"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Just me and Roxy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just me and Roxy...

...going to get lost in the mountains. She all cleaned up and ready to play. Everyone have a great day and see ya down the road!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

.....260 miles later we came rolling in the driveway.

What did we do in the last 260 miles? Well after a quick stop to gas her up and then Waffle House, we headed down the road and out of Suwanee. We shot up 985 to Cleveland and to alt 75 in order to catch 348 Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. I had checked this out on the map and it looked full of twisties. Just the kind of ride I was looking to enjoy. What an awesome road!!! While climbing up to the top, it got really chilly. If I had a jacket, I would have pulled over and put it on. After reaching what appeared to be the top, I pulled over for my first rest. I have no idea if it was the top or not because there was nothing but heavy clouds rolling in. It was pretty cool watching them roll across and up the other side of the mountain.

After a brief stop I headed over to 180, turned right to catch 75/17 down into Helen. I can't remember the name of the place behind Paul's Steakhouse, but I pulled in for a soda and to decide on my next adventure. Oh, had some fries cause they look so good on someone's tray and they wouldn't let me have them.

After fries and a drink I threw caution into the wind and decide to go circle Lake Burton. I have to say, that was a great choice of a ride! I took 356 out of Helen, then N on 197 to reached the lake. I'm not much of a lake person, but there were some great views, and all the while I was on some great tight little narrow roads. I continued to 76 and headed East. Next thing I knew I was in Clayton. Oops!! Too far! I pulled over to get out the little handy dandy smartphone and fired up the GPS to find out where I missed the turn. I should have turned on Charlie Mountain Road. It looked more like a side road which is why I blew right past it. It turns out it was another nice little road for a leisurely ride. At the end of C.M.R., I turned right on Burton Damn road, the 356 to work my way back to Helen for some gas.

By this time, the skies had really cleared up. All I could think about was the view I had missed on Richard Russell Scenic Hwy, and since it was such a great ride I decided to head back the way I came. By this time Roxy was feeling a little frisky and she started ripping up 75. At one point there was a two lane section that I was wanting to get around slower traffic and I took the inside lane of a hairpin turn. I think the freakin SUV I was trying to pass sped up. I'm not sure I've ever leaned ol' Roxy so far over, so hard, in a turn. I was really waiting to hear her scrape and moments later slide down on her side. I've scraped before, but this sure felt like I had her over further than ever before. I didn't panic and rode it out. Well Roxy didn't fail me and we continued hitting the rest of 75 a bit hard. I quickly was coming up on 180 when I noticed a little crotch rocket behind me, and coming fast. So I turned the wick a little more and without looking down at the speedo, I found out I was doing 70 in a 55. Yeah, a local LEO was sitting at the corner of 180 and 75. Dang, and I was just getting ready to coast on down to make my turn. Well he was nice enough to turn his lights on and wave me over. CRAP! He asked me for my ID and if I was trying to out run the crotch rocket. Who me?? "No, my bike is way too slow for that. I was just messing around. But he sure was coming on fast!! You didn't get him?!" "No, I couldn't get a lock." "I don't normally have any issues with Harleys, I'm out here to catch those guys flying on the crotch rockets". Me, "Yeah they like to rip up the roads" LEO hands me back my ID "Have a nice day" Really??? WHEW!!! I never catch a break like that!

So I turned around, and headed down 180 to Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. I stopped at the same place I stopped the first time. What a great view! I had to sit a while and soak it all in. A few other bikes went riding by and it was cool to hear the sounds echoing through the mountains as they went rolling through the turns and out of site. A little further down the road I found another place to pull over, while not as nice, it was still a great view.

The rest of the ride consisted of riding back into Cleveland and on home. I have to say I loved this ride and will certainly do it again. I was surprised at how few bikes I saw on most of the ride, especially on Richard Russell Scenic Hwy.

OH, I did slow it down a wee bit after the LEO.

Last edited by Michael HD Rider; 04-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
blueyz0416
Now with God. Love you baby... -Wiz

1. Loved the read, laughed several times too
2. Never use the word 'speedo', unless talking about Ken
3. Russel Scenic is a great road, that's where Ron took those pics, remember? Haven't been on two other roads you mentioned (note to self, add to list)
4. Excellent luck re the leo not giving you a ticket. That part of the story made me laugh several times, btw.
5. Sounds like an awesome ride and day!

Last edited by blueyz0416; 04-28-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling like an idiot
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blueyz0416
1. Loved the read, laughed several times too
2. Never use the word 'speedo', unless talking about Ken
3. Russel Scenic is a great road, that's where Ron took those pics, remember? Haven't been on two other roads you mentioned (note to self, add to list)
4. Excellent luck re the leo not giving you a ticket. That part of the story made me laugh several times, btw.
5. Sounds like an awesome ride and day!
I wasn't sure if that was the right road or not. Some areas looked familiar.

We'll have to do the ride!! And I might just lead.....and it will be slow enough to not have the LEOs look twice though.