The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013 | 11:32 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
My personal pet peeve is the douchebag rolling down the road blippin throttle and looking in the window of every car he goes by.
How else is he gonna pick out a female citizen to take for a ride?....

Old 09-11-2013 | 05:02 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDRod
This is a technique common to motocross trained riders -- whom I believe make some of the best street motorcyclist. Right hand -- index and ring finger on brake lever and throttle controlled by rolling the hand.

A technique I use to reduce my speed on a curve is something called "Brake Trailing." You might read up on it and study it. It is the only way and saftest way to reduce your speed on a curve when you have gone into it too hot (or you are taking curves at higher speeds then they were designed for). It requires some study and some practice to get it. Basically you begin applying some front brake just before going into the curve and this causes weight to shift onto the front wheel and you front forks to compress slightly. You have more weight on the turning wheel where you need it most to stablize you around the turn. As you reach the apex of the turn you gradually release the front brake completely. Then accelerate out of the apex. [NOTE: Never touch your rear brakes on a curve or begin to apply front brakes once you are in the turn.] This is how racers take those hard fast curves. Another thing you can practice and do on a Vrod is "Lean Offs" and this can also help you to stablize on a curve you are taking fast. All you do here is shift your weight to the inside of the curve to counter centrifigual forces... you can lean off quite a bit even with the feet forward position. Keep yoour shoulders paralle to the handlebars. A combination of the above two advance techniques and you would be surprised how fast you can take a curve.

I use a 1/4 turn full throttle with the initial cam cut down to soften the curve so that the throttle is very controllable and comes on initially nice and even. No inadvertent jumps on a very sensitive 1/4 throttle grip.
Dont forget to weight the outside peg, in high speed maneuvers [like 140mph plus] going through the turns it helps keep the suspension planted and more predictable if you press down with your legs muscles on the high side of bike. Using this with the front brake techniques your able to hold and maintain your line in sharp corners without scrubbing speed. My racing days are behind me and I may never use extreme techniques like this on the road riding my glide. But some day It could save my life!!! coming into a left hand blind corner and meeting a truck 1/2 way in your lane would make a perfect time to execute this type of maneuver. I would recommend to anyone that has decent to above average riding skills, do a search and find a local road race track, make a few calls and set up some open track time. most local tracks will give you advanced lessons in class room settings followed with instructed track time for a few hundred bucks. Besides the lessons, ITS a blast!!!!

Old 09-11-2013 | 05:21 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The ability to stop on a steep incline., lock the handlebars to either side, and make a full lock u-turn with both feet up. To be able to do tight full lock figure 8s on a steep incline.

Old 09-11-2013 | 09:15 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting thread to say the least.. not that what I'm sayin' here matters at all.. and not that anyone cares.. but my take is this.. I've been on bike since 11 or 12 years old, I've raced motocross, I held a WERA license for a while. I've taken all the "old" MSF classes, I've done the Ride Like a Pro class, and I even got a few private lessons from a retired motor officer. And I downloaded "Motor Lesson's".. Until my accident this past march ( non motorcycle ) I practiced a couple times a month even if it was go down to the lot and "marry up" to the bike for 10 or 20 minutes before heading out.. as far as what sign's give away an advanced rider, hey I have my list.. it might not be exactly the same as yours but that's ok. For me personally, I mount and dismount on the right side, I put one foot down instead of two, I try to never put the "dirty" foot down, if the bike moving, my feet are up on the boards, I work on and practice throttle control, friction zone, braking, head and eyes, I know how to trail brake, I have grind marks on my boards and on the foot pegs on my XR1200 etc etc..

But in the end, it's just how I choose to ride. I enjoy a good conversation about riding and technique as much as anyone.. but when it comes to judging or telling someone on here your wrong.. hey I'm not going there..What anyone else does is up to them. I consider myself a good rider, but am I an expert.. I wouldn't say that. Am I in the top whatever percent of riders here? I'm sure I'm not.. I like to practice and develop my ability on the bike, and I love to just be out in the wind..

The other thing is this.. we are all human, so I do disagree with a few people who said stuff like a good rider never get's hit or gets into trouble or makes a mistake.. that is bullshit.. your OODA loop doesn't run 24/7, we all go condition white now and then.. An example would be an accident I saw first hand.. a group riding in MSF staggered formation, 5 or so miles below the speed limit, they have the green light.. there is a car stopped at the light.. as the first bike enters the intersection, the cage, who's driver is knee deep in his cell phone texting.. pulls out directly in front of the lead bike.. again, he was already stopped.. the whole group saw the car stopped at a red light.. again, as the lead bike got there, he just.. pulled out.. no chance for the lead bike and pretty much no chance for the second bike... That **** happens.. the first bike had no chance.. and he didn't make any errors in judgment or technique.. The point is we all mess up now and then.. not often but real life is real life.. so I don't judge I ride how I wanna ride and I'm fine with you doing the same.. and sorry for such a long post..

cheers
mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 09-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2013 | 11:21 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? You're going to judge riding skills by how a person stops or takes off? You never feel goofy coming up to a red light and stick your feet out like you're a DC-10 trying to stick the landing? You never stick your feet out, lean back a bit with your arms all stretched out the last couple of seconds before coming to a complete stop, kind of like you're trying to stop a raging bull? Uh oh, that guy likes to rev the throttle a couple of times when stopping, I ain't riding with that poser. Someone said that you only put your left foot down when you stop, keeping right foot on the brake. Talk about being a little stiff!

Old 09-12-2013 | 04:24 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
Your brakes are not always the first option in an emergency situation. that's why it's not advisable to cover them.
I forgot about that, but yes more often than not I've found the throttle better than the brake. Of course that goes along with always having an eye on options.
For me, that's separate from the subject of covering the brakes, which I do, though I don't do anything 100% of the time. It depends on the circumstances.

Old 01-30-2014 | 10:54 AM
robertchunt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eeperienced riders

i agree with you guys except when i screw up. live to ride, 43 years

Old 01-30-2014 | 11:02 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
My personal pet peeve is the douchebag rolling down the road blippin throttle and looking in the window of every car he goes by.
HEY, I am looking in the window to see if they are texting. Just part of situational awareness. Maybe if all the bikes that pass you are blippin' and looking, you are drifting into their lane.

Old 01-30-2014 | 11:12 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,112 Likes on 8,685 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I ride with four other guys on road trips. I have just never mastered the curves in the mountains. I slow down and ride to my skill level. Two of the guys are very skilled. When cutting through the curves they hold their lane and speed. They attack the road with what I call smooth grace. I am up and down on speed and have to work on my line through the curves. Just don't have the natural skill that they have.
So you`ve incorporated Clint Eastwoods` most important rule: "A man`s GOT to know his limitations".

Originally Posted by GrumpyBear
Ding Ding Ding. You sir are a smart man.

You know guys I am pretty laid back in my older years and you don't see many angry posts from me. However every time some guy posts about making curves edge to edge I remember a fallen Brother and shake my head. Edge to edge is great on paper and a track but it is a sin that can lead to death on the road.

Chicken strips? Give me a frekin brake. If you are so intent on figuring out who has a longer ***** get together and slow race. The slow race is the great equalizer.
Or become the pivot man in a circle jerk.....

Originally Posted by upflying
This is one indication of an advanced rider. (Yep, it's me)
Yeah, I saw your video; you`re awesome!

Originally Posted by Falcon195
WHAT your wife's weight is 700+ pounds
"She`s got a pair of legs just like two whiskey kegs"......

Originally Posted by fat_tony
70-100 % of the braking on a motorcycle is done with the front brake. It's because most of the weight of the bike and rider transfers to the front wheel under hard braking and the rear wheel is unloaded. That's why bikes have a large brake rotor or usually 2 on the front wheel and a tiny one on the rear. The rear brake is just for dragging in slow speed maneuvers and to balance the bike under hard braking. With only a rear brake I would be concerned you could stop quickly enough. Try stopping your car with just the hand brake - it only operates the rear brakes. If you topple over the front with application of the front brake, your not doing it right.
`Guess I`ve been doing it wrong for over 40 years then. Most of my braking comes from the engine, and I don`t use any brake until I`m down shifted into at least 2nd gear, and then it`s the rear brake. I put my finger near the front brake only when I`m about embark upon a possible situation where a hard stop may be necessary. Yeah, I`m wrong some of you will say, but my awareness level is always piqued when necessary and extra caution warrants the front brake/one finger position.

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
WRONG. There is a simple technique to use in picking up a 800+ Lb. touring bike by yourself-no back injury or dislocated joints. What happens when you drop the bike out somewhere all by yourself?
I`d like to know what that is after 40 plus years of riding and being an old fart. I`m not very strong anymore.

Originally Posted by IronAss
That has got to be one of the most asinine statements ever quoted in my opinion. I would love to see the stats that back it up.

The same could be said regarding driving a car or falling in the shower and would be just accurate.

Nothing more than fear mongering and trying to make others feel they are dependent on the one saying it for an education to insure their safety.
`Guess I`ve just been dumb lucky after 40 plus years of riding and never laid it down or got hurt from a motorcycle.....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-30-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2014 | 01:23 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tinmarine
The theory behind it, is that you are at the ready. Foot on the rear brake, always in gear and hand on the throttle and if someone/thing is coming up behind you, you can react quicker and avoid injury. Try having both feet on the ground, in neutral and hand on the front brake and see how long it takes to move and try it the other way. Seconds matter, and those few seconds could save your life. If you take off while achieving torque, you can put your foot up immediately and not have to worry about being out of balance. Generally speaking, you are only suppose to use rear brake for slow speed maneuvering.

"Generally speaking, you are only suppose to use rear brake for slow speed maneuvering".

Now that is a most untrue statement to make. Front is most of your stopping power but don't suggest to anyone that "Generally speaking, you are only suppose to use rear brake for slow speed maneuvering." Some new guy may believe you and not stop fast enough.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider