The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 PM
CyberDuke
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dog Father
So far we have avoided this happening in Mass. The liberals here don't like to be outdone by CA so it is only a matter of time....
I live in Quebec, Canada, and even here our politicians (poli-ti-chiens = small little dogs) said that they will follow California laws on loud pipes. What a bunch of ****en morons, specially considering that we dont have the population here that they have down there. You just cant fix stupid... maybee we should pass a law againt loud mouth politicians who pollute our brains with all their crap...

Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

California is just another name for Soviet Union. Why the hell don't they deal with the REAL offensive noise--barking dogs & boom box cars.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,844 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I've always heard loud bikes coming up behind me while in the car. Of course they're louder after they pass but, assuming I'm biased , I took a poll of non-bike riders at work and it was unanimous that they do hear bikes before they pass. Sure the soccer mom on the cellphone or the teen would the massive woofers won't hear us but, I'll take all the help I can get.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Sorry, it’s the majority that decides what liberties you have.
You must be unaware of the services provided by your local ACLU?!

Last edited by Hog Heaven; 08-31-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Loud pipes are awesome, Unfortunatly everyone does not enjoy them sensibly. Now everyone will probably pay the piper

Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

There's a limit. I run aftermarket pipes but make sure I don't get on it in my neighborhood on weekend mornings, and I don't blip the throttle at intersections. I will say for a fact that when I'm in the car on the freeway I hear Harleys with aftermarket pipes a lot sooner than I hear metrics or sport bikes splitting lanes. I have a Ducati with stock pipes and I feel a lot more comfortable splitting lanes on my FXDWG than on the Duc because people DO hear me coming on it and move over.

Obviously, these Congress-critters don't ride. The blue-hairs vote. And they bitch, so that's why these things get passed. It's not Rep or Dem, it's politicians making sure they get re-elected. We riders are in a minority and they know it.

For damn sure, I won't be buying a '13 model-year bike. I'm surprised that Harley and the other bike mfrs weren't fighting this thing tooth-and-nail. In the congressional records I read, there was stated opposition from individual H-D dealers but not from the MoCo itself.

I hate to say it, but I think in some ways Cali is *becoming* a third-world country. We can't control our borders, the Legislature can't pass a budget (but they can pass these damn "nanny" laws), taxes are f'n insane (despite which we still have a $20-billion budget deficit), the schools are in the tank (I'm just happy my kids are out of high school now), there are potholes as big as the kitchen sink in roads that used to be well-maintained. If I didn't have my whole family and 90+% of my friends here I'd be tempted to move.

But then again....I like to ski one day and scuba dive or hit the beach the next...and to be able to ride all year....

Last edited by Malibyte; 09-01-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Hey, you people with the loud motorcycles… wake up! You are a VERY small percentage of the general population. Whether you believe we live in a Republic or a Democracy, either way, the MAJORITY rules here, and the majority of the general population is sick of your loud motorcycles.
Oh, it’s the big bad boogieman government trying to take away your rights, your liberties, trying to “control” the way you live. Are you kidding? You’ve pissed off too many people, for too long, and they’re doing something about it, that’s all. Sorry, it’s the majority that decides what liberties you have.
If you think that you have the RIGHT to run loud pipes, quit whining about it and get involved in the legislative process.

And BTW, for all you Big-Brains who would like to see California fall off into the ocean, be careful what you wish for - California is one of the largest economies in the WORLD and most of the rest of the United States would be in a world of hurt without California’s economy. Yeah, we have our problems, but nobody is forcing you to live here.
Go to bed kid or atleast head for another room, adults are talking. I'm sure the stores that need our buisness would like us to stay.

Last edited by HillBilly73; 08-31-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing surprising to me are the people surprised and upset by the measure in Ca. Everywhere during the past few years, the motorcycle industry has warned those who "demand their right to have loud pipes" are denying the rights of everyone that doesn't want to hear them.
It's already been said, in this country, majority rules. The loud pipe issue may not have been put to vote at the citizen level, but if it had, would you seriously expect a different result?
Those who put the bill in motion are elected to represent the people in their district, so in essence, the majority have been heard.
This issue has been discussed to death in this forum. I don't think anyone has ever swayed from their opinion, for or against the issue. Motorcyclists have made their position clear by inaction, and our inability to manage the issue within our community. In doing so, we have begged for government regulation. Why is it such a shock?

Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
You must be unaware of the services provided by your local ACLU?!
I know them!! The American Criminal Liberties Union.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

there's their side, and there's our side, and the real truth lies somewhere in the middle.

personally, i'll keep my pipes loud.

when i'm done with this bike, i'll buy a carbed evo, and it'll be loud.

my truck is loud, too. louder than a stock bike by far.

i guess i'll be paying fines...

Quick Reply: Calif. State Senate votes to ban noisy motorcycles