOU.
Join an MRO.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear_925
Anyone else always run to the window and look or turn thier head in the car when they hear a bike go by or is it just me?
I do.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Bear_925
we can do this but the senate can't make a decent budget, don't even get me started! argh.
What do you mean ?

They've made a couple of budgets that might get voted on today. Neither are expected to pass. What is it, an month-and-a-half overdue AFTER they passed a law requiring an on-time budget ?

The pipes on bikes aren't the problem. It's the pipes they're smoking in Arnie's smoking tent.

Quick Reply: Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles