The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Fortunately, I married a woman who dislikes shopping of any kind. Car shopping and buying is totally left to me, after she tells me what model of car she wants. Right now it would be which Honda she wants.

When we bought the Civic, I tried to get her to look at all manner of comparable vehicles, but she kept telling me to buy her a Civic with a sunroof.
In Japanese cars, think Nissan Altimas are pretty comfy compared to Hondas, but Nissans are absolutely awful to work on. But these days, what isn't? Something happens to my minivan, I'll say the heck with having a taxi cab and get a pickup. Looking for a pickup this year anyway, I gotta get a toy hauler for escaping Frozelandia in the winter.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
I have an air hammer/rivet gun, but I've had them expand the end of the metal you're beating on, and that could crack the case, would make it harder to pull through anyway. Don't know yet if I can manage the transmission in my press, but would try that first. When I cut through one side, I'll try drawing it out the other with a nut and spacer on the remaining end, but I think the big hangup is in the transmission, so that probably still won't work. Can try anyway, nothing to lose. I wonder if I welded something like a 1" wide x 1/4 thick steel bar to the end of the shaft if I could turn and break it loose? More likely bust the shaft...
Might work, good thing is if you bust the case Delkron is making a reproduction it won't be cheap but cheaper then what the MOCO was charging when they were still making them.I'll check around here too just in case we may have one that is still in one piece, might not be pretty but...... Good luck.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Moldie...think I mentioned it before..PB Blaster. Had good luck with it on disassembling rusty Datsuns...just soak the h*ll out of it for a few days..

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BARACU
Moldie...think I mentioned it before..PB Blaster. Had good luck with it on disassembling rusty Datsuns...just soak the h*ll out of it for a few days..
The Home Depot I'm going to in a little while has 16 cans, I'll pick one up. Problem is, can only reach the outside ends, that's a long way to where it goes through the transmission. If'/when I cut it off, might be a good idea to try soaking the exposed ends in the transmission for a day or two, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

The Home Depot I'm going to in a little while has 16 cans, I'll pick one up. Problem is, can only reach the outside ends, that's a long way to where it goes through the transmission. If'/when I cut it off, might be a good idea to try soaking the exposed ends in the transmission for a day or two, too. Thanks for the suggestion.
You could soak the ends and apply some heat to the middle...may draw it in like soldering a pipe.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

You could soak the ends and apply some heat to the middle...may draw it in like soldering a pipe.
Didn't think of that, might help, thanks.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
DTG37S
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning gents.

Nice ride into the office this morning.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Didn't think of that, might help, thanks.
Moldie...we gotta be careful talkin' about this stuff...real "pozerz" ain't s'posed to know this stuff!!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DTG37S
Morning gents.

Nice ride into the office this morning.
Mornin.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

Moldie...we gotta be careful talkin' about this stuff...real "pozerz" ain't s'posed to know this stuff!!
Maybe we should start a thread in the touring section, I'll bet they will have some wonderful ideas.