The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

all you socal riders... here it comes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all you socal riders... here it comes!

So I just talked to a customer of mine who is a motorcycle officer here in Orange county. And yes he was on duty when I talked to him, he even asked if I wanted to ride up toRSM city hall with him and he will tell me exactly how loud my bike is... of course he said he won't ticket me for it. He knows I am not a throttle blipper or as he called um "throttle jockey"
He told me they have officially started a major crack down on any and all motorcycles that specifically break the noise and C.A.R.B laws!
He said that Anaheim pulled the trigger 1st about 2 weeks ago to UP the official stance of "no tolerance" for illegal exhaust, especially LOUD exhaust and will be targeting the Carbon Canyon area! And now here in Mission Viejo/ Trabuco canyon/ Rancho Santa Margarita the CHP and Sheriff's office are running specific operations in and around Trabuco canyon (for all you Cook's corner go'ers) because of residents in thecanyon complaining about "thunderousmotorcycle traffic" going to and from Cook's Corner!

He even told me that in California the law for Db is 82Db of course we got into a discussion about "how do you know what is legal?"

Your going to love this....

He told me that contrary to all the 'Public interpretation of the law" it is very simple... he said he can write a ticket for any exhaust that is not "Bone stock" whether it says EPA/CARB/50 state legal or not! All HD's are supposed to come stamped with "original HD equipment" on the exhaust. If they do not say that on the exhaust then he writes a ticket and it is now that persons responsiblity to prove otherwise in a court of law!

WOW that is harsh!

Don't get me wrong he is a cool guy, he rides a Harley as well and said he even has aftermarket exhaust on it... but he said it is all about "public perception" meaning home owners, motorists, general public. If home owners start to complain to the right people then guess what... it is time for police to do what is expected of them!
He told me straight up... if your a throttle blipper/jockey or you have obnoxiously loud exhaust you will be singled out and not only get an exhaust ticket but the officer has been told to throw the BOOK at you! i.e. aftermarket air intake, license plate mounted wrong, non DOT helmet... what ever they can find that you are doing wrong!

Get this... he has even ticketed people for illegal sunglasses! yeeeup I am not sh*tin ya, I guess in California sunglasses have to have a certain amount of peripheral vision unabstructed...

WOW I guess your damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,862 Likes on 807 Posts
Default RE: all you socal riders... here it comes!

Glad to hear they've solved all the murders, rapes, robberies, etc... and can now focus on this great menace to society.

Politicians are scum. [:'(]

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM
JDRay
Cruiser

I hate election years.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well there you have it in a nutshell

Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

Glad to hear they've solved all the murders, rapes, robberies, etc... and can now focus on this great menace to society.

Politicians are scum. [:'(]
Right there with ya!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
DLeppik
Advanced

Cant say I am surprised. I would be interested in learning the statutes or ordinance they will be using. Next time he stops by see if he can provide them.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

Why do I keep thinking about what the governor was just saying about raising taxes because we need more police to fight the gangs?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Demkay
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sbdynafan

Don't get me wrong he is a cool guy, ....................

Get this... he has even ticketed people for illegal sunglasses! yeeeup I am not sh*tin ya, .......

Don't sound like a cool guy to me.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DLeppik

Cant say I am surprised. I would be interested in learning the statutes or ordinance they will be using. Next time he stops by see if he can provide them.
yeah. the sunglasses thing sounds awfully, uh, fictional. vehicle code site would be very informative.

i couldnt find a VC that covered sunglasses.

kinda makes you wonder about the whole thing.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
hoosierdaddy
Cruiser

It seems we're seeing more and more post like this . I'm here in the mid west and I live outside the city , some the of the cars and especialy the trucks the kids are driving out here have drum busting exhaust on them and you never see them pulled over .The LEO's in town don't seem to bother the bikers either but there seems to be a growing trend against bike exhaust so we'll see . I wonder what would happen if everyone quit buying aftermarket Hi-Flo a/c's , fuel tuners and exhaust ?

Quick Reply: all you socal riders... here it comes!