The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:21 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,508 Likes on 8,454 Posts

COOKEVILLE — The first day of the Tennessee State Harley Owners Group (H.O.G) Rally kicked off in a big way with a ride to Alvin C. York State Park in Pall Mall, Tenn., which was led by Heath Calhoun, an American veteran who lost both legs in Iraq and went on to win the silver medal in the Paralympics in Sochi earlier this year.

Calhoun said there were about 300 bikes along on yesterday’s ride and some of those bikes had a passenger. Calhoun works at the Appleton Harley Davidson, which provided catfish to the 400-plus riders that participated on yesterday’s ride.

Visitors at the park are able to see the home and the grave of York, the most decorated soldier in World War I. Inside the Sgt. Alvin C. York General Store and Visitor’s Center, people can watch a ten-minute video on York’s life, “Sgt. York Legacy in Action,” which is narrated by Walter Cronkite.

Calhoun sat down with the Herald-Citizen after the ride, which marked Calhoun’s first time at Alvin C. York State Park. “Great ride, great time,” Calhoun said of the ride. The ride came the day after Memorial Day, a day Calhoun said is about “remembering those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.” Calhoun, who has lived in Clarksville, Tenn., since he was about 20 years old,seemed to also take pride in the fact York was a fellow Tennessean.

After serving about four months in Iraq, Calhoun was injured and lost both legs. Calhoun said it was the time he spent at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C., where he learned how to ski. He said alpine skiing was a form of rehabilitation and he said it was beneficial in his recovery. “It gave something for me to focus on,” Calhoun said.

Following his time at Walter Reed Medical Center, he went on to compete in the Paralympics. In the Paralympics earlier this year in Sochi, Calhoun was a silver medalist. The Alpine Skiing event he placed silver in was the Men’s Super Combined, sitting event, according to the Sochi2014.com website.

In Sochi, Calhoun participated in seven events, according to the website.

He had one second place finish, three fourth place finishes, one seventh place finish, one 13th place finish and he did not finish in one event.

In addition to Sochi, he also participated in three events at the 2010 Paralympics in Vancouver, according to the website. Although he didn’t win a medal in Vancouver, he did have an eighth place finish, a tenth place finish and he did not finish one event.

Other than his performances in the paralympics, Calhoun also participated in the World Championships last year. He participated in five events there. He had one fifth place finish, one seventh place finish, one 13th place finish, one 23rd place finish and he did not finish in one event.

Calhoun said he going to retire from skiing because he has kids at home. He said he has been skiing for the last eight years. He said his children have skied. “Living in Tennessee, it’s not something we can do a lot.”

Calhoun said soldiers get more respect than they used to back in the days when the Vietnam veterans came back from the war. He said the Vietnam vets have made a point to make sure that never happens again.

“I hope people do understand the price of freedom,” he said.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Good Morning, PoZerZ!

.........and Thank You, JDub, for the "one the scene" reporting of the Tennessee H.O.G. rally in Cookeville. Must be skeery down there this week.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Mornin all...Thanks for postin that Jdub.....sounds like things are going well in Cookeville.
We still got some showers splashin thru here....posetabe like that all day.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Didn't see ya sneeeeeekin in there Al...Mornin....I think Ucan prawly got wet yesterday.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Mornin', Doc...I saw the radar from down yer way yesterday, I think yer right with UCan. The weather you got is what they were predicting for up here...not a drop all day. Weatheridiots probably had the radar map upside down..confused NE and SW!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:23 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Site iz actin screwy.....kicked me out twice already....

Old 05-29-2014, 05:26 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Site iz actin screwy.....kicked me out twice already....
I'm gettin' the pop up ads on the other side, but not in here.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

hmmmm....they musta changed sumpthin...I don't seem to see'em in here now. They were here when I 1st signed in this morning.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by BARACU
I'm gettin' the pop up ads on the other side, but not in here.
Just stay here then....You'll only get in trouble over onna other side anyway!!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Just stay here then....You'll only get in trouble over onna other side anyway!!
I try not to say anything over there.