The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ID check at Army post gate

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 10:01 AM
taygull
Tourer

Learn to get the bike in "N" and maybe put it in your jacket pocket...

Old 07-29-2013 | 01:02 PM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member

I usually slip into neutral before and coast the last few feet and just hand them my card holder with ID in it. Never had them pull it out of the holder to look at the back or anything like they do when you are in a car. Think they give a little slack to people on bikes cause they know it can be a pain.

I carry my ID in a metal credit card holder and it is pretty easy to pull out of my pocket even with gloves.

Old 07-29-2013 | 09:04 PM
Alibey
Cruiser

I wear the milspec reflective vest with the clear ID pocket and a zip pocket. I carry my ID in the zip pocket, cost to the gate in neutral if possible, come to a stop and shift in neutral when I can't, unzip the pocket, pull the ID and hand it to the guard. Wait for the guard to return it, replace in pocket, rezip, first gear and go.

Old 07-30-2013 | 12:01 PM
jjmitchem
|
Advanced

Banks for all the ideas. Reflective vest not required any more here (thought that was Army wide) and I don't go onto Hickham that often, probably need to get one just to have.

I like the glove idea, I see a lot of guys pulling over before the gate to get out their IDs

Old 08-01-2013 | 05:42 PM
acunn1
Road Captain

Look around . They make a retractable lanyard I used for my gate entry card at work. It clips where ever you need it

Old 08-01-2013 | 07:53 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior

Reflective and bright colors are not required off post/base DOD wide. Post/Base Commander's can make it required on their post/base. If you need the DOD policy confirming that reflective/bright colors are not required off post/base, pm me your email. I keep a digital copy on my phone.

Old 08-01-2013 | 09:53 PM
evil71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acunn1
Look around . They make a retractable lanyard I used for my gate entry card at work. It clips where ever you need it
Yea, I have about 10 of those stupid things in my desk drawer...lol

Reflective vest isn't required here, but since I have it, might as well use it.

Old 08-09-2013 | 03:38 PM
402capt
Cruiser

I work on an Army installation. The guards are D.A. Civilians and can be a real pain. I've seen them turn riders around because their helmets didn't have a DOT sticker on the back. Helmet and eye protection, reflective vest, long sleeve shirt or jacket, full gloves and boots are also a requirement year 'round. They redirect riders to the parking lot for "random" safety checks on a regular basis too. I generally just drive to work to avoid the trouble.

Old 08-14-2013 | 12:46 AM
Jinx1C4
Tourer

Originally Posted by 402capt
I work on an Army installation. The guards are D.A. Civilians and can be a real pain. I've seen them turn riders around because their helmets didn't have a DOT sticker on the back. Helmet and eye protection, reflective vest, long sleeve shirt or jacket, full gloves and boots are also a requirement year 'round. They redirect riders to the parking lot for "random" safety checks on a regular basis too. I generally just drive to work to avoid the trouble.
Damn. Where are you stationed? Sounds like a pain in the nuts. They're pretty easy on us here at JBLM. I work on the Ft Lewis side (TACP) so I don't get over to McChord very often but they're still not that bad.

Old 08-14-2013 | 04:09 PM
duane5157
Intermediate

I just stop and pull out my card and take my time **** those cagers.duane5157

Quick Reply: ID check at Army post gate