The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posers' Coffee House, All Bullshit Accepted, Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:23 PM
mskrwould
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advanced orthopedic anatomy discussion (quick and dirty version): rotator cuff is made up of 4 different tendons. Each tendon has a different function. Partial tears of any of the tendons most likely do not require surgery, just physical therapy and maybe a cortisone shot. Complete tears of one or more of the tendons should, in all likelihood be managed surgically as they do NOT repair themselves... EVER! If left unattended long enough, the muscle and tendon will pull away from each other (retraction) and will atrophy thus making the tear un repairable, ever... If the tear is bad enough that it leaves a person unable to move their arm from their side to grab the bars of a bike, I would say it is a good bet that it is a complete tear. A cortisone shot is not even on the recommendation list at that point. No surgery is guaranteed, nothing in life is, and the rehab is extremely long (speaking from experience), but it promises a better outcome than doing nothing... Will know a lot more after the visit with the doc and the mri. Thanks in advance for all prayers offered.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:37 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Bummer ken, Bad News , Good Luck on the DR. visit Monday.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mskrwould
Advanced orthopedic anatomy discussion (quick and dirty version): rotator cuff is made up of 4 different tendons. Each tendon has a different function. Partial tears of any of the tendons most likely do not require surgery, just physical therapy and maybe a cortisone shot. Complete tears of one or more of the tendons should, in all likelihood be managed surgically as they do NOT repair themselves... EVER! If left unattended long enough, the muscle and tendon will pull away from each other (retraction) and will atrophy thus making the tear un repairable, ever... If the tear is bad enough that it leaves a person unable to move their arm from their side to grab the bars of a bike, I would say it is a good bet that it is a complete tear. A cortisone shot is not even on the recommendation list at that point. No surgery is guaranteed, nothing in life is, and the rehab is extremely long (speaking from experience), but it promises a better outcome than doing nothing... Will know a lot more after the visit with the doc and the mri. Thanks in advance for all prayers offered.
Dead on

Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,953 Likes on 19,384 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Checkin in... rightarm is kaputz... can't lift it.. ER doc says torn rotator.... x-rays showed nuttin broke or dislocated, just what I wanted to hear.

I havta contact my doc on Monday and get in to see him, then surgery I would guess. Looks like my summer ended today...

That's all I got for now...
I had shoulder surgery April 2013 ... Torn rotator, partially torn bicep, partial tear in another ligament and bone spurs removed ... By July I was better than before the surgery. The key is rehabbing ... morning, noon and night. It's hard to believe that one of my most difficult hurdles to achieve was reaching out to open a kitchen cupboard. Now I can do everything, even throw a football .... Good Luck on the diagnosis and God's speed on a full recovery.

P.S.
One of the more difficult tasks was "cleaning up" after getting rid of last nights dinner :>)

Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 PM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

That sucks Ken and right before the big trip! Thoughts and prayer out to you for a good Drs. Visit and if necessary a speedy recovery.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that does it...not gonna do anything strenous ever again.....'course I haven't done anything strenuous in years...but you can't be too careful.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Checkin in....

Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
Checkin in....
Hey Putz....sorry to hear that. Hopefully your DR. or an Orthopod will have another option. Keepin' fingers crossed.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 PM
krwould
Club Member

Thanks guys... never planned on going into the woods yesterday, I had too much crap to do before leaving on Tuesday. Grandson lost a part off his bike and I figured I would go look for it. Guess its his fault... not... **** happens and it was my turn in the *******..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 PM
krwould
Club Member

Originally Posted by BARACU
Hey Putz....sorry to hear that. Hopefully your DR. or an Orthopod will have another option. Keepin' fingers crossed.
I will talk to him Monday... when I see him that's another story... hopefully quickly....