The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Darn. Looks like ice n light snow on the grade here. Now do you steer into a skid or away?
Don't hit the brakes, steer away from the ditch and if all else fails just remember there is a reason you pay for the rip off thing they call insurance.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

Mornin' crew going for a ride in a few. Sunny and in the forties going up to the fifties....WOOT.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well ****... go to sleep and it's jeans and t weather. Wake up freezing *** and raining.. dubya tee eff...

Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

This flu has me wiped out.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skidder
This flu has me wiped out.
That sucks, have you tried getting snockered yet. It may not get rid of the flu bought you can get it drunk.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,733 Posts

argh. busy morning. bright & sunny. state tax e-file rejected, update program & try again. did all that, can't see any changes, hope it wurked this time.

rolling glide around the house to get some other stuff moved. plan is, glide in grudge today.

weather gonna suck the next couple days, & of course the gf hadda plumbing camera day scheduled at the hospital 45 minutes away friday morning (I go to the one 10 minutes away, but ain't many docs use that one, must not give good kick backs). got good news this morning, she re-scheduled for july. i'm overdue for physical, dental, plumbing camera, but I ain't scheduling anything in snow months.

got 3 days left to get ready for the daughter moving in, anyone got a 48' truck i can borrow? got a few things i oughta take to goodwill...

Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Darn. Looks like ice n light snow on the grade here. Now do you steer into a skid or away?
rear drive - steer into it, foot off gas, hope the back end doesn't try becoming the front end
front wheel drive - uphill, power into it
fwd - downhill, coast into it, back end starts coming around, give it power as last resort
fwd - flat, regular tires (those things they call all season tires - ain't no such thing, they're compromise tires, but better'n nuttin) coast into it, give it power as last resort
fwd - flat, snow tires, power into the direction you wanna go, the back end follows; Bridgestone Blizzak tires feel like they have snow glue on em, "all season" don't even come close. Probably a good thing most Minnysota peeps don't use snow tires, they'd just drive faster and hit harder.

If you're driving something front wheel drive with an automatic trans that ain't American, it won't freewheel with engine idling (engine braking even in high gear - something like an Accord will slow down real fast) so you gotta be quick to shift into neutral if you get in a situation where you've lost front end response. Good luck with an import if it starts sliding. Those expensive ones (American too) with traction, stability, and who knows what kinds of computer control - see plenty of em wrecked and off the road, nothing saves you if you drive like a fool.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
rear drive - steer into it, foot off gas, hope the back end doesn't try becoming the front end
front wheel drive - uphill, power into it
fwd - downhill, coast into it, back end starts coming around, give it power as last resort
fwd - flat, regular tires (those things they call all season tires - ain't no such thing, they're compromise tires, but better'n nuttin) coast into it, give it power as last resort
fwd - flat, snow tires, power into the direction you wanna go, the back end follows; Bridgestone Blizzak tires feel like they have snow glue on em, "all season" don't even come close. Probably a good thing most Minnysota peeps don't use snow tires, they'd just drive faster and hit harder.

If you're driving something front wheel drive with an automatic trans that ain't American, it won't freewheel with engine idling (engine braking even in high gear - something like an Accord will slow down real fast) so you gotta be quick to shift into neutral if you get in a situation where you've lost front end response. Good luck with an import if it starts sliding. Those expensive ones (American too) with traction, stability, and who knows what kinds of computer control - see plenty of em wrecked and off the road, nothing saves you if you drive like a fool.
Was talkin bout the bike. Didnt hit any ice. Just rain.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Banned

You crazy fug.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

bikes - fall down, feel pain, maybe break something. Actually, it can be surprising how well they can do in snow. Ice... no. I went partly sideways around 60 for a long ways in a few inches of snow once, that's scary, I wouldn't recommend it. Got to the top of a hill once, didn't like the snow covered view going down and tried to stop. Just went down, and then the bike I slowly slid all the way to the bottom. That was damned cold, blue jeans didn't do much for insulating from froze over pavement, just glad there weren't any dry spots.