"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Chattahoochee National Forest Ride - 9/3/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b1rider
Sorry I missed it. I was up way too late and therefore slept way too late to make the ride. I rode up to Dahlonega and ate at Rider's Hill (not that good) and hurried home. It was hot hot hot! When is this stuff going to break? Riding wasn't as good alone, wish I could have been there.

Your absence was present. LOL I had a sense that a Holiday weekend may be tough for a lot of folks to get out on.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey all, didnt see this till this morning, sounds like yall had fun. Im new to all this and have a question on group rides in general or even your group rides in particular. I notice most have larger bikes with larger tanks which Im sure means longer distances between gas stops. I have a sporty with a 2.1 gal tank, I need to fill up every 70 miles, 80 if I push it. How often do you stop and would I be a hindrance if I came along? Definitely wouldnt feel right if I knew folks were thinking "damit, gotta stop for the sporty again" Or would I just stop when I need to and catch up after?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Hey all, didnt see this till this morning, sounds like yall had fun. Im new to all this and have a question on group rides in general or even your group rides in particular. I notice most have larger bikes with larger tanks which Im sure means longer distances between gas stops. I have a sporty with a 2.1 gal tank, I need to fill up every 70 miles, 80 if I push it. How often do you stop and would I be a hindrance if I came along? Definitely wouldnt feel right if I knew folks were thinking "damit, gotta stop for the sporty again" Or would I just stop when I need to and catch up after?

Don't ever think that again! We will ride to the lowest common denominator without an issue. These are pleasure cruises, not iron-butt marathons. (But nothing wrong with those either). Would love to see ya come out for any of the posted rides. Certainly any cruise that I post for, and I'm quite certain that all is cool with everyone else too.

Same goes for experience level. As a group we can easily adjust to accommodate all skill levels. I know there must be a few that hold back because they think they can't "Group Ride". Nonsense. I would say, in a general way, that if you have at least 1,000 miles on your bike or bikes (that you've ridden) then we can get to the next level quite easy. We let you ride towards the back of the pack and then have a good tail-gunner behind you to keep any trucks or tailgaters off ya.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool, thanks for the welcome. I do have quite a few thousand miles on street bikes but the last ride before I got my Harley (3 weeks ago) was 1984. I look forward to meeting all of ya!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard Rog! Jump in there with us on any ride you can make! Lots of really good people here, you will enjoy it no doubt. Look forward to meeting ya!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, Rog48! Don't shy away from any ride that's posted. Heck, if you catch one of my rides, I'm happy to stop every 70 miles so I can rest my weary ***!! LOL I usually like to stop every hour to hour and a half just to take a break, get something to drink, and chat about the last awesome hour of riding!!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBLJosh
Welcome, Rog48! Don't shy away from any ride that's posted. Heck, if you catch one of my rides, I'm happy to stop every 70 miles so I can rest my weary ***!! LOL I usually like to stop every hour to hour and a half just to take a break, get something to drink, and chat about the last awesome hour of riding!!
When my wife is with me I stop about every hour so she can strech. I can go for awhile before I need to get things circulating!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry we couldn't be there for this week's ride, Paul. The Wiz will be tuning my bike next weekend Sat and Sun, so I'll be out of action then, too. But after THAT, I'll be rarin' to GO! The weather will be getting nice soon, too... should be some nice rides coming up!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horseplay
When my wife is with me I stop about every hour so she can strech. I can go for awhile before I need to get things circulating!
When I had a big, comfy touring bike, I could go for hours on end also. My wife didn't like the big "old man bike" for me. Said I wasn't 80, so why do I need such a big bike for? I told her it's because I enjoy taking weekend rides and I don't like stopping! LOL I had to sell that bike when we moved to Florida almost 3 years ago. She felt bad that I had to sell the bike, and within a year was able to get me my Fat Boy Lo. She's really awesome. But now, I'm limited to how long my butt feels like going since I don't have the comfort of the touring seat. Oh well, at least I'm out there riding!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 AM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBLJosh
When I had a big, comfy touring bike, I could go for hours on end also. My wife didn't like the big "old man bike" for me. Said I wasn't 80, so why do I need such a big bike for? I told her it's because I enjoy taking weekend rides and I don't like stopping! LOL I had to sell that bike when we moved to Florida almost 3 years ago. She felt bad that I had to sell the bike, and within a year was able to get me my Fat Boy Lo. She's really awesome. But now, I'm limited to how long my butt feels like going since I don't have the comfort of the touring seat. Oh well, at least I'm out there riding!!!
My wife made me get the touring bike. I have a VTX 1800R before, great for me, horrible for her. I always wanted a Road King, never paid any attention to a bike with a fairing or tour pak. Good friend of mine rides an Electra Glide and my wife always envied how comfortable his wife looked so we stopped at the HD dealer one Sunday when we were all riding and came home with the ole man bike, which I dearly love now!!

Quick Reply: Chattahoochee National Forest Ride - 9/3/11