The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013 | 05:53 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

error error

Last edited by eleutheros; 08-21-2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: wrong computer button
Old 08-21-2013 | 06:15 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
There are extenuating circumstances for every rule, please don't be stupid about it.

Very few riders will ever get to the advanced level of riding, most don't put the time in that is required. There is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, is that rider that has stopped learning.
Knowing the extenuating circumstances makes the experienced rider. Following strict rules will get you in trouble, like always putting down 2 feet when occasion dictates the need to use the back back brake because the hands are too busy to on the bars balancing or twisting.

Putting time into every kind of situation is the key to me. You can learn a lot from dirt riding, and that's the place to learn hard knocks.

Terrific thread. One of the best.
I'll still put down one or both feet depending on the comfort zone/situation.
I'll still keep a finger on the brake and even the clutch if I feel like it.
I'll still duck walk when it fits the safety situation. I could care less about "pro" turtle riding.
I won't EVER weave my bike back and forth in my lane when I see a car in front of me that might pull out in front of me. That's asking for a slip, or baiting the cage, or losing precious respond time. I'm watching for an idiot move, checking my mirrors, and figuring my options.
I'll ALWAYS look before changing lanes or turning.
I'll go over 100 on rare occasions because I can.
I'm done pulling out in front of cages just because I'm on a super bike, and I can.
I'll avoid MSF courses because my lessons are different from their RULES, though I've had 2 military required courses.
Helmets need to be a personal choice; my experience.

My bike has been my primary daily transportation, and on trips, in several states, for a lot of years. Never been able to do a wheelie.

Old 08-21-2013 | 07:44 AM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JaySwear
"Signs of an advanced rider?"

Get-back whip, out of state plates, a chrome vanity helmet, a sleeveless leather vest, and skull apparel. Skull apparel everywhere.

Did I miss anything?
Sportsters are for squids that aren't smart enough to buy a Dyna.

Old 08-21-2013 | 07:45 AM
RoadLord
Banned

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Signs of an advanced rider is, an equal number of arrivals as departures.,,,
Got that right!

Old 08-21-2013 | 09:22 AM
TheRooster
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadLord
Agreed! WTF? You ALWAYS physically look before changing lanes, while that mirror may continually remind you of how ugly you are, it doesn't quite keep up with traffic real well!
I would hope he's referring to the riders that physically turn their head and body to look, not those that take a quick glance by shifting their gaze. One should not turn their head so far as to lose track of what is in front of you (which I have seen people do). Generally, I've seen guys on crotch rockets do this stupid ****.

I have a tendency to lean forward a little and check my mirror. This allows me to see a good way back, and then I return to a normal position and barely turn my head to the lane I want in and glance in the same direction to check my blind spot.

Old 08-21-2013 | 09:41 AM
RoadLord
Banned

I tend to lean my head forward, look back and stay off the throttle til I whip my head back around... I've seen people run into the traffic ahead of them trying to look around and already assuming the lane... that's bad JUJU!

Old 08-21-2013 | 10:20 AM
beakerztoyz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
There are extenuating circumstances for every rule, please don't be stupid about it.

Very few riders will ever get to the advanced level of riding, most don't put the time in that is required. There is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, is that rider that has stopped learning.
I agree, I just wanted to give an example for all the people who said you should never have 2 feet down when stopped, it is really windy here a lot of the time, so basically I always put both feet down when I am stopped and hold the front brake.

It amazes me how little time some people spend practicing things while they are riding, I try to practice every time I get on the bike.

Old 08-21-2013 | 10:25 AM
RoadLord
Banned

Well I do put both my feet down when I stop, that's just me, I don't want my bike on it's side without a kickstand extended.

Old 08-21-2013 | 10:28 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Weaving in your lane when approaching a car pulling out of side road or drive way would more than likely get you clipped by a speeding crotch rocket going passed in the same lane here.

The dick heads scream by in the same lane at any speed from a few miles an hour faster than you to 100 mph faster and have no regard for the safety of themselves or anyone else.

A better move would be to flash your headlight between high and low beam, or prepare for an emergency stop, swerving in your lane is not the smartest way to ride.

Old 08-21-2013 | 10:37 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRooster
I would hope he's referring to the riders that physically turn their head and body to look, not those that take a quick glance by shifting their gaze.
We may never know what he meant. After making that goofy post, he never entered onto the discussion and tried to support his comment.

Ron

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider