The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013 | 05:41 AM
Ken Fortunato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mere fact that anyone is even thinkin' about this scheeit, speaks volumes... I'm jus' sayin'...

Old 08-23-2013 | 06:19 AM
grasmo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride the way I ride so that I am "noticed". I make note of dangerous intersections and use caution.I never ,ever trust the cars that are on the shoulder of the road,especially the right side even if it is a cop with a car stopped. Don't ride angry and do not allow yourself to caught in the middle of chasing someone down to "express" yourself.I may weave a little bit from a dead start, My skills are upper level....motocross /enduro for 30+ years.I may do the duck walk if I feel like it..... I ride my scooter the way I want to ....not to make others happy with my style. I blip my throttle when slowing/braking at intersections to wake up the driver behind me....if they are texting and they just may hear me and look up to see what made the noise. If it's loud,stinks or smokes......I got one.

Old 08-23-2013 | 07:39 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys crack me up sometimes.

I only started riding 4 years ago but took to it like a duck to water. I have about 40k under my belt on two Harley's in that time the red mistress my 08 sportie 883 c that I put 27k on and the vixen my 11 deluxe that currently has about 14 k on it

I rarely ride in groups and if I am not riding alone I am riding with my husband who I married about a year into starting to ride. We know each other riding style and can mostly predict each others next move when out on a ride.

We do a lot of long distance trips that are multi day and multi state.

I still ride alone a fair amount. Honestly the people who I ever wonder about are the guys that hang out at biker bars that often when I am alone start telling me how to ride like since I am a girl alone I must need help. They are often the guys who mainly ride from home to bar. And frankly those are the people I worry about. They are also the ones that make ongoing cracks to me about riding with gear including telling me harley riders don't wear full faces. I don't care what you wear when you ride and only ask the same.

When we rode across the country to sturgis from MD I would get these guys mainly who trailered from the state over picking on my then sportie. My hubby got a hug kick out telling them I had ridden there from MD on my little sportie.

Ride your ride at your skill. Worry about your self and be aware of your surroundings. And figure out how and were you like to ride.

One thing I have found from when I was starting out is that the guys with the most miles and the biggest love for riding were open and inviting to new or newer riders. Mainly because they love to ride and loved when anyone was starting to share their passion in life.

Those are the riders I always want to be around.

PS I can only hope I can ride as long as iron *** and see as many things as you have.

Old 08-23-2013 | 08:06 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

This thread made me sit down and figure how many miles I've ridden over the years. Somewhere north of half a million road miles. Whew, makes me feel old....lol....guess I am.

4 yrs or so back my wife decided she wanted her own bike. After all those years riding passenger on my bikes watching me, I decided if she was going to ride she would be licensed and would take one of those motorcycle training courses. Didn't want her copying any of my habits formed over the years. After passing the course she said most of what she saw me doing fit right into what they taught. Since I never took one of those courses, due to them not having them around where I lived back then, this made me feel pretty good about my riding skills. Hell, most of the things you guys have brought up are things many of us 'more experienced' riders do without even thinking about. It just becomes a natural part of the riding experience.

My wife has become a very good rider even without the time or miles under her belt like others might have. To me, one of the best signs or a qualified rider is how they do in the rain. She has passed that test with flying colors. Absolutely.

Not sure how others would rate my riding and don't much care. I just love it.

Old 08-23-2013 | 08:12 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
You guys crack me up sometimes.

I only started riding 4 years ago but took to it like a duck to water. I have about 40k under my belt on two Harley's in that time the red mistress my 08 sportie 883 c that I put 27k on and the vixen my 11 deluxe that currently has about 14 k on it

I rarely ride in groups and if I am not riding alone I am riding with my husband who I married about a year into starting to ride. We know each other riding style and can mostly predict each others next move when out on a ride.

We do a lot of long distance trips that are multi day and multi state.

I still ride alone a fair amount. Honestly the people who I ever wonder about are the guys that hang out at biker bars that often when I am alone start telling me how to ride like since I am a girl alone I must need help. They are often the guys who mainly ride from home to bar. And frankly those are the people I worry about. They are also the ones that make ongoing cracks to me about riding with gear including telling me harley riders don't wear full faces. I don't care what you wear when you ride and only ask the same.

When we rode across the country to sturgis from MD I would get these guys mainly who trailered from the state over picking on my then sportie. My hubby got a hug kick out telling them I had ridden there from MD on my little sportie.

Ride your ride at your skill. Worry about your self and be aware of your surroundings. And figure out how and were you like to ride.

One thing I have found from when I was starting out is that the guys with the most miles and the biggest love for riding were open and inviting to new or newer riders. Mainly because they love to ride and loved when anyone was starting to share their passion in life.

Those are the riders I always want to be around.
Very well said. I remember when you were talking about taking your first long solo ride, I think it was up into PA. You were so nervous and look at you now. I hate cliches but......"You go girl"!!

Old 08-23-2013 | 09:29 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Very well said. I remember when you were talking about taking your first long solo ride, I think it was up into PA. You were so nervous and look at you now. I hate cliches but......"You go girl"!!
Yep you are right and I was extremely nervous. All you helped me through that moment and many more in beginning. And count this place both the general forum and the Queens as being a major piece of giving me the information and support to get through the first year and come out with a life long passion for riding. Which is why I hate it when I see people being judged vs helped.

Old 08-23-2013 | 10:44 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

95% of the time you can tell how good or experienced a rider is by watching them stop and take off at a stop light or stop sign. IMO it takes more skill to operate a bike safely and smoothly at slow speeds than at highway speeds.

Old 08-23-2013 | 01:32 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by lizdc
PS I can only hope I can ride as long as iron *** and see as many things as you have.
Gonna let you in a lil secret Liz. I have seen a hell of a lot in my life and the majority of it I saw when I wasn't even looking for anything.

As I told you several years ago. Just live life, don't plan it, just let it happen. I almost guarantee that if you do, you will have more memories than even a young sharp brain like yours can store.

Old 08-23-2013 | 03:21 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Mark, did you Hoka Hey this time around?

Old 08-23-2013 | 03:53 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Gonna let you in a lil secret Liz. I have seen a hell of a lot in my life and the majority of it I saw when I wasn't even looking for anything.

As I told you several years ago. Just live life, don't plan it, just let it happen. I almost guarantee that if you do, you will have more memories than even a young sharp brain like yours can store.
I hear ya. I've seen and experienced enough to fill a few lives.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider