The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Biker rights card

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Biker rights card

As a LEO, I fully agree with the card in it's entirety. You do in fact have all those rights, with ONE exception. If you are taken into custody, your consent as to whether or not your scoot is impounded is not required. I will nearly ALWAYS give an arrested driver the opportunity to either have their vehicle legally parked, OR driven away by a licensed operator, PROVIDED that vehicle is legally tagged and insured. If it is NOT, then it won't be driven away by ANYBODY, and it WON'T remain on a City street. That leaves option three: Tow Truck.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

As a LEO, I fully agree with the card in it's entirety. You do in fact have all those rights, with ONE exception. If you are taken into custody, your consent as to whether or not your scoot is impounded is not required. I will nearly ALWAYS give an arrested driver the opportunity to either have their vehicle legally parked, OR driven away by a licensed operator, PROVIDED that vehicle is legally tagged and insured. If it is NOT, then it won't be driven away by ANYBODY, and it WON'T remain on a City street. That leaves option three: Tow Truck.
Thank you for your response!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't that unnecessarily consume the one phone call otherwise needed? Between corrupt towing firms (ever hear of the Lincoln Park Bandits song by Steve Goodman?) and socially ignorant impoundment personnel, that scenario (#3) would cause many to do actions they otherwise wouldn't.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

As a recently former LEO, I agree. Except, if you areon private property,you have the right to request the bike (or other vehicle) remain there and not be impounded.(the property owner can have it towed if they don't want it on their property)

The only exception to this is if the vehicle is to be held as evidence. Now if it's on the street, it can and will be impounded in just about every case, but the department and whoever tows it will assume some liability if it's damaged.

It may also depend on the locality and their ordinances/statutes.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not sure, but I think that card is outdated. Better re-check the 'Patriot' Act.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: 66cruiser

I'm not sure, but I think that card is outdated. Better re-check the 'Patriot' Act.

LOL

That would be where you combine this thread with the "No Colors" thread. It's gettin' difficult to have fun these days.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Rbohno
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

As a recently former LEO, I agree. Except, if you areon private property,you have the right to request the bike (or other vehicle) remain there and not be impounded.(the property owner can have it towed if they don't want it on their property)

The only exception to this is if the vehicle is to be held as evidence. Now if it's on the street, it can and will be impounded in just about every case, but the department and whoever tows it will assume some liability if it's damaged.

I think most of our "definition" of private property and the legal systems "definition" in most cases are different. Example: A convience store parking lot is private property in my eyes because it is privately owned. Wrong: If it has public access it is concidered public property.
A good friend of mine found out about this the hard way when he had too much to drink and pulled over in a department stores parking lot after hours and went to sleep( winter - motor running for heat to work ). Local LEO pulls in and takes him in for DWI because the car was running/keys in the ignition.

Another bit of info if you ever fing yourself in the unfortunate situation where you realize you shouldn't be driving pull over and "take the keys OUT of the Ingition" and you can't be considered DWI.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rbohno

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

I think most of our "definition" of private property and the legal systems "definition" in most cases are different. Example: A convience store parking lot is private property in my eyes because it is privately owned. Wrong: If it has public access it is concidered public property.
A good friend of mine found out about this the hard way when he had too much to drink and pulled over in a department stores parking lot after hours and went to sleep( winter - motor running for heat to work ). Local LEO pulls in and takes him in for DWI because the car was running/keys in the ignition.

Another bit of info if you ever fing yourself in the unfortunate situation where you realize you shouldn't be driving pull over and "take the keys OUT of the Ingition" and you can't be considered DWI.
I know in Europe. IE Germany, if you pull over and your drunk, you have to take the keys out of the ignition and get rid of them somehow so that you don't have access to the keys. Then they will not bust you for DWI.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish everyone would of had one of those before I retired. Then all I would have had to say is, "do you understand your rights, as you have read them to yourself." LOL

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run Forrest run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOSSMAN

Quick Reply: Biker rights card