The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013 | 05:24 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow, this is fast becoming a bitchfest....lol.

Talking from experience, riding in the dirt is different from riding on the road. But hey, those boys in Sturgis wayyy back rode those Harleys up them hills, and it sure looked like many of them were in street form. Not so sure I could do that, but I can ride a helluva mean dirt bike if given the chance. Sold my 360 Yamaha MX years back.

I guess this controversy, as it has grown to, is really pretty simple to figure. If a guy is good enough to ride without getting killed in this day and age, he or she must be doing something right. If that's the case, and they're still having a gas riding, so be it.....lets just ride. And be safe, all of ya.

Old 08-25-2013 | 05:28 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterpfg
You obviously are young. Ive broken bones and ripped unmentionables. I have a half of my calf muscle gone from racing junior semis back in the day. My other leg and foot are held together by pins ill ne on meds the rest of my life. I dont need to explain how to ride a dirt bike it all comes naturally but when u get older you get alittle more cautious
Im not that young [thats why im xracer] im also in my mid 40s, done almost every aspect of riding at expert or higher rating from amateur roadracing, pro mx, did flat track a few times when a buddy got hurt, Ive been hurt hundreds of times before and will get hurt again. if motorcycles were easy everyone would ride them! although my competitive days are behind me I still use the skills i honed when I ride today. But after doing the different styles of riding the techniques will and do relate to each other. And Im not a fan of SOME of the training classes, but it is better than nothing and I do understand not everyone starts on a motorcycle before a bicycle but there are some of us out here. I do get tired of these text book answers from todays riders, I firmly believe that taking a course or watching safety dvds wont you make you better unless you PRACTICE untill it becomes instinct! If you want to improve your balance and braking I strongly recommend renting or borrow a trail bike and go trail riding [even slow offroad riding] uneven ground, differnt landscapes like ruts,mud,trees, rocks, creeks etc. everything is exaggerated like brake control, throttle,etc. This also teaches you how to anticipate trouble and makes you more aware. And to the guy who wants me to ride my harley like a dirtbike, I dont need too. Its already been done [remember evel kneival]

Old 08-25-2013 | 09:07 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I never said dirt and road was the same.....it's very different.

Let me put it this way, if both bikes are on pavement, both bikes will respond the same way to user input. The smaller bike will respond easier and faster, but both will do the same thing.

Old 08-25-2013 | 09:25 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 12,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
I never said dirt and road was the same.....it's very different.

Let me put it this way, if both bikes are on pavement, both bikes will respond the same way to user input. The smaller bike will respond easier and faster, but both will do the same thing.
I agree - provisionally. Weight, HP, weight bias, HP/gross weight, brakes, rider weight/bike weight, all affect how the bike will react to rider input, i.e. different bikes react differently to a given input.

Example, drifting a Supermoto around a paved corner vs the same corner with a touring bike. At low speeds same input. Higher speeds, not so much. Back to the steering with throttle thing. Granted, 99.9 don't use that input on pavement. Splitting hairs on a Sunday night.

Old 08-25-2013 | 11:09 PM
HDwildcat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My autorotation skills have greatly improved ! . . . oh yeah , and my colesteral is down

Old 08-26-2013 | 01:45 AM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HDwildcat
My autorotation skills have greatly improved ! . . . oh yeah , and my colesteral is down

Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission......

Old 08-26-2013 | 02:34 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sauceman
LOL,

But on a more serious note, the mechanics of riding a motorcycle has a lot to do with muscle memory. By that I mean when taking off from a light, taking corners, stopping ect most of the mechanics of operating the motorcycle I don't think through, they just happen.

Now if one was to always be putting the left foot down and it just became as described above, what would happen if the road on the left side of the bike was not suitable? Be it gravel, oil, dead kitten, whatever, and you had to adjust your technique such as putting your right foot down? My god the implications are staggering! I'm talking cats and dogs living together, water mixing with oil, complete chaos! Are you guys ready for such a burden on your conscious?

cheers

I'm not

Old 08-26-2013 | 02:51 AM
AlwaysHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
We all know what makes a squid a squid, but I got to thinking of the things I see that tell me the guy has a good handle on his machine, or signs of an experianced rider.

Here's a few to start off the list. Please add your own.

1. Smooth pull away. Lots of guys either blip, or rev their bike too much when pulling away from a stop. To me, the expert can make his bike smoothly pull away with both his clutch and his throttle perfectly in tune so it pulls away like an automatic car. I'm talking normal street riding not track days.

2. Perfect balance at slow speeds. Watch most guys take off. Untill they reach a speed of about 25mph a lot of guys wobble all over their lane. A good rider can pull away without any wobble.

3. Guys that ride mostly around the speedlimit, but exceed it just enough to keep moving very slightly faster than traffic and stay visible and assertive. This one is hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. It just speaks of a professionalism and politeness while riding, but they don't just toodle along in blind spots like so many cruiser guys have a tendency to do.

I see 1 and 2 more as an indication of someone who's just very used to that particular bike.

Experienced rider to me is always relaxed and at ease with his/her machine.

Old 08-26-2013 | 09:49 AM
mikek87
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
this theory of a person who duck walks at times is bs. im sorry but if your on a moped (sportster) yea maybe. try pulling up to a gas pump every single time with out put your feet out on a bagger. I have seen old timers doing this I cant count how many times. ill admit it I have done it. I do it every single time I pull into my garage too. I feel its a safety thing when your are just creeping along in tight areas. I can also stop at a stop sign without putting my feet down at all for a short time. does either one make me a good or bad rider I don't think so. I also do not think this is an automatic sign someone is not a good or experience rider. and I am not the motorman paladino. and someone making a comments about this specific item who does not ride a bagger and is not the same height as some people really shouldn't judge not all bikes are the same. not all people ride bikes made for women. infact I really think people who ride mopeds(sportster) really have no idea when it comes to this item since there really on an entry level bike and about what 400 lbs lighter.
We can tell who has never owned a sporty.

Old 08-26-2013 | 10:11 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterpfg
Lemme let u n a a secret u gonna wreck someday

that's an asshat comment......

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider