The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:24 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Dagummit. Basement floor is 4" thick. Hammer drill jammed a 1/2" drill through it easy enuf, but the handle's broke on the sledge hammer, gonna hafta buy a new one before I proceed. Cut about a 6" square with a cutoff wheel in an old skilsaw I keep for abusing, drill the corners, knock it out, and then dig and try to find out where the kitchen drain joins into the main line. This is gonna be a pita job.
Bought a sledge with one of them new fangled composite handles, my advice, stick with wood. Broke the new one second time I used it.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Ice Ice Baby. Iced in here. No wurk for me tonight. Probably nothing compared to what you guys are use to, but this place is shut down.
Mostly get snow here, ice storms are rare; I'll take snow that ain't too deep to drive through over ice any day. Plows here are real good at keeping at least the main roads navigable in snow storms, but we've had a couple ice storms in the last 20 years that took most of a day to get enough salt on to melt it down just on the main roads; plows don't do anything on ice - except get wrecked like anyone else when they slide off the road...

Old 02-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gs34doc
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......More winter fun!!...Cold water pipe to the kitchen sink froze up.
Hadda go thaw that out. Only ever had that happen once before in the 43 years we've lived in this dump.
Lotta houses in the Atlanta area run plumbing through the outside walls; my Mom had burst water pipes a couple times when she lived there. I had the most wonderful luck of escaping Frozelandia to Tucson in January a few years ago; had the coldest couple days on record and there were skating ponds all over the place from burst pipes. Lots of commercial buildings had water pipes on the backs or sides - on the outside. Friend I was visiting had a pet store, and I got to play plumber, do a very code violating repair - parts were all sold out in a few hours citywide. Was so much of that going on, city had an amnesty period to get it fixed before inspections or fines.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Yep, 4wd gets me out of the snow, all that happens on ice is all four wheels slide.
Minnysota 4 wheelers don't seem to have learned that yet. See more of them in the ditch than cars. Seem to like pointing their tires in the air, too...

Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JW1200
It's snowing to beat the band now. All the ice will be covered, not good..
Snow that was supposed to be over by 10:30am hasn't stopped yet, 3:30pm here now. Light powder, not deep. Yet...

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Bought a sledge with one of them new fangled composite handles, my advice, stick with wood. Broke the new one second time I used it.
Hmm, had my eye on a fiberglass handled one with the metal head cushioned in rubber. Haven't heard anything bad about fiberglass (long as you don't miss and whack something with the handle). Seem to remember composite ones cost more, too. I'll stay away from them, thanks.

Anyone used a fiberglass handled sledge hammer?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Hmm, had my eye on a fiberglass handled one with the metal head cushioned in rubber. Haven't heard anything bad about fiberglass (long as you don't miss and whack something with the handle). Seem to remember composite ones cost more, too. I'll stay away from them, thanks.

I have missed many a time with ax's and mauls and hit the handle, actually I'm pretty good at it. This was not one of those times. Composite shovel works great, love it. Composite post hole diggers, work great I love'um.Local hardware said they would give me a new one free of charge because there is a warranty on it.Declined and got the wood one. I may have just got a bad one but I wasn't in the mood that day to take a chance on having to run back to the store with a second busted sledge.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:28 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I,m home from the spooky cabin.
Spotted a couple wolves in the woods...big guys.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Yup, got one. Love it. No problems yet, but I haven't "missed" yet either.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,601 Posts

We had to get some at work. Some companies we work for require you to only bring tools with fiberglass/ composite handles. No wood handles allowed.