The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013 | 03:53 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I've always picked my feet up, as soon as I start to roll. Sometimes...and I know it may be illegal...I don't put my feet down but I still come to a complete stop, even if it's a micro second.

I use two fingers on my front break. I'd be afraid to use more, thinking I might over squeeze it. I've used one but that's just to slow down but generally I use two.

Old 08-12-2013 | 03:54 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Have yo ever tried it? You can brake with a good amount of force with one finger. Either way, it cuts down on reaction time to start slowing down.
That's a fact.....been riding with the 1 finger guard for years. Amazing how much force and reaction time help.

Old 08-12-2013 | 03:55 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have yo ever tried it? You can brake with a good amount of force with one finger. Either way, it cuts down on reaction time to start slowing down.
I have fairly big hands, but I'm with you I can almost lock up that front wheel with one finger. Harley touring bikes have GREAT front brakes.

Old 08-12-2013 | 03:56 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I ride with four other guys on road trips. I have just never mastered the curves in the mountains. I slow down and ride to my skill level. Two of the guys are very skilled. When cutting through the curves they hold their lane and speed. They attack the road with what I call smooth grace. I am up and down on speed and have to work on my line through the curves. Just don't have the natural skill that they have.

Old 08-12-2013 | 04:03 PM
jbc1200
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick-e-b
I have fairly big hands, but I'm with you I can almost lock up that front wheel with one finger. Harley touring bikes have GREAT front brakes.
My Sportster is the same way. I pretty much always use just one finger. I also always keep one finger on the clutch and brake, except for some deserted interstate stretches.

Old 08-12-2013 | 04:11 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I've had the luxury of riding with some very good riders, some of the same riders for over 20 years.
Most of the time we ride side by side through the mountain roads, I trust them with my life and likewise.
I can tell if someone is inexperienced just by watching them ride from behind... If they look like they need a wide path I give it to them.

No reason to make someone uncomfortable or expect them to ride beyond their capabilities.. That's how people get killed.

Old 08-12-2013 | 04:17 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Left foot only down at a stop, not giving up the rear brake.

No see sawing of the front wheel as they come to a stop or ride slowly.

When stopped, bike is in left wheel track, right foot on peg or board. Bike is not cockeyed in the lane because they stopped where the bike stopped; they MADE the bike stop exactly where they wanted.

They don't put a foot down in oil, water, coolant or other unstable footing.

Head checks AND signals when changing lanes.

Tires are worn nearly to the edges instead of "Chicken Strips" of brand new tire except in the very middle.

Protective gear, helmet, jacket, gloves & boots that don't just slip on. If they slipped on, they can slip off. Another sign is gear that's worn and sun faded. They do NOT look like they just came from the set of a pirate movie.

Can make full lock U turns and standing start U turns to the left and right. Head and eyes are twisted to see where they want to go, not where they are now.

They negotiate curves outside, inside, outside. Meaning right hand curve entry close to the yellow line, left hand curve entry close to the white line. Reduces angle, increases visibility.

Ground speed in curves is fast but the rider doesn't look dramatic doing it, almost looking slow and deliberate. Never crosses the centerline from running wide.

They are never surprised when they meet another vehicle in a curve coming the other way (in their own lane) and consequently don't jerk the controls or brake for no reason.

Brake before a turn and throttle out. Sometimes they don't even brake for a turn at all because they judged corner speed so accurately that they only needed engine braking.

I could go on and on. The signs are there if you know what to look for. Anybody can buy a guitar and play Smoke On The Water; few can really play, and a small minority can make it cry, moan and sing.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 08-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2013 | 04:23 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

o_O

Sure sign of a n00b rider? Backs into a space that is uphill. LOL

Old 08-12-2013 | 05:08 PM
BorrachoMidget
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
o_O

Sure sign of a n00b rider? Backs into a space that is uphill. LOL

My wife has been riding for a couple of years now. She's becoming a pretty darn good rider, but at times her RKC can be a bit to handle in parking lots for her. I have explained the "when to back in" theory, but evidently the "which way is up" gene is stronger in some more than others. The idea is to let gravity work for you. Like anything, some things take longer to teach/learn than others. She's still trying to teach me things

Old 08-12-2013 | 05:16 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

We all know what makes a squid a squid, but I got to thinking of the things I see that tell me the guy has a good handle on his machine, or signs of an experianced rider.

Here's a few to start off the list. Please add your own.

1. Smooth pull away. Lots of guys either blip, or rev their bike too much when pulling away from a stop. To me, the expert can make his bike smoothly pull away with both his clutch and his throttle perfectly in tune so it pulls away like an automatic car. I'm talking normal street riding not track days.

2. Perfect balance at slow speeds. Watch most guys take off. Untill they reach a speed of about 25mph a lot of guys wobble all over their lane. A good rider can pull away without any wobble.

3. Guys that ride mostly around the speedlimit, but exceed it just enough to keep moving very slightly faster than traffic and stay visible and assertive. This one is hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. It just speaks of a professionalism and politeness while riding, but they don't just toodle along in blind spots like so many cruiser guys have a tendency to do.
No wave. GFYS!

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider