The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:22 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
this theory of a person who duck walks at times is bs. im sorry but if your on a moped (sportster) yea maybe. try pulling up to a gas pump every single time with out put your feet out on a bagger. I have seen old timers doing this I cant count how many times. ill admit it I have done it. I do it every single time I pull into my garage too. I feel its a safety thing when your are just creeping along in tight areas. I can also stop at a stop sign without putting my feet down at all for a short time. does either one make me a good or bad rider I don't think so. I also do not think this is an automatic sign someone is not a good or experience rider. and I am not the motorman paladino. and someone making a comments about this specific item who does not ride a bagger and is not the same height as some people really shouldn't judge not all bikes are the same. not all people ride bikes made for women. infact I really think people who ride mopeds(sportster) really have no idea when it comes to this item since there really on an entry level bike and about what 400 lbs lighter.
I can do all the things I listed on my Road King with a passenger aboard. A good rider can make ANY motorcycle do exactly what they want. The only limitation (in slow speed maneuvers) is wheel base and steering lock.

There are people on this forum that have ridden with me. I'm not trying to one up you, I'm just saying that you can ride a large motorcycle and make it do exactly what you want if you learn how to do it. Balance is compromised when you take your feet off the pegs or boards. Look up a guy in here called Moto Lessons. He'll put you on the path to master your machine. And as far as practicing; the time to practice is every time you ride the bike. Look for ways to make things harder at the gas station. Bored with a straight flat 2 lane road? Make sure the coast is clear and practice no stop 2 lane u turns.

Some people learn to master the machine and some people let the machine master them.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 08-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2013 | 06:25 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
I know I'm a new guy and will probably get blasted for responding, but whatever. I think this list describes about 0.01% of riders. And of those that practice all of these things I bet less than half do these things ALL the time. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I get in streaks where my balance is off for some reason and I wobble to stops or stop crooked. Other streaks of great stops, perfectly balanced and right where I intended.

One thing I keep reading and think is complete BS is stopping with only 1 foot on the ground. Not 'giving up the back brake'? Not buying it, and I think it's asking for trouble to give up the balance achieved with 2 feet. The front brake isn't enough when stopped?!?! Right. A good gust of wind from the left and over you go....but not giving up the back brake!

Anyway....my $0.02. Fire away.
No blasting but I will tell you that there are plenty of us out there that have many years (40+yrs in my case) riding experience so the list is on for us. It would take some heavy winds to blow one over if you are paying attention. Here in costal Texas we see 30 mph winds often, I've never been blown over with only one foot on the ground. If a rider is stupid enough to let themself get blown over at a stop, they get what they deserve. Oh and I know we are talking about Harleys but some folks and some bikes cannot be flat footed. There is a stop I have to do everyday going to work, its on a decline and I have to go straight into a 45 degree turn, no way to flat foot it. Its an experience thing to know what the bike and yourself are capable of doing.

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:27 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I suppose it's good to have a list to judge others, if that's your thing.

I think that I don't want to even see MYSELF as an advanced rider. I always want to be getting better while riding. Plus, I may be a bit superstitious

I'm always practicing when I ride.

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:29 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by gar187er
you guys saying chicken strips is a sign of an inexperienced rider.....ummmm depending on where you live.

Some states dont have canyon roads, or alot of winding back roads.
I wore the tires on my Road King very nearly to the edges in a parking lot. Leaving part of the tire new like that will cause it to slip easier when you encounter wet pavement or some other slippery substance. First thing I do when I mount new tires is go gradually wear all the mold release compound off by doing slow speed work. That way, when I do hit the curves, I have all the grip available to me.

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:34 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Sorry, nomadmax. I hadn't read your post when I started mine, but you covered the 'practice' concept very well.

I don't practice driving anymore (racing on tracks takes the sport out of street-driving), but I've been riding on the street as long as I've been driving and I think I'll always be practicing riding. After all, cars balance themselves well enough to keep themselves upright.

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:41 PM
oneballz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newbie tell tale sign is.... turning and not leaning the bike into turns

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:49 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oneballz
newbie tell tale sign is.... turning and not leaning the bike into turns
You mean countersteering into a turn...right?

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:52 PM
tinmarine
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
I know I'm a new guy and will probably get blasted for responding, but whatever. I think this list describes about 0.01% of riders. And of those that practice all of these things I bet less than half do these things ALL the time. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I get in streaks where my balance is off for some reason and I wobble to stops or stop crooked. Other streaks of great stops, perfectly balanced and right where I intended.

One thing I keep reading and think is complete BS is stopping with only 1 foot on the ground. Not 'giving up the back brake'? Not buying it, and I think it's asking for trouble to give up the balance achieved with 2 feet. The front brake isn't enough when stopped?!?! Right. A good gust of wind from the left and over you go....but not giving up the back brake!

Anyway....my $0.02. Fire away.
The theory behind it, is that you are at the ready. Foot on the rear brake, always in gear and hand on the throttle and if someone/thing is coming up behind you, you can react quicker and avoid injury. Try having both feet on the ground, in neutral and hand on the front brake and see how long it takes to move and try it the other way. Seconds matter, and those few seconds could save your life. If you take off while achieving torque, you can put your foot up immediately and not have to worry about being out of balance. Generally speaking, you are only suppose to use rear brake for slow speed maneuvering.

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:55 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Is pulling into gas stations really that big of a deal for some guys? I never give it a thought. One other thing, it was mentioned that you should always use both brakes for stopping. I agree with this but hovering over the front brake, gives you a split second faster response time over lifting your foot off a floorboard and applying smooth even pressure. Just my 2 devalued cents.,,

Old 08-12-2013 | 06:56 PM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbc1200
I watch how other riders approach stops... stop lights/signs, gas pumps, parking spaces, etc. If they kick their legs out like landing gear while still moving and grabbing the front brake it tells me everything I need to know. The "duck walk" is the most telltale sign of an inexperienced rider.

A funny observation. I go to a gym nightly that is in a stripmall next to a pizza/beer joint that does "bike night" every week. I would say that 9/10 of the riders that pull into the parking lot do the wobbly duck paddle when slowing down. Most have to unload their women before waddling over to a parking spot.
I take that one step farther. If a rider comes to a complete stop without touching the ground and then works the clutch and throttle into a perfect departure before the inertia stops holding him up that is the sign.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider