The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014 | 05:58 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A advanced rider will read a thred like this, sort out fact from fiction and move on. I firmly believe just because you have ridden for x-amount of years without incident makes you lucky, not advanced! There is a definite difference between advanced and experienced. I would say that 95%-99% of people on this forum are experienced. Being advanced In my opinion comes from closed course's, track time,professional instruction, class room, dedication,practice. A truly advanced rider could jump a supercross triple, ride a flat track harley 100 mph on a dirt circle, jump on a sportbike and cut laps around 150-170 mph. Those are examples of a highly skilled amateurs, professionals are REALLY talented. everybody else is varying in different levels of experience.DONT GET THE TWO CONFUSED!

so you duck walk,,,, who cares! one foot down or both,,, who cares. You stop where you need and dont fall over, what else do you need?

Old 02-03-2014 | 07:18 PM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canicta, You know your limitations based on what you wrote. This is good.

Now, the next step..., go out there and practice some maneuvers round and round is some abandoned parking lot.... figure 8's are good.

Next, go practice some more, this time on gravel potholes, like what you find in front of most road side restaurants.

Given time, you will be able to pull up, stop, and back into park position in a line of parked bikes, just like the rest of us.

Oh, and lastly, there is no need to let your passenger off until you are parked.

Old 02-03-2014 | 08:24 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xracer110
A advanced rider will read a thred like this, sort out fact from fiction and move on. I firmly believe just because you have ridden for x-amount of years without incident makes you lucky, not advanced! There is a definite difference between advanced and experienced. I would say that 95%-99% of people on this forum are experienced. Being advanced In my opinion comes from closed course's, track time,professional instruction, class room, dedication,practice. A truly advanced rider could jump a supercross triple, ride a flat track harley 100 mph on a dirt circle, jump on a sportbike and cut laps around 150-170 mph. Those are examples of a highly skilled amateurs, professionals are REALLY talented. everybody else is varying in different levels of experience.DONT GET THE TWO CONFUSED!

so you duck walk,,,, who cares! one foot down or both,,, who cares. You stop where you need and dont fall over, what else do you need?
Pfft... what else do you need? You need to be able to come on here and make posts about all the "inexperienced" people you see and how they are lesser riders than you because they did "X" at a stoplight.

Now, to be serious for a second, I actually agree with everything you said.

Old 02-04-2014 | 07:31 AM
canicta
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red Eye
Canicta, You know your limitations based on what you wrote. This is good.

Now, the next step..., go out there and practice some maneuvers round and round is some abandoned parking lot.... figure 8's are good.

Next, go practice some more, this time on gravel potholes, like what you find in front of most road side restaurants.

Given time, you will be able to pull up, stop, and back into park position in a line of parked bikes, just like the rest of us.

Oh, and lastly, there is no need to let your passenger off until you are parked.
I didn't say anything about being a newbie or inexperienced.Have been riding long enough to know my limits.
As far as the whole "experienced vs inexperienced" debate goes...Take the cycle out of the picture for a moment and compare us all to car drivers.Many here have driven for many years,that would make you experienced not that it make you a good driver.We have all seen an old lady (experienced driving for many years) driving at a breakneck speed of 25 in a 45MPH. Hope you get what I'm getting at with that.
As a heavy truck hauler for 30 years I am able to be defensive in my driving and carry that over to riding cycle.You put one foot down while I put two feet down so what ? If I want to drop off my passenger before I park,so what?

Old 02-04-2014 | 11:08 AM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canicta, apologies for offending you. That was not my intent.

Myself, I first rode Bonnevilles back in the late 60's, and rode a motorcycle of one brand or another since then.... too many to mention.

Three years ago, I picked up a HD Softail.

Talk about duck paddling, I was a sight to behold. Any off camber corner or pothole had my legs popping off the pegs.

The rake of the forks on a Softail makes riding off cambers interesting, not to mention the effect of the skinny front tire and bad *** back tire on potholes in parking lots.

I specifically went out many days and practiced and practiced.

I feel much more comfortable in the tricky stuff now, and my wife stays seated on the back quite contentedly.

You can put as many feet down as you like, I was trying to be helpful is all.

