The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Morning Al.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM
woodtick50
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 647 Posts

What the heck is this, 3 above here this morning. Feel for you guys having cold temps.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Mornin Tick....You havin a heat wave up there??....Gonna hafta break out the shorts & sun block!!!!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:41 AM
woodtick50
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Mornin Tick....You havin a heat wave up there??....Gonna hafta break out the shorts & sun block!!!!
Yep, standing out on the deck drinking my coffee while the dog is making her lap around the fence line.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Morning all, yep tick you are a little warmer then me, by about 20 degrees. The truck was about one or 2 more cranks from not cranking at all.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Good news this morning, seeing that KR is past the mess sweeping through 'tween FL and PA. That was a fairly long drive for one day.

Ain't gonna be bad here today, light snow sposed to stop in an hour or two, and reach positive double digit temps.

Mark, you may have read about Li batteries cranking better in cold if you run a current through them first (like 5 seconds of headlights) to warm them up. Wondered if that would make a difference with lead acid, so been experimenting. Around 10* or colder, van starts cranking slower, but a few seconds of headlight first, and it cranks almost as well as when it's warmer. That trick may work on all batteries. Don't crank with the lights on, though.

I learned real quick in Minnysota it's a good idea to carry a jumper battery in the winter; I've had a battery die in it's second year here, and of course you can leave a light on by accident any time; I've used those jumpers several times, on other peep's cars, too. This is my first winter with one of those little Li jumpers, haven't had an opportunity to use it on a car yet, hope it works ok. The early bulky jumpers lasted years, but the later ones I've only gotten a couple years out of; they're getting expensive to keep a good one in the car; hope this Li jumper lasts as long as they claim, would be way cheaper over the long run. I have used it to charge my phone, does that just fine and still shows a full charge after.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Good news this morning, seeing that KR is past the mess sweeping through 'tween FL and PA. That was a fairly long drive for one day.

Ain't gonna be bad here today, light snow sposed to stop in an hour or two, and reach positive double digit temps.

Mark, you may have read about Li batteries cranking better in cold if you run a current through them first (like 5 seconds of headlights) to warm them up. Wondered if that would make a difference with lead acid, so been experimenting. Around 10* or colder, van starts cranking slower, but a few seconds of headlight first, and it cranks almost as well as when it's warmer. That trick may work on all batteries. Don't crank with the lights on, though.

I learned real quick in Minnysota it's a good idea to carry a jumper battery in the winter; I've had a battery die in it's second year here, and of course you can leave a light on by accident any time; I've used those jumpers several times, on other peep's cars, too. This is my first winter with one of those little Li jumpers, haven't had an opportunity to use it on a car yet, hope it works ok. The early bulky jumpers lasted years, but the later ones I've only gotten a couple years out of; they're getting expensive to keep a good one in the car; hope this Li jumper lasts as long as they claim, would be way cheaper over the long run. I have used it to charge my phone, does that just fine and still shows a full charge after.
I turn the key on without cranking for a few seconds I'll try the lights trick next time. Truck didn't move yesterday and we know what happens if they just sit in the cold.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Getting a little heat into that battery....any battery.... works wonders!!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......More winter fun!!...Cold water pipe to the kitchen sink froze up.
Hadda go thaw that out. Only ever had that happen once before in the 43 years we've lived in this dump.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:03 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......More winter fun!!...Cold water pipe to the kitchen sink froze up.
Hadda go thaw that out. Only ever had that happen once before in the 43 years we've lived in this dump.
Got the same thing at my house when temps get down around 0*. Foundation is about 30" thick and lines run between two floor joists that are only 6" apart so you can't get in to put heat tape on them. Solved the thawing problem by jamming a hair dryer up there hooked to a remote control outlet. Keep controller on window sill in the kitchen. When it freezes just hit the remote, hairdryer fires up and a few minutes later the water is running. The only weird thing is sometimes the extra garage door opener on my wife's side that we keep in the house sets off the hair dryer.