The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather jackets, where did you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 AM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leather jackets, where did you get yours?

My leather jacket is rather thin and not suit for chilly riding in the AM going to work. So I am looking for a thicket leather jacket. I know this topic has been beaten to death but I want to know where you bought your jacket (will have to buy sight unseen and w/o trying on) and the durability of your jacket. BTW will wear this jacket even when I put up my bike for the winter. I really do not want a thin jacket as I am considering selling my jacket on CL to recoup some of the money. Yeah will probably need to get some gloves too (gauntlet?). So fire away...

Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 269 Likes on 89 Posts

GF and I both have 2 each from Leather Up. Very satisfied. Buffalo leather with heavy duty YKK zippers.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:53 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

You probably better off with layers under leather like thermal underwear and all other items like balaclava, neck warmer, face mask, heated gloves, gauntlet gloves, long johns etc

A vest to add on top as well

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 AM
blueridge
Tourer

Leatherup...I have looked at their *slim* helmets which they no longer have. I will look at their jackets. Never thought to look at their jackets. But really hesitant to pay Harley a premium for their leathers. One guy at my work (don't know who he is but he had leather jacket with tags showing Windriders and I looked that up and its a Harley jacket as this shows up when googling. Trying to avoid paying nearly $450 for leather jacket from Harley. I agree with layers...this is what I am going to do as I have lots of warm winter clothes but just need the jacket.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM
GI_John
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 110 leather jacket that I purchased early this year. Only worn it twice. I purchased an XL because it was the only one left in the store and I do have long arms. All of my coats are XL but this one is too bulky. I found a large at my local HD store. Tried it on and was a perfect fit. If XL is your size we can talk offline.

I'm a fair weather rider, 50+ degrees, clear skies. This jacket kept me warm at night in 40 degree temps. I was impressed with how much it blocks the wind. Kept me so warm that it made me focus on my toes and fingers getting numb.

Last edited by GI_John; 09-22-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

without a decent liner a thick jacket can also be cold. Have ever thought about getting a heated jacket liner?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 AM
RebelBugler
Cruiser

I purchased a Milwaukee Leather by Shaf Jacket from LeatherUp.com on closeout. Heavy yet pliable 1.44mm naked cow leather with YKK zippers and zippered air vents and Full sleeve polyester quilted zip-out liner.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I was bitten by the Harley bug when I got mine. I'd had my bike for less than a month, so I got mine from the dealership. It was the least gaudy looking one they have, with gray stripes and "Harley" on the sleeves. It's pretty heavy and very warm.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I read that as "It's pretty...." :-) need more coffee.

I bought mine at Leather4U, it is made by First(?). I survived 32 degree mornings and evenings riding west on Route 66. The jacket kept the wind off but I learned that unlike human powered sports you need some warm layers help tight to your skin by a compression layer. Don't worry at western desert speed limits and 32 degrees there is no danger of sweating.

For the return trip I bought a Freeze-out jacket from cyclegear, it works much better than the Patagonia fleece jacket I had been using. Since my leather jacket has giant full size front pockets (LEO jacket) I used a bicycle racer trick and put a folded newspaper section in each side for more wind protection.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

What size do you wear?

I've got an awesome quality First Gear Scout jacket with a removeable liner. Lots of vents that open so it's great for summer or winter.

Size is XXL, doesn't fit me anymore.

Send me a P/M if you're interested.

Quick Reply: leather jackets, where did you get yours?