The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Sup KR?......

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 PM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts

Hey Ken hope you don't try the snow yerownself! My back's got me wonderin' if there isn't a sturgeon on my horizon.... Just had to move the cars around to accomodate my daughters...the snow is coming down, should stop around 1PM. Windchills are second only to last year... ugly. Won't let the daughter go home period. I'll be droppin' off insulation to put in the Apts crawl space for my guys to install and they're gonna stuff it only at the ends of the floor joists but that is supposed to be the biggest source of heat loss in a crawl. It's about 9 degrees out. Anybody else notice the days seem to be getting longer? Thank goodness. And what does that phrase mean any way?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by gs34doc
Sup KR?......
Not much... in from the grudge.... lurking about...

Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by coastie56
Hey Ken hope you don't try the snow yerownself! My back's got me wonderin' if there isn't a sturgeon on my horizon.... Just had to move the cars around to accomodate my daughters...the snow is coming down, should stop around 1PM. Windchills are second only to last year... ugly. Won't let the daughter go home period. I'll be droppin' off insulation to put in the Apts crawl space for my guys to install and they're gonna stuff it only at the ends of the floor joists but that is supposed to be the biggest source of heat loss in a crawl. It's about 9 degrees out. Anybody else notice the days seem to be getting longer? Thank goodness. And what does that phrase mean any way?
Not enough around here to worry about.... 1-2 inches coming our way tomorrow I guess... hadn't had plow anything....

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Hi Coastie.....Yeah, not much doin...Cold an colder..Poseta start with the snow showers.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,613 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Update from Mizzery: Current temp is 12*, wind is NW @ 20 mph with gusts to 25, wind chill is -6*. Sooooo........ just about the same. I thought we were supposed to be more of a southern state.
oh yeah, just like we're s'posed to be temperal.......it's a joke, mother Nature is pissed at us plain an simple.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

All these skool delays an such has got me all outta wack. Wuz up 'fore the chickens an even the Ucans this mornin. Think I'm packin it in an goin ta bed.
I'll catch up witchya tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:39 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Those plastic sheet window insulator kits with the double back tape werk real good for that. I hadda old window in this house that I just put a piece of 1/8 plexiglas in, sealed the edges with silicon sealer. The plastic inner piece never even got cold to the touch. That went away when I got new windows. Wunder how much heating bill a house would save if it had plastic inner windows...
I just read an awesome trick. Cut a piece of bubble wrap to the size of the window glass. Just spray plain water on the glass and put the bubble wrap up, bubble side to the glass, flat side out to the room. It will stick to the wet glass, and when the glass dries it will stay. Clear enough to let in plenty of light, but it cuts the heat loss by up to 50%! Just peel it off when warmer weather gets here. Pretty cool!

Originally Posted by Imold
...Daughter quit her job. Second time she's done that since college. Worries me, but she says that's how folks move up in the business world. First job she had, folks told her she was welcome back anytime, probably the one she just quit, too, so she might have something to fall back on if the new job doesn't work out. Probably wouldn't have a problem getting another one, has had lunch with people that were trying to hire her. Oh man, I would loved a job like that, real quiet, no physical labor, nice office, sunlight and green stuff in winter, and so clean; don't think I ever had a really clean job. And she was the building boss there, won't be in the new job. Hope it works out, lotta folks out there can't find a job that pays well. Gonna miss having lunch with her at work - nice cafeteria there, too. Oh yeah, it paid fine, too.

goodbye... somebody's gonna be real happy to get her job.
"Quit", or took a better job? If the latter, yup, that's what you do these days. Well, for quite a bit longer than "these days". Stickin' with one company for a career is pretty much no longer a good idea. For a multitude of reasons. Best of luck to her!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by coastie56
Yup I share your feelings for my daughter's career also. Used to be if ya stuck around for 30 ya got a pension. The Republicans have been real sly at duckin' the blame for the loss of the American Dream by allowing bankruptcies to obliterate pensions along with those bastards at the PBGc. I watched a friend at Ford's Rouge steel lose half his after 33 years when the Republican controlled justice department allowed it to be sold and split up to a guy who sold off the most valuable tooling and they then rolled over again and let it be sold to the "Fn" Russians (Sevastopol) and lwft the American workers scrambling like dogs for the scraps of what was left of their pensions. Of course the remainder of working Americans don't have any hope of a pension ever and as such are totally ignorant of labors historic struggle.
I thought sure my pension was going to the PGBC when the airline went chapter 11, but that was about the only thing the company didn't do to us that they could. With only 3 years left, I felt the 30% paycut was way better than getting screwed on the pension!

Daughter is pumping her 401, and this new job contributes a good sized chunk into it whether she matches or not. 401s and IRAs may very well be better than disappearing pensions, long as people put into them. If I'd had a 401 starting with my first airline paycheck, would have had well over a million in it by retirement. I thought pumping that was more secure than the pension or S.S., put as much in as I could. These young kids that don't worry about savings till they're over 40 are kissing their retirement goodbye before it starts. Lot of em don't have a pot to **** in anyway; lot of jobs in this country, not so many that pay a living wage, though.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I just read an awesome trick. Cut a piece of bubble wrap to the size of the window glass. Just spray plain water on the glass and put the bubble wrap up, bubble side to the glass, flat side out to the room. It will stick to the wet glass, and when the glass dries it will stay. Clear enough to let in plenty of light, but it cuts the heat loss by up to 50%! Just peel it off when warmer weather gets here. Pretty cool!

"Quit", or took a better job? If the latter, yup, that's what you do these days. Well, for quite a bit longer than "these days". Stickin' with one company for a career is pretty much no longer a good idea. For a multitude of reasons. Best of luck to her!
Never heard the bubble wrap trick. I just threw a bunch away last month...

She took the new job before she gave notice to the current one. Yep, that's what she says, stay too long with a job and you won't be able to get another one 'cause employers will think you ain't ambitious. When I was her age, it was all about loyalty, jump ship too many times and nobody wanted you. Glad I'm outta all that, makes me tired just thinking about it.