"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Riders Course

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horseplay
If anyone ever takes the MSF course over at Honda in Alpharetta be wary of the 2 women instructors they have there. They can be down right brutal, well not to me because I was their star student who had only been riding for 2 months. They told one girl on a rice rocket that she should just trailer her bike home and sell it, I about fell off my bike! I was on my VTX then, one of the drills was accelerate as fast as you could to 30 mph then slam on the brakes. 1st run I did a burnout on accident, 2nd I pulled the front wheels off the ground, again on accident. Finally they told me to "gradually" get to 30mph and slam on the brakes, well I did a nice controlled slide to their liking at the end.

I will never forget that day, it was about 99 degrees for the high, I had gotten stung by a yellow jacket that morning which caused me to dehydrate in the afternoon. I about had a heat stroke and was pretty delirious at one point while taking the final test. I passed and then came home and cramped for 12 hours then went and got my motorcycle license the next day. I will never take another course like that in the dead of summer!
Wow, Paul! Yeah - you have to take those courses in the Spring or Fall. Mary took hers at that same place in Feb 2008... the C-C-COLDEST WEEKEND OF THE WHOLE YEAR! She about froze her tail off that weekend... but she passed and got her motorcycle license. I was VERY PROUD of her for doing that! Still am!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Well, perhaps a slightly smaller, more discreet one...
You slightly discreet? Right, your bike screams go big or go home!!! So we will be getting your the largest patch money can buy, although the jacket might be a little big on ya!

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

You slightly discreet? Right, your bike screams go big or go home!!! So we will be getting your the largest patch money can buy, although the jacket might be a little big on ya!
I 'spose I deserved that...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
horseplay
Road Master

I 'spose I deserved that...
Its all good, ask Dawn , the last Mustang I had you could hear a few miles before I got home. My neighbors hated my guts since I leave the house around 5:30 am, have a very large hill to climb and it had a nice size stall converter in it too. I'm pretty sure they cringed when I got the Harley but its not obnoxious at all compared to the Stang!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Its all good, ask Dawn , the last Mustang I had you could hear a few miles before I got home. My neighbors hated my guts since I leave the house around 5:30 am, have a very large hill to climb and it had a nice size stall converter in it too. I'm pretty sure they cringed when I got the Harley but its not obnoxious at all compared to the Stang!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
horseplay
Road Master

John, you are SO...

I have a feeling if I'm not careful I might end up with a Wild Hogs patch too?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

I have a feeling if I'm not careful I might end up with a Wild Hogs patch too?
Stranger things have happened...

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The class was great. I really enjoyed all the practicing and then the test. I know all the riding in the mountains and riding with you guys has really helped me become a better rider. I think it showed because I got a few comments. That made me feel pretty good.

I felt bad for the gentleman that dropped his bike. He was in the u-turn box and just went to slow and dumped it. He was ok, but I think he will be a bit sore tomorrow. IMO, the bike is too big for him. He was pretty shaky all day.

Chis Carr is an excellent and fun teacher. I certainly recommend him.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM
blueyz0416
Now with God. Love you baby... -Wiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you, Michael. Glad you had a good time in the class, and now you have your license. Too bad for that other guy; hate that for him. Maybe he just needs a bike better suited to him, like you suggested. i took the MSF class at Honda, it was 2 days and we had one guy who dropped the bike that one too; he was the only one who didn't pass the test in the end.

I wish they had the ride like a pro class around here, would love to spend 3-4 hours learninig/doing what they do.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

CONGRATS, Michael! Learning how to ride better is always time well spent. And congrats on getting your MC license, too!

Hope to ride with you again soon!

Quick Reply: Riders Course