The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of an advanced rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:03 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

After riding suicide shift for so many years I just can't get myself to put my right foot down. It's an unconscious procedure that I've adapted to today's standard bikes.
As far as some of you guys applying front brakes when entering gas stations, well that's a lesson some have to learn the hard way.

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:21 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Duck Waddling is the #1 sign of rookieness. I have seen guys see-saw and duck waddle all the way to a stop on small and big bikes. I've seen guys that have a bagger with gear and a fat *** bitch on the back Thatll smoothly come to a stop in a straight line and only put down the left foot. If you can't articulate your machine without duck waddling, you need practice. Motorcycles are built to balance on 2 wheels. Use it.

As much as I hate to say it.... Watch the Cops that ride their bikes. I despise cops. Hate them. But the motorcycle cops are damn good riders.

There is no excuse to duck walk on any bike.

Last edited by ColoFXDC; 08-13-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2013 | 10:22 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I see someone pulling a wheelie for a long stretch, I know that I am seeing an advanced rider. Standing on the seat while doing 60, another advanced rider. Jumping, yep, advanced. Kinda of surprised that these types of advanced riding haven't been mentioned.

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:25 AM
Simple Man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Coming out of a big sweeper curve about 20 mph faster than you went in.
Fun stuff.
Only +20? Yep, you're a rookie too! +20 doesn't get rid of your chicken strips. You need to be at least +30 to keep up with some of the experts around here.

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:30 AM
Simple Man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Artlee
When I see someone pulling a wheelie for a long stretch, I know that I am seeing an advanced rider. Standing on the seat while doing 60, another advanced rider. Jumping, yep, advanced. Kinda of surprised that these types of advanced riding haven't been mentioned.

Advanced riding requires common sense. Doing the things you mention on the street requires a total lack of common sense. Therefore do not belong in the advanced rider category.

Just cause they got skills don't mean they got smarts.

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:33 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

lots of different ways to skin a cat...riding for around 40 years. some things are indicative of the MSF style of riding, nothing wrong with that, but some people learned before MSF or learned on the track and will utilize different skills.
I am usually a one foot guy at a light, but see nothing at all wrong with putting both down if the situation is suitable. I can pull away raising two feet as quickly as someone does with one foot. Usually always in gear though, ready to bolt, even if there is someone stopped behind me.

Took the MSF experienced rider course a few years ago and they tell you NOT to cover the front brake during most manuevers. There are times when you might feel you need to, that's cool if it works for you.

I am a feet up immediately guy, seldom have a foot down unless I feel like I need to "dab", a holdover from dirtbike days.

I can do the stop without foot down, neat trick and shows prowess and mastery of the machine but it is more of a gimmick in most cases, unless you need to go through a stop sign a millisecond quicker.

My lane postion at a stop is entirely dependant on the road condition and situation. Left lane is not always the answer.

Turns are situation dependant also, SEE technique works well in evaluating what you are going to need to do. The techniques I used when I road raced in my twenties do not always apply on the street. Smoothness is a sign you got it right, though.

Techniques you learn riding by yourself are not the same as riding packed tigh andfast in a group.

Braking is a two wheeld affair, but the front brake is the primary stopper on modern, unmodified bikes. Learn when to use the back brake. Front brake can be used to change position in a curve or lane if needed AND YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT. Find your limits on your brakes and practice them.

The main thing is, after 4 decades is to never forget to learn or relearn something every time you go out, and practice it in your day to day riding. The bar of proficiency is a moving target that you will never reach.....

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:39 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,086 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by ConeMagnet
When you guys talk about covering the front brake, are you completely letting off the throttle as you cover the brake? If not, try this experiment. While mounted on your started motorcycle, but not moving and in neutral, throttle up to about 2,000 RPM and cover your front brake and clutch as you would if you have sensed the possibility of having to make an emergency stop. Now, imagine a car has just entered your path making a right turn and squeeze the front brake and pull in the clutch with the urgency needed in an emergency stop.

If you can't get off the throttle while squeezing the brake lever, the engine will continue to rev at 2,000 RPM. Now imagine you're actually under power. When you pull in the clutch, the RPM's will climb up quickly. That will cause a whole mess of engine whine and, if you were in an emergency situation probably add to your stress.

Try it and be honest about it since I already gave away the potential problem.

Regarding outside-inside-outside curve negotiation, I think that makes a lot of sense on a nice, even, debris free road. The roads around me have some pretty deep tire tracks. If it hasn't rained in awhile, the middle of the lane gets some pretty nasty crud build-up. So if I go outside-inside-outside in a curve, I pop out of and into tire tracks as well as cross the crud zone in the middle. To me, it seems safer to just adjust my speed so I can stay in my "lane" throughout the entire curve.

Enough of the hijacking of the thread by me. To stay on point I would say that the riders that have always impressed me have "smoothness." They make riding a motorcycle look effortless.
But I can. You can too. I guess it takes practice, I've been doing it for so long I can't remember. I always keep the brake covered in danger zones.

Old 08-13-2013 | 10:55 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

My wife knows that if I dont put both feet down, she's not to make any comfort adjustments at this stop!

Old 08-13-2013 | 11:28 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,219 Likes on 6,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Simple Man
Only +20? Yep, you're a rookie too! +20 doesn't get rid of your chicken strips. You need to be at least +30 to keep up with some of the experts around here.
Pardon me. Neglected to mention being +20 going in to begin with (happy now?)...and trailers don't count, Hot Rod.

Old 08-13-2013 | 12:26 PM
Simple Man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Pardon me. Neglected to mention being +20 going in to begin with (happy now?)...and trailers don't count, Hot Rod.
Relax. I wasn't being serious. I was jabbing the "chicken strip" crowd. Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

Quick Reply: Signs of an advanced rider