The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Motorbikes and ATV's Outlawed For Kids

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
done, thanks.
Thank you...

Everyone needs to send a note.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
PUBA ONE
Tourer
Angry Bill 117

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but it's related ( stupid F##king governments!!)
This is what's happening north of the border in Canada, OUR government is trying to pass a bill that won't allow any passengers under the age of 14!!!! on a motorcycle. Aren't there more important issues to be dealt with?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=539462

The showroom at Hitching Post Motorsports in Hopkins is filled with big power. Missing is what's little.

"We're not allowed to display them. We're not allowed to sell them," explains sales manager Andy Buddensiek about the absence of youth sized dirt bikes and ATVs on the Hitching Post sales floor.

The store's entire inventory of children's power sports equipment is now gathering dust in a storage area. As of Tuesday, the sale of small dirt bikes and ATVs is banned under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, a federal law passed last year that's meant to keep toys containing lead out of the hands of children.

"They just covered a blanket over everything without taking the time to understand what they were doing," complains Buddensiek.

Most people think about lead in paint, but it's used in many parts on ATVs and dirt bike, including metal alloys, batteries and tire valve stems.

"We don't believe that the lead content provisions of the act were ever intended to apply to youth ATVs and motorcycles," says Ty van Hooydonk, a spokesperson for the Motorcycle Industry Council, a trade organization seeking a motorsports exemption to the new rules. "I've been around a lot of dirt bikes and ATV riders -- I was one myself -- and I never had the idea my little motorcycle was particularly tasty."

van Hooydonk sites industry estimates that the value of frozen inventory nationwide may exceed $100 million dollars. "We're really just asking for some common sense here and for some exclusion of these parts that just don't present any risk to children in the real world."

Sonia Hayes-Pleasant, a spokesperson for the Consumer Products Safety Commission says the concerns of the motorsports industry are being taken into consideration and the Commission hopes to "issue guidance in the very near future."

Hayes-Pleasant says the last thing the Commission wants to do is encourage children to drive ATVs that are too big for them to handle, an outcome some dealers predict if the Commission does not overturn its ban on small ATVs.

With his small dirt bikes and ATVs in storage, Buddensiek can't believe the government let things get this far. "The economy is tough enough right now, and now I'm not allowed to sell dirt bikes?"

Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=Da Gumpmeister;4545696]First of all, this is a knee jerk reaction to the lead toys that made it into the country from China last year, because they now manufacture ALL our chit over there, and they do not have the same regs as we have concerning lead. So instead of making chit here, we allow them to make it over there (corp profits), and then come up with some draconian band aid, to fix the prob. This is that draconian band aid.
On top of that, it is the Gubments job to NOT let that chit in our borders to start with. NOT turn a blind eye to it and the corp profiteers, and then pull some stunt like this, to cover their azzes.

Second, the used market shouldn't go bonkers, BECAUSE this is retro active, blanket coverage. Covers ANY of them, no matter the year.
Yep, that's what it says and what I've read and heard. There is no Grandfather clause. They are all off limits as of the 10th. quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, this has zero to do with private party sales that I have read and only covers dealers and manufacturers. Second, they have been building batteries the same for how many years and I have yet to see a kid eat their bike or that battery. So, it stands to reason if lead were the only reason for the law it could have been written years ago as the same problem they are so concerned with now existed 30 years ago and dang, we're still alive. Additionally, it seems the 12 year old kid can have a 90cc machine, which they have no experience with and it still has the same lead pieces but I guess there is little or no chance they might eat that battery or part right? Nay, this law was beyond stupid and to me, forces folks to buy a bigger machine to teach the small child on, which in turn creates even more hazard than them eating the bike in the first place although they may very well eat that bike anyway when they find it on top of them.

Them folks in government reall need to take their collective heads out of their a$$es.

Last edited by 7/11 The Crapshooter; 02-14-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,188 Posts

This all goes back to the '60's I believe, not real certain, when the minority children were eating the paint in their public housing and was blamed for them being dumb. It must be true because some of them grew up to become public officials and look how dumb they are.

Also brought down an entire industry.

It is all about control, I plan to ignore all of it.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp

Bump!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp

Bump!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM
olgoat
Advanced

Heck, I used to chew on batterys when I was a kid and turned out just fine!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine.Top.58
Thanks for the link.

Signed sealed and delivered along with letting all my friends know as well!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp

Quick Reply: Motorbikes and ATV's Outlawed For Kids