The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:56 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
newbie tell tale sign is.... turning and not leaning the bike into turns
I didn't know you could turn a bike without leaning. My big problem with twisties in the mountains is change of vision. I need a background(trees or mountain) and the same lighting conditions. I don't see well going from light to dark. But hey, I'll catch up at the scenic lookout or the first long straight away.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Two times you don't lean. 1. when riding with a sidecar. and 2. when going under 5MPH.,,

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:00 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys worrying about "chicken strips" crack me up. I've done my time on the track and have had rubber peeling and rolling over the edge of the edges of many tires. I have worn the toes off of my boots and have went through several sets of knee pucks.

Here where I live it is mostly flat and straight. You have a pretty hard time going to the edge of the tire at legal speeds around here. Most of the curves around here have gravel thrown up on them due to people who cant drive hooking their inside tires on the shoulder to get around the corner. My pegs are ground down, but I guess I'm still a rookie because I have unused rubber at the edges of my tires. Gimme a break.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:05 PM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member

BTW some of you guys crack me up. My bike is bigger than your bike?

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:21 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I didn't know you could turn a bike without leaning. My big problem with twisties in the mountains is change of vision. I need a background(trees or mountain) and the same lighting conditions. I don't see well going from light to dark. But hey, I'll catch up at the scenic lookout or the first long straight away.

I had a hell of a time with this on the southern end of the blueridge. Turns around the mountain and bam...a tunnel. I would go through that tunnel like I eas 15 beers deep because of the transition of light.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:24 PM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Simple Man
Most of the curves around here have gravel thrown up on them due to people who cant drive hooking their inside tires on the shoulder to get around the corner.
Ding Ding Ding. You sir are a smart man.

You know guys I am pretty laid back in my older years and you don't see many angry posts from me. However every time some guy posts about making curves edge to edge I remember a fallen Brother and shake my head. Edge to edge is great on paper and a track but it is a sin that can lead to death on the road.

Chicken strips? Give me a frekin brake. If you are so intent on figuring out who has a longer ***** get together and slow race. The slow race is the great equalizer.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:34 PM
Polisci69
Banned

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Left foot only down at a stop, not giving up the rear brake.

No see sawing of the front wheel as they come to a stop or ride slowly.

When stopped, bike is in left wheel track, right foot on peg or board. Bike is not cockeyed in the lane because they stopped where the bike stopped; they MADE the bike stop exactly where they wanted.

They don't put a foot down in oil, water, coolant or other unstable footing.

Head checks AND signals when changing lanes.

Tires are worn nearly to the edges instead of "Chicken Strips" of brand new tire except in the very middle.

Protective gear, helmet, jacket, gloves & boots that don't just slip on. If they slipped on, they can slip off. Another sign is gear that's worn and sun faded. They do NOT look like they just came from the set of a pirate movie.

Can make full lock U turns and standing start U turns to the left and right. Head and eyes are twisted to see where they want to go, not where they are now.

They negotiate curves outside, inside, outside. Meaning right hand curve entry close to the yellow line, left hand curve entry close to the white line. Reduces angle, increases visibility.

Ground speed in curves is fast but the rider doesn't look dramatic doing it, almost looking slow and deliberate. Never crosses the centerline from running wide.

They are never surprised when they meet another vehicle in a curve coming the other way (in their own lane) and consequently don't jerk the controls or brake for no reason.

Brake before a turn and throttle out. Sometimes they don't even brake for a turn at all because they judged corner speed so accurately that they only needed engine braking.

I could go on and on. The signs are there if you know what to look for. Anybody can buy a guitar and play Smoke On The Water; few can really play, and a small minority can make it cry, moan and sing.

Seems like i just read the MSF handbook, verbatim. Nice.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:41 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,043 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Running in heavy traffic on the interstate at 65 and exiting off in a 25 mph sharp turn exit and dropping a couple three gears and matching the throttle to gear range without a surge in either directions.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-24-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2013 | 07:47 PM
Polisci69
Banned

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
I know I'm a new guy and will probably get blasted for responding, but whatever. I think this list describes about 0.01% of riders. And of those that practice all of these things I bet less than half do these things ALL the time. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I get in streaks where my balance is off for some reason and I wobble to stops or stop crooked. Other streaks of great stops, perfectly balanced and right where I intended.

One thing I keep reading and think is complete BS is stopping with only 1 foot on the ground. Not 'giving up the back brake'? Not buying it, and I think it's asking for trouble to give up the balance achieved with 2 feet. The front brake isn't enough when stopped?!?! Right. A good gust of wind from the left and over you go....but not giving up the back brake!

Anyway....my $0.02. Fire away.

I completely agree with you on this. Two legs are better than one. Also, I love my front brake, i've become very proficient with it and NEVER over-squeeze. Some rides I will never use my rear brake, unless some dipshit pulls out in front of me. I don't wait for a micro second after stopping before I put my feet down either. My legs seem slightly long on the RKC platforms (still very comfortable), but I bring them slightly forward and down about five feet before the complete stop and my balance is great. I raise them immediately upon forward movement. Thats my two cents as well.

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:52 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

I haven't read all the advice here, but, I put my foot down to pivot into turns. Right turn, right foot. Left turn, left foot.
Is this ok?

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider