The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

all you socal riders... here it comes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: all you socal riders... here it comes!

All HD's are supposed to come stamped with "original HD equipment" on the exhaust.
Ya know... I looked over my 03 Heritage stock pipes and my 06 Ultra stock pipes and neither set had that stamped on them.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, for the CA bashers, it was 85 degrees and breezy on the PCH this weekend with bikini clad babes everywhere. Yeah, everyone else has it soooo much better.

As for the crackdown, it really is happening. However, we brought it upon ourselves. I was just at cook's a week ago and a guy without ANY baffles went screaming down the road. I could hear him 1/2 mile away. Absolutely no reason for it. Fortunately I keep my vehicles registered in AZ so I can pretty much talk my way out of it. Whew!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Primo

To all California Bashers:

Get some new f'ing material or shut the F up already ! [:@]
+1... Gets old really quick.

Ever wonder why no one goes balistic when other states enact crap? It only seems to be CA...are you really that jealous?
I can probably pull some really f'd up lawsfrom just about state... Let's see

Denver's EPA law on pipes...um Oh that is in COLORADO.

VIRGINAis for lovers but god forbid you get a traffic ticket! (The civil penalty for going 20 mph over the speed limit will be $1,050, plus $61 in court costs and a fine that is typically about $200.)

Oh and NEW YORK goes against the federal HOV lane law and tickets Motorcycles using them.

MISSISSIPPIwas going to raise the cost of registration (I think it was more then double what I even pay) might have been repealed.

There are many more but this is the biggies I heard of not too long ago......

Seriously get a life...If you don't live there California is the least of your problems.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:48 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

All HD's are supposed to come stamped with "original HD equipment" on the exhaust.
Ya know... I looked over my 03 Heritage stock pipes and my 06 Ultra stock pipes and neither set had that stamped on them.
I think everyone is missing the motor officer's point... He can ticket you based on his observation of a violation. It then becomes your responsibility to prove him wrong in court. So if the city he patrols in says "Crack down on loud motorcycles!" then that is exactly what he will do. If it doesn't state on the exhaust that it is original or on my 07 they said something like "Harley Davidson original equipment" (very small on the underside) then he can give you a ticket and you will have a hard time beating it in court. Unless you can prove they are the original exhaust speced on that bike by HD. And you are still liable if he tests the DBs and it is over 82...

My point of this post was to warn people who ride out to Cook's corner that there is an existing operation to ticket offenders... I could really care less how every here "interprets" the law. I as well as most motorcycle owners have exhaust that does not comply with state and/or city noise laws, so I know that I am breaking a law and if I get caught for it I will go to court and get it knocked down, after switching back to my stock exhaust and having him sign off on the ticket. But to preventoperations like these...STOP PHUCKING ACTING LIKE A TWELVE YEAR OLD AND DON'T BE A THROTTLE JOCKEY IN URBAN/SUBURBAN AREA'S!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sbdynafan

I think everyone is missing the motor officer's point... He can ticket you based on his observation of a violation. It then becomes your responsibility to prove him wrong in court. So if the city he patrols in says "Crack down on loud motorcycles!" then that is exactly what he will do. If it doesn't state on the exhaust that it is original or on my 07 they said something like "Harley Davidson original equipment" (very small on the underside) then he can give you a ticket and you will have a hard time beating it in court. Unless you can prove they are the original exhaust speced on that bike by HD. And you are still liable if he tests the DBs and it is over 82...

My point of this post was to warn people who ride out to Cook's corner that there is an existing operation to ticket offenders... I could really care less how every here "interprets" the law. I as well as most motorcycle owners have exhaust that does not comply with state and/or city noise laws, so I know that I am breaking a law and if I get caught for it I will go to court and get it knocked down, after switching back to my stock exhaust and having him sign off on the ticket. But to preventoperations like these...STOP PHUCKING ACTING LIKE A TWELVE YEAR OLD AND DON'T BE A THROTTLE JOCKEY IN URBAN/SUBURBAN AREA'S!
Point taken and thanks for the post and info.

Primo

Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Primo

To all California Bashers:

Get some new f'ing material or shut the F up already ! [:@]
+1... Gets old really quick.

Ever wonder why no one goes balistic when other states enact crap? It only seems to be CA...are you really that jealous?
I can probably pull some really f'd up lawsfrom just about state...
Seriously get a life...If you don't live there California is the least of your problems.
Exactly. The CA bashers remind me of certain metric riders who look for every chance to bash HD's often without really knowing crap about them. Just receycling what some other million posters have said previously.

If you don't live here, good. Worry about what's happening in your own neck of the woods.

What's that old saying: "If you don't have something nice to say then shut the F up!"

Primo
P.S. Have a nice day

Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sbdynafan

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

ORIGINAL: DLeppik

Cant say I am surprised. I would be interested in learning the statutes or ordinance they will be using. Next time he stops by see if he can provide them.
yeah. the sunglasses thing sounds awfully, uh, fictional. vehicle code site would be very informative.

i couldnt find a VC that covered sunglasses.

kinda makes you wonder about the whole thing.

Well I don't know why a police officer would lie about a California vehicle code but just for the sake of it here is a link to the California motorcycle hand book take a look at page 7 under eye and face protection...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf
It states that eye wear must give clear view through either side.
you've been had.

the guide you quoted is listing criteria for _choosing_ effective eye protection, it's not describing any legal requirement.

yeah, im thinking most of what you wrote was inaccurate. good luck with that.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
fly_by_day
Cruiser

maybe the cop friend can get 20 inches from this exhaust
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=188107

check this out!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: csian

Glad you hate Cali so much. Stay where you are. We got enough lost tourists slowing down our racetra...... ooopps I meant freeways.
Uh, most of them aren't tourists...they're the swarms of illegals driving the 85 Nissan trucks that couldn't pass an emissions test, with 32.75 passengers crammed in, driving at 45mph when the speed limit is 65mph! Don't forget the Front BC plates on them! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Actually Bev, I seem to recall a whole swarm of threads/posts that popped up when the Colorado/Denver law came into effect. Since the Republic of Kalifornia just enacts more crazy/stupid laws that most other states combined, it's just easier to bash CA!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

He can give me the ticket but I would be in court fighting any ticket for non-original parts if the noise level was within the db reading.

The C.A.R.B law specifically states you can change to non-OEM parts as long as they 1) Meet or exceed the C.A.R.B. requirements for the specified bike 2) the part that is changed does not contain Emmissions parts that would be removed with the replacement. They cannot force O.E.M...Parts break and replacesments have to be made.

So far as I know no city in CA has adopted the EPA noise stamp as law like Denver. In fact it is not a law but a guideline unless the city/state/whatever adopts it as a law. The law in CA is 82 db.

As for not getting a ticket....Keep your idle noise reasonable and try not being an *** with your throttle hand and you'll have nothing to worry about. Personally really really loud pipes makeme cringe.

BlueRose you are absolutely correct. As for sunglasses...there is a law that prohibits blocked peripheral vision on glasses. It's been on the books for at least 25 years. 23120CVC.No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing glasses having a temple width of one-half inch or more if any part of such temple extends below the horizontal center of the lens so as to interfere with lateral vision.

I'm an ex CHP and ex motor officer. As far as a motor officer's duties.... far more than just writing tickets. Same duties and focus as any other traffic officer. You just have a different tool to do it. Been hearing this and that about loud exhausts and the so called increased focus on it for years. But until they actually Enforce the lawsno single motor officer or department is going to make a difference. I had to modify this post and included the law. Bottom line:Lawis there, has been, and is at the discretion of an officer. Enforcement is sparse and comes and goes. As for Carbon Canyon: can't say I blame the residents. It would be a field day for any cop.

Modification of Exhaust Systems
27151.(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

27150.(a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Officer would need to be able to testify to the method exhaust was tested and found to beout of compliance. Technically that means more than "it was loud your honor"

[i]27150.7.A court may dismiss any action in which a person is prosecuted for operating a vehicle in violation of Section 27150 or 27151 if a certificate of compliance has been issued by a station pursuant to Section 27150.2, [b]or if the defendant had reasonable grounds to believe that the exhaust system was in good working order and had reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in viol

Quick Reply: all you socal riders... here it comes!