The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Arizona to legalize lane splitting...Maybe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
NJIron
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona to legalize lane splitting...Maybe.

Hey guys, check out this article I found on a new law that may start a precedent for lane splitting across the US.

AutoBlog.com:Two wheels to the front: Arizona to legalize lane splitting. Maybe:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/27/t...splitting-may/

Do you guys "lane split" often? Think its safe/unsafe?

Last edited by NJIron; 03-29-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally....

Old 03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have always been afraid to try it, but it sure would be nice to try it. One would have to be careful, but I think it is no more dangerous than many other maneuvers out there.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

I'm from Cali originally, been doing it for years over there... and in AZ lol

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Im not sure i trust drivers enough to attempt this, all it would take is one ***** thats already in a rouad rage frameof mind to decide to cut you off a tthe last second..it would be nice though to just zip through traffic when you have two dimwhits holding everybody up.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I dislike the fact that I cannot split when I travel to other states. It is second nature to me as this is where I live and have learned to ride. It would be nice to split in other states as well.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 PM
slvr_bullit
Cruiser

If anyplace needs this it is Arizona. I was out there last year on the bike and stuck in 100 degree temps with traffic. It was horrible. With all of those road side speed camera's and everything else Arizona feels like a prison state. Big brother rules the road there. It would be nice for them to give a break to us bikers.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

Originally Posted by slvr_bullit
if anyplace needs this it is arizona. I was out there last year on the bike and stuck in 100 degree temps with traffic. It was horrible. With all of those road side speed camera's and everything else arizona feels like a prison state. Big brother rules the road there. It would be nice for them to give a break to us bikers.
exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have been splitting more this week, after reading this thread. I have to say, it is dangerous as hell. Yes, I enjoyed it, but to be honest, all it would have taken is a driver drifting over and I would have been in a bad spot. It still was fun though.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:23 PM
No Skool
Cruiser

Im originally from Oklahoma and was stationed in Cali. I learned to split lanes here. When I first started out I was like I'll never split lanes and then on day my buddy was like were going to split lanes so that is when it started for me and I was hooked. It can be dangorus if not done in the proper mannor. When I split lanes Traffic is moving slow or is at a stop. On average my speed when splitting lanes is about 25mph if that. For me I use alot of clutch control and the throtle(loud pipes) when splitting. Most of the time people will move out of the way. there are a few ******** out there that like to make the gap narrow Ill slow down even more or stop till I can pass. I have been know to flip the bird or yell at them when the window is down. also carry are 4" rebar that is sharp as an arrow that takes paint off and shatters windows nicely. Also when the traffic starts moving at about 30mph ill slide back into a lane till it slows again. The ones that make is dangours are the ones that split traffic at 40+ mph normally the sport bikes. In Cali if you split lanes and casue a wreck it is your fault(comming from a CHP Officer) but if you went to court and fought it might be swayed if you can prove its the other drivers fault. Also if you are splitting lanes on a 3 lane HW you want to split between lanes 1 & 2. Lane 1 being the far outside lane. The reason for this is most cars will be in lane 1 for a while casue cars in lane 2 & 3 have meriging traffice and so on. Thats my two cents.

Quick Reply: Arizona to legalize lane splitting...Maybe.