The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013 | 05:21 AM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to seen an H-D touring model that can ridden to the edge of the tires.

Old 08-20-2013 | 05:22 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fortunato
I actually find it almost laughable that "fingers on the brake lever", is viewed by some, as a newbie/***** thing... If you're doing it because you lack experience and are truly unsure of yourself, that's one thing. However, anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle aggressively, whether on a dirt scoot or a street bike, will tell you that this is "how it's done"... Don't even need two fingers... And the lever is not being "covered", just in case... It's being aggressively worked, when and where necessary...

On the other hand... Cruising down the highway, doesn't even require your hands to be on the bars...

The "chicken strips" issue... I could grind the floorboards and brackets off of any softie in short order... Enough on that...
There's another 'literature' for you....I guess for those who don't know that probably haven't rode enough...well at least now they know.

Old 08-20-2013 | 06:34 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by HDogg
And that hundredths of a second is what makes the difference.Ask any dirt biker with proper training and they may tell you the same.I don't have the time to search for literature to prove this but this is something That I was thought(by professionals)during my dirt bike years and it is very applicable for road use too.If you've rode competitively,you'd know what I mean.Try this the next time you're on a clear road,quick repetitive braking with 2 fingers on the lever and then with all your fingers on the grip. In any case,if you think you're fast enough then you don't need to practice this.
We're not talking about dirt riding, we're not talking about competitve riding, and we're not even talking about highway riding (others said fingers not at the ready on the open highway.)

During normal riding, the extra hundreths of a second that it takes for me to move four fingers from grip to lever versus already having a couple of fingers on the lever is more than made up for by the pressure that I can apply to the lever with four fingers versus two.

Last edited by mmancuso; 08-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2013 | 06:54 AM
Ken Fortunato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso

During normal riding...
I guess it depends on your definition of "normal riding"... When I ride, I ride aggressively, which is not to be confused with recklessly. It's exhilarating, to me, and that's what "I" like, and why I ride...

But hey... Whatever blows your hair back, man...

Old 08-20-2013 | 07:13 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even when I took the Young Drivers of Canada course back on the 80's they taught the technique of covering the brake pedal when a situation would arise where you might have to apply the brakes. And putting two fingers on the brake lever can be done and not affect the throttle so why not?

cheers

Old 08-20-2013 | 07:59 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ken Fortunato
I guess it depends on your definition of "normal riding"... When I ride, I ride aggressively, which is not to be confused with recklessly. It's exhilarating, to me, and that's what "I" like, and why I ride...

But hey... Whatever blows your hair back, man...
I kind of assumed that you like to ride aggressively from all that you said.

What's "normal" riding for you, which you don't consider reckless because of your skill level, might appear so to others, but that's irrelevant.

As you said, whatever floats your boat. I'm not an aggressive rider in that I don't have to be constantly prepared for the quick taps on the brake that I know you use a lot when you ride. That's why you like to keep a couple of fingers at the ready: quick speed adjustments.

"normal" for me is not aggressive riding. That's not to say that I'm a wimp, but my days of constantly pushing the envelope are long passed.

Last edited by mmancuso; 08-20-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2013 | 08:10 AM
tom w 5448
Cruiser

took a ride sunday and noticed I use the 2 finger tech. when coming up on a situation where im going to have to stop. I guess its just automatic for me. as for going down the road no.

Old 08-20-2013 | 08:17 AM
Ken Fortunato
Tourer

What's "normal" riding for you, which you don't consider reckless because of your skill level, might appear so to others, but that's irrelevant.
Nope... Most people probably wouldn't even notice it... I'm not out there making a statement. When I ride, it's ALL about me and the bike, which is not necessarily fast...

"normal" for me is not aggressive riding. That's not to say that I'm a wimp, but my days of constantly pushing the envelope are long passed.
That's great. Seriously! I would never even remotely suggest that you should ride any other way, than how you want to... I mean that, wholeheartedly...

Rock-on, brother...

Old 08-20-2013 | 08:23 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
That has got to be one of the most asinine statements ever quoted in my opinion. I would love to see the stats that back it up.

The same could be said regarding driving a car or falling in the shower and would be just accurate.

Nothing more than fear mongering and trying to make others feel they are dependent on the one saying it for an education to insure their safety.

Thank you: a more stupid fear & anxiety inducing statement for new riders never existed. The boogeyman is gonna get you.....

Old 08-20-2013 | 09:42 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tom w 5448
took a ride sunday and noticed I use the 2 finger tech. when coming up on a situation where im going to have to stop. I guess its just automatic for me. as for going down the road no.
The key here is highlighted: you don't ride like that all the time.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider