"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 AM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Yup, this affects me. Haven't received a recall notice though. I was reading about this recall on another thread (Florida Crew section) where they have pasted the contents of the press release.

Did you receive a notice from the MoCo Ben? Did they have to bleed your rear brake? If they JUST have to replace the switch then I'm good with letting a dealer do that. If they mess with the brake fluid (also) then I have to re-think where I'm going for the service.
I read where the MoCo was not sending notices out until 10-31 but dealers would have the parts by earlier this week to do the recall. Paul I may be wrong but when reading the technical side of the recall paperwork that I have seen posted online, the only way they bleed the brakes is if you have ABS, which I do. I read on the touring forum that someone had the switch replaced and not the brake pedal for the rears is low because they bled it wrong... I will not take my bike to Cartersville again to let them service the bike, that was a crappy experience. Haven't had work done anywhere else but my buddy has taken his to Earl Smalls more than once and they were great for him so thats where I am going to try. He also has a friend that is the service manager at Hd of Clayton County but there is no way I am taking my bike there!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horseplay
I read where the MoCo was not sending notices out until 10-31 but dealers would have the parts by earlier this week to do the recall. Paul I may be wrong but when reading the technical side of the recall paperwork that I have seen posted online, the only way they bleed the brakes is if you have ABS, which I do. I read on the touring forum that someone had the switch replaced and not the brake pedal for the rears is low because they bled it wrong... I will not take my bike to Cartersville again to let them service the bike, that was a crappy experience. Haven't had work done anywhere else but my buddy has taken his to Earl Smalls more than once and they were great for him so thats where I am going to try. He also has a friend that is the service manager at Hd of Clayton County but there is no way I am taking my bike there!!!
I've read that the brakes HAVE to be bled after doing this switch replacement... haven't seen the "ABS-only" part.

I read a story from one guy who had it done, but they didn't bleed the brakes, and he almost crashed into a car in the parking lot because the rear brake pedal went all the way to the stop without engaging the rear brake... YIKES!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
I've read that the brakes HAVE to be bled after doing this switch replacement... haven't seen the "ABS-only" part.

I read a story from one guy who had it done, but they didn't bleed the brakes, and he almost crashed into a car in the parking lot because the rear brake pedal went all the way to the stop without engaging the rear brake... YIKES!
Here is a copy of the techs recall paperwork http://www.box.net/shared/k3oz9fn9z21xt95181ic

It only mentions bleeding the ABS bikes with the Digitech machine but you could be right since the non abs bikes aren't mentioned. .2 seems rather low to pay a tech for replacing the switch and bleeding the brake lines though!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
b1rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea if they bleed the brakes, I was too busy looking at bikes and more chrome ha ha. I didn't receive a notice, just word of month. I called the dealer and they had just received the parts and said I could either just come by, have it done on my next service, or setup an appointment. While I was waiting they were getting so many calls they started taking appointments. I wanted to "get er done" before Ocala and before they ran out of parts.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
b1rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoops I thought message was deleted then here it was again.

Last edited by b1rider; 10-26-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: duplicate message
Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a copy of the techs recall paperwork http://www.box.net/shared/k3oz9fn9z21xt95181ic

It only mentions bleeding the ABS bikes with the Digitech machine but you could be right since the non abs bikes aren't mentioned. .2 seems rather low to pay a tech for replacing the switch and bleeding the brake lines though!
Originally Posted by b1rider
I have no idea if they bleed the brakes, I was too busy looking at bikes and more chrome ha ha. I didn't receive a notice, just word of month. I called the dealer and they had just received the parts and said I could either just come by, have it done on my next service, or setup an appointment. While I was waiting they were getting so many calls they started taking appointments. I wanted to "get er done" before Ocala and before they ran out of parts.
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I have NEVER had my bike to the dealer for a thing. Anything the bike has needed I have figured out for myself. I have the shop manual. I can't recall a positive dealership experience on my other bikes (actually scratching my fender one time), so I am all about REALLY needing something from the dealer before any next step.

I don't trust them bleeding my brakes, or trust them for keeping brake fluid away from my paint. I guess I will call them. If the switch is inexpensive enough, I may just buy one and do it myself. Seriously, I would never forgive myself if a dealer screwed up my bike. Sad that I feel that way.

As I used to say in Florida- Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. (think about that statement..... I use this analogy a lot and it fits many situations).

BTW- I totally ignored that tank-lift bolt-thingy recall that claimed that certain accidents could cause your gas tank to catch fire if they didn't change a bracket (or something). My thoughts---- if I'm in an accident with my bike, I want it to burn down to a pile of ash so I can get a new bike. The thought of a dealer doing anything correct to put a broken bike back together scares me to death.

But this is just me.......

Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Thanks everyone for all the great info. I have NEVER had my bike to the dealer for a thing. Anything the bike has needed I have figured out for myself. I have the shop manual. I can't recall a positive dealership experience on my other bikes (actually scratching my fender one time), so I am all about REALLY needing something from the dealer before any next step.

I don't trust them bleeding my brakes, or trust them for keeping brake fluid away from my paint. I guess I will call them. If the switch is inexpensive enough, I may just buy one and do it myself. Seriously, I would never forgive myself if a dealer screwed up my bike. Sad that I feel that way.

As I used to say in Florida- Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. (think about that statement..... I use this analogy a lot and it fits many situations).

BTW- I totally ignored that tank-lift bolt-thingy recall that claimed that certain accidents could cause your gas tank to catch fire if they didn't change a bracket (or something). My thoughts---- if I'm in an accident with my bike, I want it to burn down to a pile of ash so I can get a new bike. The thought of a dealer doing anything correct to put a broken bike back together scares me to death.

But this is just me.......
Paul, I agree... You sound like someone unnamed but quite well-respected, who I'll only tell you the name of in person. He told me that he would "never ever let a dealer mechanic touch his bike, as most are incompetent."

And no, it's NOT who I think you may be thinking of!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul, I agree... You sound like someone unnamed but quite well-respected, who I'll only tell you the name of in person. He told me that he would "never ever let a dealer mechanic touch his bike, as most are incompetent."

And no, it's NOT who I think you may be thinking of!
I do all my own work too when possible. I wont take it to the dealer unless there is no other option. If I dont know how to do something I will read up on it or beg a friend that I know is not incompetent to help me and try my best to learn while watching. Scary thing is this goes for the automotive/med. & heavy truck fields of service too. I run across it every day.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 PM
horseplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by DHubbs
I do all my own work too when possible. I wont take it to the dealer unless there is no other option. If I dont know how to do something I will read up on it or beg a friend that I know is not incompetent to help me and try my best to learn while watching. Scary thing is this goes for the automotive/med. & heavy truck fields of service too. I run across it every day.
Most dealers will probably have the lowest paid tech in the shop doing these recalls, Toyota did that when the accelerator pedal recalls came out. Kids the could not change oil right doing recall work!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,241 Likes on 2,470 Posts

I have Non-ABS brakes and when they replaced my switch on Monday they did Not bleed the brakes. I had air in the lines and the pedal went about 2 inches further than it did before they replaced the switch.

I have since bled the line and brakes are back to normal.

Quick Reply: Recall