The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

all you socal riders... here it comes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: all you socal riders... here it comes!

ORIGINAL: Demkay

ORIGINAL: sbdynafan

Don't get me wrong he is a cool guy, ....................

Get this... he has even ticketed people for illegal sunglasses! yeeeup I am not sh*tin ya, .......

Don't sound like a cool guy to me.
Yes he is a very cool guy, he will go out of his way to help any of us in the office like signing off on tinted window tickets or any other fix it ticket, instead of making us go find an on-duty officer.
And whether he agrees with the laws or not he is still a motorcycle officer... and I don't know if you have ever met or known a motorcycle officer but they have a very spicific job description. Write tickets! that is what motorcycle officers do... that is all they are supposed to do is write traffic tickets. I don't think he would be a good cop if he didn't do his job correctly and up hold his oath... right?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Bluerose

He can give me the ticket but I would be in court fighting any ticket for non-original parts if the noise level was within the db reading.

The C.A.R.B law specifically states you can change to non-OEM parts as long as they 1) Meet or exceed the C.A.R.B. requirements for the specified bike 2) the part that is changed does not contain Emmissions parts that would be removed with the replacement. They cannot force O.E.M...Parts break and replacesments have to be made.

So far as I know no city in CA has adopted the EPA noise stamp as law like Denver. In fact it is not a law but a guideline unless the city/state/whatever adopts it as a law. The law in CA is 82 db.

As for not getting a ticket....Keep your idle noise reasonable and try not being an *** with your throttle hand and you'll have nothing to worry about. Personally really really loud pipes makeme cringe.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
csian
6th Gear

Then take them sunglasses off. There is no specific eye protection code in California motorcycle laws. So if there is a sunglass law you'd be better without. Just hold your clutch hand over your eyes and crack yer fingers a little so you can see.

Check IT!!! http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=ca

And if you got a 1985 or newer bike the db limit is only 80 sounds like yer buddy needs to do some homework!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
sbdynafan
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dogtownmax

ORIGINAL: DLeppik

Cant say I am surprised. I would be interested in learning the statutes or ordinance they will be using. Next time he stops by see if he can provide them.
yeah. the sunglasses thing sounds awfully, uh, fictional. vehicle code site would be very informative.

i couldnt find a VC that covered sunglasses.

kinda makes you wonder about the whole thing.

Well I don't know why a police officer would lie about a California vehicle code but just for the sake of it here is a link to the California motorcycle hand book take a look at page 7 under eye and face protection...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf
It states that eye wear must give clear view through either side.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your customer likes to bust your chops. The CHPreleased their new noise limits very recently, raising the limit from stock & aftermarket pipes to 95 dB, measured at 20" from the end of the pipe at 3000 rpm. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The handbook is a guide. Try this http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=ca

Old 04-14-2008, 04:39 PM
gjb1952
Road Captain

Why is California so F#@ked up???? When it falls into the ocean move to Wisconsin...land of the free

Old 04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
csian
6th Gear

WI = only free on two wheels about 2.5 months of the year so when Cali falls into the ocean I'm Nevada bound. Surely not WI

Old 04-14-2008, 04:44 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another reason to dislike cali......like they really needed another one!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Big P
Cruiser

Wondered if this type of stuff was coming around Im way out east in NY in snow country they have started targetting loud snowmobiles here this year hope they leave us alone on the roads.Loud pipes save lives!right.

Quick Reply: all you socal riders... here it comes!