The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013 | 12:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm far from a great rider but I've done a few track days and I feel I learned more in a few days at the track than I did in years and years of riding on the street. The more I learn the more I realize I'm far from knowing it all. It allows you learn good cornering techniques, with the help of coaching and how to brake hard in a relatively safe environment.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-17-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2013 | 06:25 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

went out riding today and since I thought it was such a jackhole comment that people who duck walk aren't experienced riders I counted people who did it. in the parking lot alone where the wife and I went I counted 50 people duck walking there bikes. and no they were not backing out. on the way home at what lights we did get I counted 5. lots of bad riders around. and not a one of them only stop with 1 foot down they use TWO. can you believe it. I say we hunt them down and tell them how bad they are.

Old 08-17-2013 | 06:45 PM
fairchild
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
went out riding today and since I thought it was such a jackhole comment that people who duck walk aren't experienced riders I counted people who did it. in the parking lot alone where the wife and I went I counted 50 people duck walking there bikes. and no they were not backing out. on the way home at what lights we did get I counted 5. lots of bad riders around. and not a one of them only stop with 1 foot down they use TWO. can you believe it. I say we hunt them down and tell them how bad they are.
And I bet no one dropped their bike with, OH My God 2 feet on the ground.

Old 08-17-2013 | 11:20 PM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MSF didn't teach us 1 foot down....It taught both down.

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:13 AM
45fan
Tourer

I can stop with one foot down but I generally don't. Especially if I am riding with my wife. If I am on a steep hill I might so that I can keep my foot on the rear break but I can take off even then with both feet down. I don't know it just seems safer to me to have both feet down at a light.

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:16 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
I don't know. Riding on the wrong side of the road and swerving is a good way to get pulled over around here.
See Me I'm a Drunk Stoned Yuppie
They're in England, DB. They always drive on the wrong side of the road. Now that weave might get you blowing in the meter...

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:18 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ron750
I am usually a fan of putting both feet down, in case there is some slippery surfacing. One time, when I did something so stupid, I am not telling what it is, I had to stop quickly, and I had already taken my foot off brake.So I had to use my front brake with the front wheel turned. I was able to hold up the bike, but I would have been better off if I could have used my rear brake.I have about 45k miles in experience. Not much, but one thing I learned is to worry more about what I am doing and not watch other bikers.
As far as taking off with both feet down, I can do that as fast as anyone who holds the rear brake. Accelerating and picking up both feet in one motion, doesn't take any longer than picking up one foot.
I love getting advice from better riders, but sometimes it comes off as bragging, which gets on my nerves.
Arguing back and justifying comes across as unwilling to learn.

Old 08-18-2013 | 01:22 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
If I've been riding 100 miles and come to a stop light, I'm putting both feet down. I might even stand up and wiggle my ***.
Well, you're the Boss.

Old 08-18-2013 | 04:14 AM
Markk9
|
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mainboom150
It's not about telling people they are or are not a good rider, it's more about people that you ride around with. Whether they are part of a group rider, or rider that you come up upon while riding. The ability level I judge a rider or group of riders will determine how I handle them, ie will I pass them at the next open area of the road. It's also about my safety around other riders.

I can't judge anyone's ability over the computer, I have to watch how they ride. Just because you have 25+ years of riding doesn't mean your an advanced rider, I have seen many that are just riding at the same experience level 25 times over. I come from a military aviation background, were each and every flight was a learning experience. Years and hours meant experience. I have carried that with me into riding, but I find that the vast majority do not.

Last edited by Markk9; 08-18-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2013 | 07:03 AM
300Slim
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
One thing I've learned over the years what works for me could get you killed and visa versa so while anyone should master the common skills needed to stay alive on 2 wheels take the rest with a grain of salt and do what works for you . May be why I prefer to ride alone , damn few people I trust ..........

You can trust anyone here thats made it past "NEW GUY"

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider