The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather jackets, where did you get yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

LeatherUp is crap. You *will* get cheaply tanned leather jackets and *will* get what you pay for. I know...I have one of their PoS jackets where the main zipper and the zipper on the long pocket both broke within a year. It has different thicknesses of panels...one which is so thin I always worried it would tear if I farted too loudly, it's bad thin. None of the leather is soft and supple as good tanned leather should be and no amount of mink oil or neatsfoot oil has helped it one bit...the oils soak right through and the leather retains zero of it and isn't water resistant because of it.

Most people have no clue what 'good' leather is supposed to look and feel like, so when they get one of these Paki-made leather jackets, it's usually the first and only leather 'anything' they've had like that and think it's 'great!' because it cost them so little compared to prices they've seen on well-made leather jackets.

Do yourself a favor...if you're going to get a leather jacket, spend the scratch for one that will last you a lifetime - literally. You'll probably end up giving it to your kid and he'll be able to use most of his life too...so long as the both of you take a little care with it like keeping it oiled if you ride an awful lot and are in the sun and weather often.

My Paki made cheapo LeatherUp Pistol Pete is still sitting in my closet gathering dust because everyone I've tried to *give* it to around here doesn't want to try and afford to get the zippers fixed (probably because it'll cost more than the PoS jacket itself cost!) and most have commented on the cheap leather used on it and how dry and rough it feels...and this is on a jacket that was used *one* winter only. (I tan my own deerskins and know a saddler and farrier for more than 20 years, I know leather and the difference from well tanned (even mediocre tanned) leather from the garbage used in these cheapo leather selling places like LeatherUp)

Go to Foxcreekleather.com or Legendaryusa.com and spend the scratch for a well made, made in America *real* leather jacket. You will walk taller knowing the money stayed here in America and didn't go to some punk in a country that hates *any* western world nation, and because you will notice the difference in the leather used in one of those jackets compared to a LeatherUp jacket (if you get lucky enough to meet someone with a LeatherUp jacket compare them and you will instantly thank your deity you spent the money on a real leather jacket company!).

My Legendary jacket has allowed me to ride in 18 degree weather (though I did have long underwear and a flannel shirt on underneath it). It was tolerable. When I rode with the LeatherUp crap, I had the same clothing and had to put a half-inch of newspaper inside it to barely make it home on the same ride distance. In rain...I stay dry in the Legendary (other than what goes down the front of the neck opening, which isn't much). In the LU jacket, I was *soaked* when I got to the same destination.

Oh, I'll get all kinds of flack on here about this, but I'll also be able to laugh at those same people 15 years down the road when I ask how many of those PoS LeatherUp jackets they've gone through while I'm still wearing and using my Legendary (which is now 4 years old and looks still like new...picture at link).

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Pill...ideshow/jacket

Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It also needs to be stated that "Buffalo" leather used for the imported jackets is not the majestic American Bison but instead the nasty Water Buffalo. Lighter, less durable leather.
Two jackets that I have been most satisfied with are my Foxcreek and my U.S. made Vanson. Both of these can be found mildly used on the net.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have two jackets one from Fox Creek and another from Hillside USA, Both American made with life time warranty. As far as quality they are an even match with the exception of the Hillside being a little bit thicker leather at 1.6 to 1.8 mm and the fox Creek being 1.4 to 1.6mm. Not really much of difference. I would not hesitate to buy either one again. Buy quality once and keep it for a life time.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
What size do you wear?

I've got an awesome quality First Gear Scout jacket with a removeable liner. Lots of vents that open so it's great for summer or winter.

Size is XXL, doesn't fit me anymore.

Send me a P/M if you're interested.
Same here. 20 yr. old Hein Gericke First Gear Scout that is heavy as hell and no issues.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I have a custom made jacket that was made in Kiel, WI. It is a great motorcycle jacket, very heavy, made for holding your arms out. I wouldn't want to wear it, as a Winter Jacket, because it is heavy and snug.
If you can't afford a quality leather, get a good armored textile until you can. I hate the feel of cheap leather.If you save $50/month, in a year, you can buy a good Hillside, Fox Creek, Branded, Schott leather jacket.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:15 PM
twothousandfour-supr-glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LeatherUp no bueno

Bought one, that included armor, liner, and is vented. The main zipper broke and when I contacted them about it they would not repair or replace. I had the main zipper replaced on my dime. Soon after the zipper for the liner crapped out too, so now it is my fall,spring riding jacket with a vest as an outer layer.
I use a Fieldsheer as my winter riding jacket now.
FWIW I ride in temps in the high 30's/low 40's during my winter morning commute to work at 3:30 am.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Woofron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice your name is blueridge. If you are in or near the blue ridge mountains in southern Virginia, you can goto Fox Creek and try their jackets on. They are located in Indepence, VA. They make them right there. They are really nice people.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

Rode up to fox creek to get mine (nice ride in the hills.) and also own a FXRG (buddy got fatter so he gave it to me:-) both are nice thick leather with pull out liners.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM
charle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my Fox Creek for four seasons now. And I have had no problems with it. I would never consider buying a cheap leather jacket.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

www.newenough.com check their clearance section

Quick Reply: leather jackets, where did you get yours?