"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

GA Police Memorial Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Depdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GA Police Memorial Ride

Just wondering if any of yall are going? It's April 28th. Link to the ride is here

http://blueknightsga7.org/21st-ga-po...rial-ride.html

This will be my 2nd year (got my first HD last year). Just got a 2012 Street Glide that I will be riding this year. My father bought it for me (he passed on St. Patricks Day and always told me when he did to "go buy whatever you want on me". So I did.)

I am a Sgt. With the Henry County Sheriff's Office btw.

Glenn

Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Glenn! Thanks for posting this.

I will plan to ride in this. It would be great if everyone can come out for this, as it's a very good cause. It's shocking and sad that Georgia lost 10 Officers in 2011.

Congrats on your new SG! Really cool that your father bought it for you. I'll bet you remember him every time you ride.

I'll look forward to meeting you at the ride, Glenn.

AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE, SIR!

Ken

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 04-13-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to say THANK YOU
Old 04-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Can't commit to the ride "just yet."

Sorry for your fathers passing. Lost mine over 7 years ago. It's great to hear that your carrying out his wishes. I'm sure that you think of him each time you swing a leg over... and I'm equally sure that he's smiling each time you do so.

I'll second NGH's "it's truly a worthy cause."

Thanks for "keepin' the streets clean." Don't think that many of you "leos" hear that often enough...

Lookin' forward to ridin' with ya,

Beav

Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Depdog
Tourer

Thanks for the replies.

He was not fond of motorcycles and wanted me to sell my 2005 883C. He would have been 77 in December, I can't count the times he has told me "when I go, get whatever you want on me" or something along those lines. He has been going for the last 10 years on willpower alone. His heart was very bad and the Dr's could never understand how he was making it. He was in Emory 10 years ago on the Heart Transplant list. He got tired of being there and told the Dr he was leaving. Doc said no way. He did and kept going for a long time, stubborn old mule, I miss him greatly.

To try and make a long story short, he passed 11:30 in the morning on St. Patricks day, about 2 am on the 18th I was up cause I could not sleep. Wife is in the bed keeping watch on me and out of the blue asks me what I was doing. I look up at the comptuer and I am on the HD site and on the Street Glide page. She says that I have been to Victory, HD, Indian and then back to HD. That this was at least the 4th time I was on the Street Glide page. I tell her I have no clue as I don't remember doing it. I finally get to sleep and woke up about 7:30 am, I wake with a clear and definate knowledge of what I was and am going to do. I woke her up and told her "I know what I was doing" she ways what. I said, "you don't have any say so, there is no discussion, no veto, no griping or complaining, there is nothing you can do or say that's going to change my mind" she looks none to happy but says ok what. I ask her if she ever remembers my father telling me to get what I want when he is gone, she says yes, several times. So I told her I was buying a new Harley with some of the money he left me. She looks at me for a good 10 seconds, leans over and kisses me on the shoulder and says OK.

Felt like I was home when I walked into the HD dealer. Made a lot of phone calls and haggling between 3 different dealers and finally got my local one beat down and got a price I could live with. He had to go to Athens to pick up my bike. I have had ZERO trepadation (sp) or worries about buying this, it just feels right.

Whenever I look at it, clean it, modify it, ride it, or just think about it, it reminds me of him and I take comfort in it. I get a feeling of peace when I am riding it, I mean I enjoyed riding my Sportster, but nothing like this.

I have to get some stickers made, trying to fool with Photoshop now. His favorite color was Turquoise and every vehicle he has ever had has always had "Happy Feet" on the front tag. Gonna do some type of Turquoise Happy feet with a memorial written in the middle to him. Still not sure on the wording, but it will come once I get the feet situated. Photoshop is a PAIN if you don't know how to use it.

Wow, sorry for the novel folks.

Glenn

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
harleybelle
Cruiser

Glenn, I buried my dad on st.Patricks day last year. He always rode Hondas but wanted a Harley. When he died he had a Honda vtx 1800 in the garage. There was no will so I took over payments. I just felt I had to hang on to the biggest part of him. I knew my husband would enjoy riding it as well. I actually had no plans of joining him. I grew up riding so it wasn't really fear. One day he convinced me to climb on the back and when I did I felt close to my daddy again. You couldn't pry me off the back, well except it wasn't really comfortable for Long rides. After some soul searching I agreed we should trade it on something we could both ride comfortably. Pop would want that. So we traded for our first Harley.
I used to live in Rex so Henry co is my old stomping grounds. My uncle who also passed from prostate cancer as my dad did was a police officer in Gulfport and Biloxi MS. I hope we can make this ride. It's up to the hubby horseplay.
Enjoy your new ride and ride in memory of your dad as I do.

Originally Posted by Depdog
Thanks for the replies.

He was not fond of motorcycles and wanted me to sell my 2005 883C. He would have been 77 in December, I can't count the times he has told me "when I go, get whatever you want on me" or something along those lines. He has been going for the last 10 years on willpower alone. His heart was very bad and the Dr's could never understand how he was making it. He was in Emory 10 years ago on the Heart Transplant list. He got tired of being there and told the Dr he was leaving. Doc said no way. He did and kept going for a long time, stubborn old mule, I miss him greatly.

To try and make a long story short, he passed 11:30 in the morning on St. Patricks day, about 2 am on the 18th I was up cause I could not sleep. Wife is in the bed keeping watch on me and out of the blue asks me what I was doing. I look up at the comptuer and I am on the HD site and on the Street Glide page. She says that I have been to Victory, HD, Indian and then back to HD. That this was at least the 4th time I was on the Street Glide page. I tell her I have no clue as I don't remember doing it. I finally get to sleep and woke up about 7:30 am, I wake with a clear and definate knowledge of what I was and am going to do. I woke her up and told her "I know what I was doing" she ways what. I said, "you don't have any say so, there is no discussion, no veto, no griping or complaining, there is nothing you can do or say that's going to change my mind" she looks none to happy but says ok what. I ask her if she ever remembers my father telling me to get what I want when he is gone, she says yes, several times. So I told her I was buying a new Harley with some of the money he left me. She looks at me for a good 10 seconds, leans over and kisses me on the shoulder and says OK.

Felt like I was home when I walked into the HD dealer. Made a lot of phone calls and haggling between 3 different dealers and finally got my local one beat down and got a price I could live with. He had to go to Athens to pick up my bike. I have had ZERO trepadation (sp) or worries about buying this, it just feels right.

Whenever I look at it, clean it, modify it, ride it, or just think about it, it reminds me of him and I take comfort in it. I get a feeling of peace when I am riding it, I mean I enjoyed riding my Sportster, but nothing like this.

I have to get some stickers made, trying to fool with Photoshop now. His favorite color was Turquoise and every vehicle he has ever had has always had "Happy Feet" on the front tag. Gonna do some type of Turquoise Happy feet with a memorial written in the middle to him. Still not sure on the wording, but it will come once I get the feet situated. Photoshop is a PAIN if you don't know how to use it.

Wow, sorry for the novel folks.

Glenn

Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleybelle
Glenn, I buried my dad on st.Patricks day last year. He always rode Hondas but wanted a Harley. When he died he had a Honda vtx 1800 in the garage. There was no will so I took over payments. I just felt I had to hang on to the biggest part of him. I knew my husband would enjoy riding it as well. I actually had no plans of joining him. I grew up riding so it wasn't really fear. One day he convinced me to climb on the back and when I did I felt close to my daddy again. You couldn't pry me off the back, well except it wasn't really comfortable for Long rides. After some soul searching I agreed we should trade it on something we could both ride comfortably. Pop would want that. So we traded for our first Harley.
I used to live in Rex so Henry co is my old stomping grounds. My uncle who also passed from prostate cancer as my dad did was a police officer in Gulfport and Biloxi MS. I hope we can make this ride. It's up to the hubby horseplay.
Enjoy your new ride and ride in memory of your dad as I do.
Sorry, I work that day, Saturdays pay the Harley payment.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Depdog
Tourer

Here is the flyer

Attached Thumbnails GA Police Memorial Ride-2012-gpmr-ride.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by horseplay
Sorry, I work that day, Saturdays pay the Harley payment.
HarleyBelle is more than welcome to ride on the back of Buster, or on Beyonce if NGB decides to go on this ride. I am definitely going on it.

Neither of us would mind having a BSR. Beyonce would probably be more comfortable, tho...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Givin' this one a bump to the top...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Depdog
Tourer

Anyone else deff. going besides me and Ken?

Well, if it don't poar down rain that is.

Glenn

Quick Reply: GA Police Memorial Ride