The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Ever had the swingarm pivot bolt out? Those things sure like to corrode in tight. Don't know why factories never use never seize. Get the daughter settled in and her stuff outta the way in the grudge, and that's the first next step on the Glide, cutting that bolt and pressing it outta the transmission. Oh please Lord, don't let that case crack...

Axles can be a pain, too. Think the front tire on my '04 mighta been original when I got it a couple years ago, and nobody ever lubed the rear one, hadda do some pounding on both of em, and the swingarm pivot. They'll slip out easy next time...
The good thing is that case is a little stouter in the swing arm area then the 02 and later ones. I personally have never had a problem but then again I have never worked on one that old.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
WTF. Weren't we just talking about dem idiots. Glad she is Okay.
Yep, Central Nevada is really calling me right now!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Mornin Wally. I sunk all my extra cash in paying off my little house. Figurd having a house payed off was better than putting $$$ in a retirement accout. Now we only owe 38k on a 200k house.
At your age, good call. You'll save a heck of a lot more in mortgage insurance than you'd make in savings interest. I'd planned on having a house paid for when I retired, but had to re-finance it for the divorce. Be nice if I could use that house payment for a 5th wheel toy hauler... Oh well, I'm retired and don't have to get a $7.50/hr part time job to survive (lot of them in stores around here), so I ain't complaining.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scoteh
The wife just got smashed into on her way to work. She is not hurt. Gal ran a red and hit her in the passenger side. Door and wheel do not operate. Dang it, we like that car.
Wimen love to shop, she'll probably enjoy looking for a replacement. When it drives you nuts, just remember, she might not have been looking for a replacement... Sort of good news and bad news. Good sure beats the bad this time.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Ever had the swingarm pivot bolt out? Those things sure like to corrode in tight. Don't know why factories never use never seize. Get the daughter settled in and her stuff outta the way in the grudge, and that's the first next step on the Glide, cutting that bolt and pressing it outta the transmission. Oh please Lord, don't let that case crack...

Axles can be a pain, too. Think the front tire on my '04 mighta been original when I got it a couple years ago, and nobody ever lubed the rear one, hadda do some pounding on both of em, and the swingarm pivot. They'll slip out easy next time...
I asked James and he said he had an 87 FXR that had never been apart and he ran into the same thing. Being that it is a steel shaft in an Aluminum case a lot of "fur" grows on them and you get what you got. He has used two different methods sawsall between the case and the cleave block or what he thought worked better an air chisel with a blunt chisel or just a solid steel rod and beat on the fugger.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Daughter's off to boss her staff, and leaving the little guy with a play buddy for the day. I can sure use a day of peace and quiet. Except I gotta go spend money - the low temp element's been out on the clothes dryer for a couple years, and last week the other one quit. Washer & dryer are really old, time for new. Home Depot has as good a price as anybody, takes the old ones away, too. While I'm there, think I'll get that screwdriver set for the daughter, her birthday is next week. The torque wrenches can wait for Christmas. I know, that's an old joke, getting tools for the lady, but she actually suggested it.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Wimen love to shop, she'll probably enjoy looking for a replacement. When it drives you nuts, just remember, she might not have been looking for a replacement... Sort of good news and bad news. Good sure beats the bad this time.
Fortunately, I married a woman who dislikes shopping of any kind. Car shopping and buying is totally left to me, after she tells me what model of car she wants. Right now it would be which Honda she wants.

When we bought the Civic, I tried to get her to look at all manner of comparable vehicles, but she kept telling me to buy her a Civic with a sunroof.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Later, gents!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Checkin' back in....Sco..T , too bad about the car, but good that your wife is OK.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I asked James and he said he had an 87 FXR that had never been apart and he ran into the same thing. Being that it is a steel shaft in an Aluminum case a lot of "fur" grows on them and you get what you got. He has used two different methods sawsall between the case and the cleave block or what he thought worked better an air chisel with a blunt chisel or just a solid steel rod and beat on the fugger.
I have an air hammer/rivet gun, but I've had them expand the end of the metal you're beating on, and that could crack the case, would make it harder to pull through anyway. Don't know yet if I can manage the transmission in my press, but would try that first. When I cut through one side, I'll try drawing it out the other with a nut and spacer on the remaining end, but I think the big hangup is in the transmission, so that probably still won't work. Can try anyway, nothing to lose. I wonder if I welded something like a 1" wide x 1/4 thick steel bar to the end of the shaft if I could turn and break it loose? More likely bust the shaft...