The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:19 PM
Jack Ryan
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
went out riding today and since I thought it was such a jackhole comment that people who duck walk aren't experienced riders I counted people who did it. in the parking lot alone where the wife and I went I counted 50 people duck walking there bikes. and no they were not backing out. on the way home at what lights we did get I counted 5. lots of bad riders around. and not a one of them only stop with 1 foot down they use TWO. can you believe it. I say we hunt them down and tell them how bad they are.
If they didn't dump it or kill it in traffic, meh, it's a public street not a race track and no one is getting PAID to perform on command.

Oh, and everyone kept their hands on their own handle bars, then it was a good day.

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:41 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Advanced Rider = Supreme confidence in one's abilities; the expertise and poise to navigate around/through/between any obstacle God or man puts in your way. In case you are unsuccessful in the latter...and it's your time...the knowledge that you will go well, and those around you, staring down at your broken body lying in the weeds (or on the pavement) will say...."What a man."

Alan

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:36 PM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
The riders I stay away from are the ones who look back over thier shoulder when making lane changes.
You don't head check before changing lanes in traffic?

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:49 PM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Markk9

when I switch lanes I pretend to be out of control by wobbling. People back off and I make my move.

I do a quick look see.

Last edited by 300Slim; 08-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2013 | 01:58 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
This is one indication of an advanced rider. (Yep, it's me)
Sweet!

Old 08-18-2013 | 02:18 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Ya I don't get that one either. I always look over my shoulder when driving the bike or the truck.

Old 08-18-2013 | 02:31 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
The number one sign of an advanced rider is that person will ask for help when he drops his touring bike. A newbie will try very hard to stand it up before anyone sees that he or she dropped the bike.
WRONG. There is a simple technique to use in picking up a 800+ Lb. touring bike by yourself-no back injury or dislocated joints. What happens when you drop the bike out somewhere all by yourself?

Last edited by PghCycle24; 08-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2013 | 02:40 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTR08
Just to clear up a couple myths...

AFTER you come to a complete stop using both brakes you should put both feet down unless there is loose material or something slippery under your right foot. It is a simple stability issue.

It is perfectly fine for an experienced rider to cover or keep a couple fingers on the front brake. Novices are told never to cover the front brake because we don't want them to overreact to a situation and grab the front brake.

There is nothing wrong with taking a couple quick steps when you start especially if the potential for the rear wheel to loose traction is possible, loose material, sand, oil, etc. It is simple common sense.

This isn't rocket surgery, the physical part of riding a motorcycle is the simple part. Different people have different techniques and styles. What makes a good rider is what goes on above the handlebars in his, or her, head. You can't see that so you really don't know. A rider may look cool and look like they are doing all the right things but if they aren't using effective observational skills, if they are prone to taking risks and making bad decisions, they are no better off and more dangerous on the road than a brand new rider.
Rocket surgery? Must be a new medical specialty.

Old 08-18-2013 | 03:02 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
Rocket surgery? Must be a new medical specialty.
Same place you study brain science.

cheers

Old 08-18-2013 | 04:00 PM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,092 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Xube
They're in England, DB. They always drive on the wrong side of the road. Now that weave might get you blowing in the meter...
Yeah, I know. I like to point out the fact that they drive on the wrong side whenever I can.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider