The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014 | 09:08 AM
OU812
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
We all know what makes a squid a squid, but I got to thinking of the things I see that tell me the guy has a good handle on his machine, or signs of an experianced rider.

Here's a few to start off the list. Please add your own.

1. Smooth pull away. Lots of guys either blip, or rev their bike too much when pulling away from a stop. To me, the expert can make his bike smoothly pull away with both his clutch and his throttle perfectly in tune so it pulls away like an automatic car. I'm talking normal street riding not track days.

2. Perfect balance at slow speeds. Watch most guys take off. Untill they reach a speed of about 25mph a lot of guys wobble all over their lane. A good rider can pull away without any wobble.

3. Guys that ride mostly around the speedlimit, but exceed it just enough to keep moving very slightly faster than traffic and stay visible and assertive. This one is hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. It just speaks of a professionalism and politeness while riding, but they don't just toodle along in blind spots like so many cruiser guys have a tendency to do.
Good post #3 is the best, I drive a truck in the city 60 hrs a week. I ride the same way, I understand what you are saying .

Old 02-06-2014 | 12:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 711 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
We all know what makes a squid a squid, but I got to thinking of the things I see that tell me the guy has a good handle on his machine, or signs of an experianced rider. Here's a few to start off the list. Please add your own. 1. Smooth pull away. Lots of guys either blip, or rev their bike too much when pulling away from a stop. To me, the expert can make his bike smoothly pull away with both his clutch and his throttle perfectly in tune so it pulls away like an automatic car. I'm talking normal street riding not track days. 2. Perfect balance at slow speeds. Watch most guys take off. Untill they reach a speed of about 25mph a lot of guys wobble all over their lane. A good rider can pull away without any wobble. 3. Guys that ride mostly around the speedlimit, but exceed it just enough to keep moving very slightly faster than traffic and stay visible and assertive. This one is hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. It just speaks of a professionalism and politeness while riding, but they don't just toodle along in blind spots like so many cruiser guys have a tendency to do.
If you watch close you'll see me wobble a couple of times!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

Old 02-06-2014 | 04:19 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Almost 500 posts and not a single real experienced rider in the bunch. How do you tell a real one? Watch how he kisses his girl.................................. Buncha' damn rookies.

Old 02-06-2014 | 05:36 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=dickey;12284376]Here's some of the signs I think makes for a veteran rider:

Leather jacket bungeed to the handlebars.

Guy is riding a shovel or early Evo.

One knee on the seat when kickstarting (I always thought this was silly, I have always straddled my Harleys to kick them, like Bronson did)

"Ape walk" after getting off their bike, with lots of metal hanging from their belt (always thought this was silly, too)

Obvious self fabricated parts

This is the best, most honest thing on this thred!!!!! Ive rode with this guy,,when we stoped for lunch he removed his bandana from his head blew his nose and wore it on his head when we left. definitely a veteran rider.

Old 02-06-2014 | 05:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,043 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
Almost 500 posts and not a single real experienced rider in the bunch. How do you tell a real one? Watch how he kisses his girl.................................. Buncha' damn rookies.
Real Harley riders do that on their back tire

Old 02-07-2014 | 08:09 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This is an advanced rider...

except the part where he hits the cones, and also wipes out when he's looking at the girl....

Old 02-07-2014 | 10:06 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeus33
This is an advanced rider...

except the part where he hits the cones, and also wipes out when he's looking at the girl....

Drifting Motorbike - Drift Gymkhana - Jorian Ponomareff - YouTube
Homeboy has skills.

Old 02-08-2014 | 07:56 PM
sunderhill
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Healey2Harley
My wife knows that if I dont put both feet down, she's not to make any comfort adjustments at this stop!
Amen!!

Old 02-08-2014 | 08:01 PM
sunderhill
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Given time, you will be able to pull up, stop, and back into park position in a line of parked bikes, just like the rest of us.

Oh, and lastly, there is no need to let your passenger off until you are parked.

I let the wife off when I back in due to the fact that when the pegs are down they catch me in the calves. OUCH

Old 02-09-2014 | 06:53 PM
Chuckit69
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx2k
You can trust anyone here thats made it past "NEW GUY"
That hurts. Hahaha

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider