The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Lane Splitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 01:02 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
You ain't seen nothin until you see a large club of 1%'ers splitting 80mph traffic on a freeway in Ca doing 100mph!
Real fun when you play tail gunner and ride the draft. Been a few years

Old 03-29-2024, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

If you are splitting at a reasonable speed, because the traffic is congested how would a cop in a cage get to you. Well, that’s what a friend told me.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (04-19-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 01:37 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

I get it, lane splitting is not for everyone and if you live in a rural environment, you probably do not even understand the need. I learned to ride in the boroughs of NYC, it was the only way you were getting anywhere. We had to ride very offensively or get squashed like a bug. And I got squashed a couple of times, thankfully not my fault and I limped away. Walk in another man's shoes and all of that. Ride safe.

The following 4 users liked this post by Architect:
crazytown (04-04-2024), Old Sport (04-05-2024), Tom H (03-29-2024), TwiZted Biker (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 02:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I get it, lane splitting is not for everyone and if you live in a rural environment, you probably do not even understand the need. I learned to ride in the boroughs of NYC, it was the only way you were getting anywhere. We had to ride very offensively or get squashed like a bug. And I got squashed a couple of times, thankfully not my fault and I limped away. Walk in another man's shoes and all of that. Ride safe.
Bingo, earned my early 2 wheel chops banging around Baltimore MD. Your hood was much worse.

Architect (04-01-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 02:31 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Direct from CHP...
"The CHP's guidelines state that motorcyclists should only split the lane when traffic flows at 40 MPH or less. Also, they should not travel more than 10 MPH over surrounding traffic. However, law enforcement has considerable discretion in how it enforces the law."

There will always be ******** that believe splitting at any speed is something to be done because they can't be caught. It's really just stupid IMHO and helps give all us a bad rep.
I do it only when safe and necessary. By necessary I mean protecting myself. I ride through traffic, and not in it. And I'm not purposely making an ******* of myself.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:44 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 282 Posts

In Ca., to the best of my knowledge, lane splitting rules before the new law, were covered under unsafe or reckless driving. It was up to the cop to decide if you were doing something unsafe. Something safe to one cop was unsafe to another.

I filter up to a traffic light at a bit over walking pace or so, about 5mph maybe. I lane split on the freeway when it's a parking lot or crawling. Whatever the traffic is doing on the freeway, I might be 5-10 mph faster. I try not to go faster than I can stop within a car length if the hole closes. In my youth when I was young dumb and full of... I did make a morning commute/crawl that should have been an hour in about 30 minutes. Have not done that again, shouldn't have done that then. 50mph or so between stopped cars, again young dumb and....

As a side note: I was haply splitting with a parking lot on the freeway on the line between the car pool and the fast lane. Just minding my own business and going pretty slow. I was mainly watching in front, didn't really give a crud what it behind me. All of a sudden I hear the whoop of a cop siren. Aw crud, I'm not doing anything wrong. I roll along until I find a spot in the car pool lane to get into and wait for instructions. Well...He goes blowing past me and a few more non cops go with him. I guess I was going TOO slow. I grabbed the back of the pack and kept up for a bit, but it was a bit fast for my comfort, slowed back to my pace. It was kinda funny me being moved over for for going too slow

On the cars intentionally closing a gap. At least here, "most" cars give room if they see you "filtering" to a traffic light if they can. Maybe they don't want to risk a scratch on their car?? Or are just being nice?? Rarely does someone look like they intentionally closed the gap. But I watch VERY closely for that.

It's not for everyone. But it sure is nice.

Tom

Last edited by Tom H; 03-29-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Calif Fat Bob (04-19-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:36 PM
WXSW
Club Member
Received 390 Likes on 184 Posts

I believe there have been studies that show lane splitting, or lane sharing as it’s called in CA, to be safer than not when there’s heavy traffic. The CHP encourages it and asks drivers in the left lane to move to left to allow motorcycles to pass. Anyone who has in interest in arguing for it may find the CHP website to be helpful support. I believe that the AMA and ABATE are active in lobbying for this in some states. I commute on my Road King on L.A. freeways and I am so used to splitting lanes that I would have a very hard time not being able to do it. I have had a few jerks intentionally block my way, but most drivers here are pretty good about making room. I feel that if you ride regularly you get a feel for the traffic or what sort of traffic day it will be. Some days everything seems to be in sync and some days things are off, like the mass of vehicles is an entity that has good days or moods and not so good ones, and that includes myself as well, so riding with your gut feelings is important around here. It sure would be great if more people used bikes for their commute. Many a time I’ll do my 35 miles commute from the 60 to the 605 to the 210 with nary another bike in sight.

The following 3 users liked this post by WXSW:
Clammy (04-05-2024), Tom H (03-29-2024), vizcarmb (04-04-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:19 PM
imoo6170
HDF Community Team
Received 952 Likes on 918 Posts

Lane splitting is legal in the state of NSW (Australia) where a motorcycle rider moves past stopped or slow-moving vehicles at 30km/h or less. That said the majority of car drivers do not help / support it and some go out of their way to make sure you cannot do it.

From the previous comments above it looks like a lot of car driver in the US take the same approach as the drivers in NSW

TwiZted Biker (03-29-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:23 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

The reason why lane splitting is accepted here in CA because it's been advocated and advertised all over the state of CA for a very long time. If other states followed the suit, it would be accepted throughout the U.S. It's nice seeing other cars making room moving over for you so you can pass. It's just good judgement.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:13 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,136 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
The reason why lane splitting is accepted here in CA because it's been advocated and advertised all over the state of CA for a very long time. If other states followed the suit, it would be accepted throughout the U.S. It's nice seeing other cars making room moving over for you so you can pass. It's just good judgement.
Great points! Haven't heard a word about it (lane filtering) here as far as public service announcements or advertisements at all. Did do some lane splitting with my brother-in-law in Cali & it was odd at first but definitely noticed people giving us space.

Quick Reply: Lane Splitting