The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fortunato
The 747's have been gone for a while. We acquired them when we bought Flying Tigers, back in '89... Really had no use for 'em...
Flying Tigers flew me back and forth to Germany in '74 and '75. I felt like cargo.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Originally Posted by krusty1
those are the best rides of all
Gotta agree, krusty!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM
scoteh
Club Member

My last class of kids, whom I spent three years with, are graduating tonight. It will be great to see them all together one last time. What a great group of kids they have been, and it has been a joy watching them grow from 4th Graders into young adults.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fortunato
Hindsight is 20/20, brother... Who knew, right? It certainly could've went either way...

I signed on in '83... I wasn't even lookin' for another job at the time. I also didn't have too many financial responsibilities back then. I was 21, the company was still small, the starting pay was decent, and I figured, "what the hell", I'll take a shot at it. Why not... Over 30 years later, I'm still here, and very happy to be!

I flew jump-seat outta MEM about 10 or 15 years ago with a former Marine pilot who had a single-digit employee number... Real nice guy! Crazy sense of humor...
36 years later, I was just glad it was over. First 10 years went pretty good, then got the first paycut in the industry...

Friend of mine did go to Memphis, flew jumpseat several times, to several countries, said the DC10 had the best seat, sat right next to that big side cockpit window. I never flew up front in one of those. Best for me was the little 9's, seat was slightly above and behind and between the pilots, could see out front better than they could. Boeing jump seats were cramped and not much view, tucked behind the pilot's seat. Flew over the Grand Canyon once with the three of us and two women stuffed in that little cockpit, was pleasantly crowded. DC9 flight attendants weren't always careful handing coffee to the pilots, but a boob in the face never bothered me anyway.

Woulda liked to do a jumpseat in an A330, but by then the fooking nuts had run those airliners into buildings and no more jumpseats. Guess that was the least of our problems over that...

Strangest jump seat was when a Vietnam chopper vet flew into the runway, tower said 500' ceiling and the co-pilot didn't call out altitude like he was supposed to (was looking out the window, thinking he'd see the runway), made a real solid 3 point landing, more like 50' on the runway. Everybody decided the best thing was just keep quiet about that one, everybody was in the wrong. At least he did an almost perfect zero visibility landing in an unqualified plane. When I saw the runway a split second before hitting it, was a feeling of disbelief; that wasn't supposed to happen! Surprising how many goofs I've seen pilots do in airliners, some of them just shouldn't be there. Most are really good, though. Despite how downhill the job went, had some interesting times.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Flying Tigers flew me back and forth to Germany in '74 and '75. I felt like cargo.
I've been more comfortable in cargo planes with no seats than the sardine cans we endure today. Ain't about to pay for first, and only got it twice non-revving. Only reason I don't just spend a day or two in Hawaii or Europe occasionally, ain't gonna squeeze in one of those economy seats that long - and it's at least a couple hunnert bucks a day away from home. If it ain't on a motorcycle, traveling ain't much of a thrill for me.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Back from The King....then a ride around..a trip to the post office...then another to the autoparts store....lookin pretty dark out there now so I came back home. Gotta go out again inna bit...prawly go with the OL in her cage....That is an adventure in itself!!!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I don't care if I ever get on another airplane.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Spent a couple of hours this morning washing the roof of the RV. First the power washer, then soap with a big brush, and finally the power washer again. It lives under an oak tree, and the the roof was mighty disgusting. It is all pretty now, so I'll park it back under the tree so it can get grimy again. I am too wore out to do the rest of it yet.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
scoteh
Club Member

There's a car washing service in Chris' parking garage at work. She had the guy do the whole deal on the CRV yesterday. The guy even buffed that baby up. Darn thing looks as good as new, and I am not kidding. I have never done that good of job on any vehicle. It was worth whatever she paid the guy, even more so since I didn't have to do it.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Not having to do it is the best part!!!!