Old 02-04-2014 | 11:44 AM
canicta
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red Eye
Canicta, apologies for offending you. That was not my intent.

Myself, I first rode Bonnevilles back in the late 60's, and rode a motorcycle of one brand or another since then.... too many to mention.

Three years ago, I picked up a HD Softail.

Talk about duck paddling, I was a sight to behold. Any off camber corner or pothole had my legs popping off the pegs.

The rake of the forks on a Softail makes riding off cambers interesting, not to mention the effect of the skinny front tire and bad *** back tire on potholes in parking lots.

I specifically went out many days and practiced and practiced.

I feel much more comfortable in the tricky stuff now, and my wife stays seated on the back quite contentedly.

You can put as many feet down as you like, I was trying to be helpful is all.
No offense taken. Thanks for the info. Plenty of potholes here to deal with too. For me because I am not that large of a person maneuvering is a bit of an issue. Living in the snow belt there is plenty of sand to deal with also. On the road have to take it easy on the curves until a few good rainstorms to wash it away. When approaching stop signs or a light am always keeping an eye on what's beneath me.Sand,oil drips,uneven ruts,and of course potholes.LoL Have you ever put your foot down at a stop sign and it don't touch due to a rut or a hole? Once is all it takes.Ask me how I know.Then in parking lots the sand is there too from tracking it in off the roads.That makes the slow maneuvering real tricky. Parked the cycle in front of a bar.Put the kickstand down and proceeded to get off the bike.Turns out the kickstand popped back up.Cycle went down to the engine guard and I managed to catch it and get it back upright.That happened only once also because we learn from our own mistakes.More learning and riding as we go.

Old 02-04-2014 | 11:50 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

^ now you can ride off into the sunset together.

Old 02-04-2014 | 04:03 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,647 Likes on 6,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
^ now you can ride off into the sunset together.
If they do they'll be headed your way...

Old 02-04-2014 | 11:06 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Left foot only down at a stop, not giving up the rear brake.

No see sawing of the front wheel as they come to a stop or ride slowly.

When stopped, bike is in left wheel track, right foot on peg or board. Bike is not cockeyed in the lane because they stopped where the bike stopped; they MADE the bike stop exactly where they wanted.

They don't put a foot down in oil, water, coolant or other unstable footing.

Head checks AND signals when changing lanes.

Tires are worn nearly to the edges instead of "Chicken Strips" of brand new tire except in the very middle.

Protective gear, helmet, jacket, gloves & boots that don't just slip on. If they slipped on, they can slip off. Another sign is gear that's worn and sun faded. They do NOT look like they just came from the set of a pirate movie.

Can make full lock U turns and standing start U turns to the left and right. Head and eyes are twisted to see where they want to go, not where they are now.

They negotiate curves outside, inside, outside. Meaning right hand curve entry close to the yellow line, left hand curve entry close to the white line. Reduces angle, increases visibility.

Ground speed in curves is fast but the rider doesn't look dramatic doing it, almost looking slow and deliberate. Never crosses the centerline from running wide.

They are never surprised when they meet another vehicle in a curve coming the other way (in their own lane) and consequently don't jerk the controls or brake for no reason.

Brake before a turn and throttle out. Sometimes they don't even brake for a turn at all because they judged corner speed so accurately that they only needed engine braking.

I could go on and on. The signs are there if you know what to look for. Anybody can buy a guitar and play Smoke On The Water; few can really play, and a small minority can make it cry, moan and sing.
Yup..That^ I do like they say, "Be one with the bike." Never laid a street bike down and have been riding since I was 12....now I'm 64, going on 65.

Old 02-05-2014 | 03:12 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,686 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Here's some of the signs I think makes for a veteran rider:

Leather jacket bungeed to the handlebars.

Guy is riding a shovel or early Evo.

One knee on the seat when kickstarting (I always thought this was silly, I have always straddled my Harleys to kick them, like Bronson did)

"Ape walk" after getting off their bike, with lots of metal hanging from their belt (always thought this was silly, too)

Obvious self fabricated parts

Bullethole stickers on the sheet metal

No "Live to Ride" or "Willie G" skulls

Bike is leaking. And NOT coolant!

Last edited by dickey; 02-05-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider