The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013 | 04:34 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my front brakes on very good clean looking roads with back brake also barely applied. But the fact of the matter is u realy shouldnt be tailgatein or having to do quick manuvers unless u have to on a harley.

Old 08-24-2013 | 06:41 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Oh and I forgot the most important one. You have take these off..
Crap! I like mine, they make wheelies more fun.

Old 08-24-2013 | 07:09 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Misterpfg
We are talkin about riding a cr 250 we was talking harleys a got one of them too.
H-D's handle rider inputs the exact same way as a CR250. You do understand this, right?

You do understand that if you move your *** and lean into a curve you turn tighter?

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:39 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Then theirs the feet dragers.. see one last week that had his feet down on the road all the way through a turn.. Said to meself,, NOT good....

Old 08-25-2013 | 04:47 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
lots of different ways to skin a cat...riding for around 40 years. some things are indicative of the MSF style of riding, nothing wrong with that, but some people learned before MSF or learned on the track and will utilize different skills.
I am usually a one foot guy at a light, but see nothing at all wrong with putting both down if the situation is suitable. I can pull away raising two feet as quickly as someone does with one foot. Usually always in gear though, ready to bolt, even if there is someone stopped behind me.

Took the MSF experienced rider course a few years ago and they tell you NOT to cover the front brake during most manuevers. There are times when you might feel you need to, that's cool if it works for you.

I am a feet up immediately guy, seldom have a foot down unless I feel like I need to "dab", a holdover from dirtbike days.

I can do the stop without foot down, neat trick and shows prowess and mastery of the machine but it is more of a gimmick in most cases, unless you need to go through a stop sign a millisecond quicker.

My lane postion at a stop is entirely dependant on the road condition and situation. Left lane is not always the answer.

Turns are situation dependant also, SEE technique works well in evaluating what you are going to need to do. The techniques I used when I road raced in my twenties do not always apply on the street. Smoothness is a sign you got it right, though.

Techniques you learn riding by yourself are not the same as riding packed tigh andfast in a group.

Braking is a two wheeld affair, but the front brake is the primary stopper on modern, unmodified bikes. Learn when to use the back brake. Front brake can be used to change position in a curve or lane if needed AND YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT. Find your limits on your brakes and practice them.

The main thing is, after 4 decades is to never forget to learn or relearn something every time you go out, and practice it in your day to day riding. The bar of proficiency is a moving target that you will never reach.....
Wise words I think most will agree with.

Old 08-25-2013 | 08:41 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

If you want to see experienced vs non-experienced just watch some folks in a traffic jam going up a bridge.

Old 08-25-2013 | 02:49 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Markk9
H-D's handle rider inputs the exact same way as a CR250. You do understand this, right?

You do understand that if you move your *** and lean into a curve you turn tighter?
I do understand wreckin in the dirt doin 40 vs on the highway doin 65. I also understand knobies offroad vs street tires that hit a patch of gravel. Its the unknown that gets you and u need to think of what could happen not what happens 99% of the time.

Old 08-25-2013 | 03:06 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 12,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
There are "qualifications" to everything we do it life. We as a species are very competitive, and judge each other on just about everything.
...........from our own perspective, which is often flawed. Kinda like comparing the handling dynamics of a 275 lb dirtbike vs those of a 1000 lb streetbike.

Mark of an experienced rider? Hospital bills?

Old 08-25-2013 | 03:10 PM
Misterpfg
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevada72
...........from our own perspective, which is often flawed. Kinda like comparing the handling dynamics of a 275 lb dirtbike vs those of a 1000 lb streetbike.

Mark of an experienced rider? Hospital bills?
Couldnt have put the words better myself.

Old 08-25-2013 | 03:41 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dirt bikes are HARDER to ride!!! coming out a 1 foot deep rut braking and clutching while keep throttle wide open on a 180* turn downshifting while entering and upshifting before fully exiting the turn, more often than not performed with one leg stretched out in the midst of a wheelie, then try and pick out the next rut on the jump 20feet out of the corner, after take off, pull clutch in,tap rear brake to stop back wheel, downshift so your in the right rpm range when landing, and before you land you need to spot the rut your gonna land in, if its not availible you need to make more in flight maneuvers like pitching the bike sideways or landing nose up to bounce over a downed bike, etc. and after landing your repeating the same process for the next turn! Add 39 other guys trying to take your lines. Give me a break!!!! Stop with one foot down or two, duck walks, get a clue. Anyone that has done any offroad, muddy or snowy conditions, did jumping or in general stunt riding on sportbikes are and is better than guys taking a three day course!!!! Experience is the best and only teacher. Years ago on my sporty i met a car in my lane on a 45 mile per hour corner, im on the high side leaning left, forced off the road and into the gravel, i tap rear brake, set bike into slide and throttled around turn flat track style.
They dont teach that in class!!!! get experience and react. Bike are bikes its all the same.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider