"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Warm up time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael HD Rider
That may be true. My ride to work is only 7 miles that takes me about 10-12 min. It's the initial warm up before heading out that I'm concerned with.
Also, just like in cages, short rides where the engine and exhaust pipes do not throughly warm up are rougher on everything than are longer rides where everything gets up to normal operating temps... esp in winter when it takes longer for everything to warm up anyway.

Moisture condensing in the pipes after short rides can contribute to rusting... again just like in cars w/o stainless exhausts. It's usually not too big of a concern unless you are still running the highly restrictive and largely useless stock exhaust... which no one should be doing anyway. That's the very FIRST mod any Harley owner should make! That and a free-flowng A/C... and a good tune... and cams... and... Oh, never mind!

Letting the big aluminum assemblies - cases, cylinders, and heads - warm up thoroughly and seal the gaskets well before racing off is the main thing of which to be aware...although TCs are better at sealing quicker than the Evos because they have much better gaskets and gasket geometry...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I let the bike idle til the oil is up to operating temp.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
unless you are still running the highly restrictive and largely useless stock exhaust... which no one should be doing anyway. That's the very FIRST mod any Harley owner should make!
After talking to Dave, I won't be doing much modifying. He showed me a couple of things when I was over there the other week. Cams and aftermarket exhaust are off the list.

She got to warm about about 5 min this morning.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you all failed this month's quiz question, supplied by Michael.

I went to my owner's manual and read what the MoCo says about starting your engine. The official recommendation is 15-30 seconds of idling before riding off.

Unless we are speaking about starting a frozen engine up in Alaska, I prefer to follow what the manufacturer suggest.

Letting you bike warm up for a full minute is DOUBLING the time suggested by folks who have to worry about lawsuits.

5 minutes is WAY over-kill in my opinion.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Looks like you all failed this month's quiz question, supplied by Michael.

I went to my owner's manual and read what the MoCo says about starting your engine. The official recommendation is 15-30 seconds of idling before riding off.

Unless we are speaking about starting a frozen engine up in Alaska, I prefer to follow what the manufacturer suggest.

Letting you bike warm up for a full minute is DOUBLING the time suggested by folks who have to worry about lawsuits.

5 minutes is WAY over-kill in my opinion.
My neighbors will be much happier about that rather than 5 min!! Although on a cold morning like this morning, I'm sure 1-2 min isn't a bad thing.