The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013 | 05:45 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
The riders I stay away from are the ones who look back over thier shoulder when making lane changes. That makes me very nervous just watching this very dangerous rider.
I always look over my shoulder before making a lane change. And after 40+ years of big city, 24/7/365 riding, I have found it to be helpful. The dangerous riders are the ones so scared they are afraid to turn their heads enough to be aware of their surroundings.

Ron

Old 08-18-2013 | 08:24 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
The riders I stay away from are the ones who look back over thier shoulder when making lane changes. That makes me very nervous just watching this very dangerous rider. Most riders I have seen doing this are tailgating and pacing faster than the flow of traffic which means frequent looks over left shoulder then the right shoulder and some riders have one hand on the face shield so it does not flip up while doing this.
Probably the most inexperienced quote I've read in this entire thread.If you don't look back when changing lanes then I don't want to be anywhere near YOU when riding.If you think you can 'see it all' in that little bitty mirror your sadly mistaken.

Old 08-18-2013 | 08:45 PM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
I know I'm a new guy and will probably get blasted for responding, but whatever. I think this list describes about 0.01% of riders. And of those that practice all of these things I bet less than half do these things ALL the time. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I get in streaks where my balance is off for some reason and I wobble to stops or stop crooked. Other streaks of great stops, perfectly balanced and right where I intended.

One thing I keep reading and think is complete BS is stopping with only 1 foot on the ground. Not 'giving up the back brake'? Not buying it, and I think it's asking for trouble to give up the balance achieved with 2 feet. The front brake isn't enough when stopped?!?! Right. A good gust of wind from the left and over you go....but not giving up the back brake!

Anyway....my $0.02. Fire away.
Agreed, I feel more comfortable with the bike balanced between the 2 outriggers (feet) when stopped. Not that I can't keep it up with one but more comfortable. Keeping hand brake on so my LEDs are bright.

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:08 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So an advanced rider is that effin good he doesn't have to look over his shoulder before making a lane change...say what now?

That sounds and describes a stupid and short lifespan rider...you got to be freakin kidding me.

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:10 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Only use 1 foot to stop cause you need to keep the other on the foot brake? A good rider can work the front brake and throttle at the same time. I am a 2 feet stopper

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:10 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I find I instinctively use one foot at stops. I just like keeping my right foot on the break until I'm stopped, then just leave it there. It does get tricky then the road crooks just at the last second and you have to quickly put your right foot down too - without looking like a noob.

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:14 PM
MattCo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
How do you brake hard with one finger? Maybe I speak for myself on this, but there's not a snow ball's chance in hell I can adequately "hard brake" with one finger. Perhaps I just need a stronger finger.
If needed be, it's better to have one finger on the lever than nothing. There's many ways to train your fingers

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:30 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Originally Posted by heybaylor
the bike has nothing to do about skill, the rider does .
Agreed

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:32 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a newb. Just make sure you give me a bunch of space, never know what I might do!

Old 08-18-2013 | 09:56 PM
MattCo
Tourer

Why stop with 1 foot if I have 2? That's plain stupid, I have worked hard to pay for my bike to drop it because "I want to look pro" or whatever. I could care less about what people do when parking their bikes or at a red light. I care about what they do when riding next to me, that's what tells me if he/she is a good rider or not.

If they want to do whatever they want to do to stay on the safe side, who am I to tell them they're doing wrong or they're acting like greenhorns.

To me an advanced rider does everything to stay safe, to be seen and to stay up in two. They look over their shoulder when changing lanes, control the bike when stopping (no wobble) and always look for possible ways to escape a disaster (even though there's no sign of something happening).

All the people I ride with, tend to ride with one or two fingers on the brake, and I do that too. Got used to it since I was a little cub riding Enduro bikes, and I still do it. I also expect other riders to tap on their brakes a couple times before breaking among others.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider