The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:48 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterpfg
You obviously are young. Ive broken bones and ripped unmentionables. I have a half of my calf muscle gone from racing junior semis back in the day. My other leg and foot are held together by pins ill ne on meds the rest of my life. I dont need to explain how to ride a dirt bike it all comes naturally but when u get older you get alittle more cautious
With that damage record, maybe you should just stop riding. You seemed to have F'd yourself up good already.

I have flown high performance jets for the USAF for 8 years, fought in Desert Shield/Storm. I started riding back in 1982, starting using a bike as my main transportation in 1996, still do to this day. I ride 365, unless there is snow or ice on the ground or in the forecast. I'm still here with no broken bones or major damage to my body. I think I'm doing something right.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:49 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt brag about never getting hurt.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:50 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Physically come back. Acting like you know what ur doin and ur a pro is a bad omen trust me

I really think you missed his point. To summarize, riding a dirt bike flat out on the track requires a completely different skill set with much more practiced maneuvers than what you will need going to get groceries on a 1000 pound poor handling comparatively motorcycle. He wasn't saying you could ride your HD LIKE a motocross bike because that cant be done but he was saying the skills you learn can transfer easily to the street whereas the opposite is not quite the case.

At least that's my interpretation.

Originally Posted by Markk9
........I ride 365, unless there is snow or ice on the ground or in the forecast. I'm still here with no broken bones or major damage to my body. I think I'm doing something right.
And this is flat out tempting fate with extreme arrogance. Just remember you are one soccer mom away from changing your whole perspective.

Last edited by Juan L; 08-25-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2013 | 04:51 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced

With that damage record, maybe you should just stop riding. You seemed to have F'd yourself up good already.

I have flown high performance jets for the USAF for 8 years, fought in Desert Shield/Storm. I started riding back in 1982, starting using a bike as my main transportation in 1996, still do to this day. I ride 365, unless there is snow or ice on the ground or in the forecast. I'm still here with no broken bones or major damage to my body. I think I'm doing something right.
Lemme let u n a a secret u gonna wreck someday

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:52 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior

I wouldnt brag about never getting hurt.
Not bragging, and never said I haven't been hurt. I've been down twice, but thanks to wearing the proper gear, I have avoided major damage to myself.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:53 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chicks dig apprehensiveness...

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:55 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rwhisen
I really think you missed his point. To summarize, riding a dirt bike flat out on the track requires a completely different skill set with much more practiced maneuvers than what you will need going to get groceries on a 1000 pound poor handling comparatively motorcycle. He wasn't saying you could ride your HD LIKE a motocross bike because that cant be done but he was saying the skills you learn can transfer easily to the street whereas the opposite is not quite the case.

At least that's my interpretation.
The same control inputs you give a dirt bike, will do the same thing on any bike, touring, sport, or ADV.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:55 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 12,219 Posts

Please tell what inputs you apply to a dirt bike that will not work a touring bike?
How about steering with the throttle?

Before this becomes a pissing match, we would, no doubt, have much to agree on this topic in a face to face discussion. Semantics becomes a slippery slope when dealing with the written word, especially when entering a dick swinging contest - i.e. any discussion of skills on the internet. We all have "x" amount of experience with "x" being variable. My "x" tells me that I do things on my dirt bikes much differently than I do on my street bikes.

Sure - there are many common inputs. Maybe you would argue that they are all the same, but to varying degrees. I get it. But, when I enter a gravel turn on my KTM, braking hard but using the rear brake to break the tire loose (with, gasp, counter steering), then hard throttle to point me in a different direction I'm not thinking that's an input I can apply that to my bagger when riding two up on the Dragon (especially since I have ABS). Maybe if my bike had 250 HP (and no ABS) and I had a death wish. Short of that, I carve the turn - steering with the bars.

Hell, even the differences between a bagger two up and a UJM has differences in such simple things as which brake to use. One of the biggest adjustments I had to make was to get off the front brake when coming to a stop on my Ultra two up.

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:57 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced

N e ways im out have fun being a pro dirt rider an advanced harley rider and a ace pilot.

Old 08-25-2013 | 05:06 PM
Juan L
Received 20,118 Likes on 10,260 Posts

The same control inputs you give a dirt bike, will do the same thing on any bike, touring, sport, or ADV.
Having ridden for 40+ years, the first 10 on motocross I can tell you that without a doubt that the control inputs, although the same in theory, will give you completely different reactions from dirt to street. Shifting weight on the smaller machines is much more critical to keep the bike under control. Not so much on a 1000 pound behemoth that will grind it's floorboards long before losing traction. Braking is entirely different on dirt compared to street as dirt is more of a controlled slide to keep speed. Power delivery on the old motocross two strokes was like flipping a light switch, not so with street bikes unless you've found yourself an old RD350.

N e ways im out have fun being a pro dirt rider an advanced harley rider and a ace pilot.
LOL

Last edited by Juan L; 08-25-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider