The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Older Biker
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Back in the 70's I had a panhead 86" stroker all stroke no bore and it was like that . I was 60 lbs lighter then so it worked my *** off me , that and watching guys go through what you did set me getting educated and finding a cure made me a much better wrench for it too . Motor's still tight on this one but it's getting easier or I'm getting fatter . Since that $300 starter doesn't do it I have to . I've found the sweet spot for motor & parts configuration she hits on 2 consistency if not hit button and pedal at the same time gives it enough boost to roll over good then . I'm pushing 60 it will be getting old in a while see that coming .

Think my worst was an old BSA 441 Victor 1lung dirt bike somebody had tweaked over for flat racing and I mean old school stuff . Of coarse I was young and 150lbs wet and didn't know any of this till later , that one flipped me completely over the handle bar's a couple times was a serious leg breaker .
Man, your sure bringing back a flood of memories.
Every bike I've ever owned, I paid cash for. So, when I first started riding, it was always used bikes and I'm thinking it was third bike I bought, (about that time, I was riding british bikes, (Triumphs and BSA's) anyway, I had this OLD army bike that was painted army green. I just can't remember if it was a BSA or BMW. But anyway, it was a 500cc single cylinder that had the compression release AND spark advance on the handlebar. Strictly kick start and that sucker wore my but out, trying to get just the right combination, to start it, especially when everything back then had points and condensers and you could never tell when a condenser would go out.
To this day, I ALWAYS carry an extra set of points and a condenser in the bags of my 69 EGlide.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Think my worst was an old BSA 441 Victor 1lung dirt bike somebody had tweaked over for flat racing and I mean old school stuff . Of coarse I was young and 150lbs wet and didn't know any of this till later , that one flipped me completely over the handle bar's a couple times was a serious leg breaker .
Wow, that brought back some memories. I bought a BSA Victor in '66 or '67, brand new paid something like $695 for it. The starting process was critical, turn on the fuel, tickle the carb, pull in the compression release, kick it through a few times, then, turn on the ignition, pull the compression release, kick and release the compression release about half way through the stroke........repeat as nessecary.The answer for someone that wanted to "ride your bike" was, "sure if you can start it you can ride it". It was a real leg breaker if you did it wrong.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I haven't kicked anything over in quite a few years now... bad right knee and fugged up left foot... ridin the rigid I let my finger turn the 113" over... need compression releases on it one day, starters ain't cheap!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This threads like the Energizer Bunny .................................................. .....
If we could Can this Thread we'd have a Source of Perpetual Energy.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,044 Likes on 17,932 Posts

Originally Posted by krwould
I haven't kicked anything over in quite a few years now... bad right knee and fugged up left foot... ridin the rigid I let my finger turn the 113" over... need compression releases on it one day, starters ain't cheap!

I do like those motors Evo style haven't had any experience with twin cams yet they aren't old enough to see me yet . Those are real hard on the starting system without the comp releases . With a Hi Po version I don't think you could kick one over

Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,044 Likes on 17,932 Posts

delete , the dreaded repost monster got me .

Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I do like those motors Evo style haven't had any experience with twin cams yet they aren't old enough to see me yet . Those are real hard on the starting system without the comp releases . With a Hi Po version I don't think you could kick one over
Thats a yup... I wouldn't advise tryin it either!! Hehe!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
tarheelbagger1964
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Come on man ... 3/4 of the time we spend on this site is to poke fun at each other. If everybody was serious, this would be one damn boring web site with just a limited amount of members.
+1, I for one never bought a harley for speed or to race. If I wanted speed, I would have a metric. I bought a harley for sound and comfort, looks aint bad either.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Shovelhead 1%er
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
man you need to get a chill pill i couldne`t stop laughing of course i could only read one paragraph, you are a friggin idiot, you embarass us, no wonder your a hangaround not a real member
Are you for real? I just did some math, and you average 49 + posts a month. That is just on this site. That alone tells me you spend more time on a keyboard than a bike. You are exactly what the man was describing.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Come on man ... 3/4 of the time we spend on this site is to poke fun at each other. If everybody was serious, this would be one damn boring web site with just a limited amount of members.
That ,my friend is exactly right,not to mention this is winter time!! My point being,I poked a little fun at a guy trying to figure out how to attach a wire to one of the new style connectors,the 1st reply he got was a funny response showing some guy with a long azz pipe stuck up against a bike,thought that was funny so I added a pic of some weird looking clamp.But then I added another reply/small pic of a girl laying on a bed and another one kneeling down with a sawsall....personally I thought it was funny BUT i musta hurt the poor guys fragile ego and he reported me,thus getting me booted for a week !.....I couldn't freekin believe it! I shoulda just dropped this site but,I've met some good dudes on here with a hellava lot of knowledge and some friends that I might never have met otherwise.Man I've seen some hillarious crap on hereand some stupid quesions that a large majority will jump on like stink on sheeut but I doubt anyone goes runnin to the principles office when they get joked at,slammed or slammed back!

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?