The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The absurdity of it all is how many LEOs are going to hang out looking for bikes with loud pipes when they're too busy ignoring folks texting/talking on cell phones while driving (a good law not heeded enough). THAT'S IT!!! I just figured it out... The real reason they passed this was so that bikers wouldn't disturb phone calls on the open road or freeway or even worse, cause someone to mis-spell too many words while texting. I knew there had to be a perfectly sane and logical reason for this law!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

With the "loud pipes save lives" arguement aside, its the ******* behind me playing his boom box vehicle so frickin loud you can hear him/her in the next county that gets my dander up! Makes me just want to rip their heads off and jam them up their bass speakers. Where the hell are the cops when you want them??????

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoethree
With the "loud pipes save lives" arguement aside, its the ******* behind me playing his boom box vehicle so frickin loud you can hear him/her in the next county that gets my dander up! Makes me just want to rip their heads off and jam them up their bass speakers. Where the hell are the cops when you want them??????
Cops can't stop the boom box guys because they would be accused of being racist!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
I've always heard loud bikes coming up behind me while in the car. Of course they're louder after they pass but, assuming I'm biased , I took a poll of non-bike riders at work and it was unanimous that they do hear bikes before they pass. Sure the soccer mom on the cellphone or the teen would the massive woofers won't hear us but, I'll take all the help I can get.
its called the doppler effect. just because the sound is directed backwards, that doesn't mean that that is the only direction it travels....

Originally Posted by Malibyte
For damn sure, I won't be buying a '13 model-year bike. I'm surprised that Harley and the other bike mfrs weren't fighting this thing tooth-and-nail. In the congressional records I read, there was stated opposition from individual H-D dealers but not from the MoCo itself.
maybe its because the federal epa law already limits them to what exhaust they can put on the bike during manufacture, and they do sell 48 state (and 50 state) legal mufflers.......

Last edited by skratch; 09-01-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Caleeephornia! - keep electing Boxer, Pelosi, Stark, Waxman, Scharzenegger et al and keep wondering why your business' and people are leaving in droves

Used to be Hot Rod heaven out there - Now..I'm not sure what it is...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Hey, you people with the loud motorcycles… wake up! You are a VERY small percentage of the general population. Whether you believe we live in a Republic or a Democracy, either way, the MAJORITY rules here, and the majority of the general population is sick of your loud motorcycles.
Oh, it’s the big bad boogieman government trying to take away your rights, your liberties, trying to “control” the way you live. Are you kidding? You’ve pissed off too many people, for too long, and they’re doing something about it, that’s all. Sorry, it’s the majority that decides what liberties you have.
If you think that you have the RIGHT to run loud pipes, quit whining about it and get involved in the legislative process.

And BTW, for all you Big-Brains who would like to see California fall off into the ocean, be careful what you wish for - California is one of the largest economies in the WORLD and most of the rest of the United States would be in a world of hurt without California’s economy. Yeah, we have our problems, but nobody is forcing you to live here.
You hit the nail on the head! Noise abatement laws have been on the books for years. Hell I remember a friend of mine getting a ticket for too loud pipes on his 56 Chevy. It's the bozo's who have to constantly crack their throttle, roar through neighborhoods and just plain be obnoxious a--holes who ruin it for everyone. I have screaming eagle pipes on mine, they're great, nice rumble and no complaints from neighbors. People do not have the RIGHT to impose their beliefs, desires or attitudes on others.

And not to belabor the point but: For all you Big-Brains who constantly want to knock CA, we are one ofthe largest economies in the world and have been so for many many years. We do have our problems, but then we are not alone, take a look in your own back yards you'll find much of the same that you knock us for.

End of thread hijack.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
prostoruski
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the discussion and figured i'd point out that AMA has a petition to veto the bill... sign it if you feel the need.
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/al...ertid=16039911

Old 09-01-2010, 01:12 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gonzy
You hit the nail on the head! Noise abatement laws have been on the books for years. Hell I remember a friend of mine getting a ticket for too loud pipes on his 56 Chevy. It's the bozo's who have to constantly crack their throttle, roar through neighborhoods and just plain be obnoxious a--holes who ruin it for everyone. I have screaming eagle pipes on mine, they're great, nice rumble and no complaints from neighbors. People do not have the RIGHT to impose their beliefs, desires or attitudes on others.

And not to belabor the point but: For all you Big-Brains who constantly want to knock CA, we are one ofthe largest economies in the world and have been so for many many years. We do have our problems, but then we are not alone, take a look in your own back yards you'll find much of the same that you knock us for.

End of thread hijack.
You were one of the largest. You are bankrupt!

I don't care about your loud pipes are not. I run stock ones myself. Cali is the most over-regulated over-taxed and most bankrupt state in the Union. Yeah your Big Brains are really getting it done out there. A real example. You lose a little freedom here a little thereand the next thing you know you have no freedom at all.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, this is crazy! I have a right to make as much noise as I want anytime I want, anywhere I want! What is this communist China? Who cares if it bothers a bunch of people,wakes up people that are sleeping etc. They should be glad to hear it. Besides, everyone I know with loud pipes never blips, or revs the bike excessively sitting at stop signs or traffic lights and is always respectful when riding through residential areas! I cannot believe this.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by overhead
Yeah, this is crazy! I have a right to make as much noise as I want anytime I want, anywhere I want! What is this communist China? Who cares if it bothers a bunch of people,wakes up people that are sleeping etc. They should be glad to hear it. Besides, everyone I know with loud pipes never blips, or revs the bike excessively sitting at stop signs or traffic lights and is always respectful when riding through residential areas! I cannot believe this.
It's not about pipes - It is however about over-regulation - At this rate, soon
these gov't agencies will be regulating air and how much of it you can breathe. They already regulate your water and power in Cali. and elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles