The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Older Biker
Thanks Tactical. The key is to w*rk (damn, I hate to say that word) hard and make lots of money when you are young, so you can buy new bikes and still hang onto the old ones. Then when you get old enough to retire (yaay) you have a nice collection and can ride every day, and enjoy your remaining days.
Great. NOW ya tell me I should have worked hard and made lots of money when I was younger. Where were you 20 years ago

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,044 Likes on 17,932 Posts

Sweet ride Twizted. Did you chrome the rocker covers or is that a Mothers polish job?
Since you mentioned getting ready to do a pan, let me know if you need any parts or advice. We have a couple of members that have pan's and one of them has a ton of parts he is always looking to swap.

Complete S&S uppers with their 2 pc rocker boxes , roller rocker arms , dual plugged heads , high lift valve train & late model evo type lifter system with internal oiling all pushed by a .600 lift cam . Notice the 1/8" oil isn't here to feed the rockers ? it's an expensive bitch if you don't find deals but man what a difference it makes for a shovel with 93" @ just under 11-1 comp. .

Shovel rocker boxes just do not clean up well period . You'll never get the pits out of them polishing or plating without big bucks and lot of hand lapping to get the mounting surfaces flat again . I use some stuff that used to called Extreem metal polish . It's like a rough cotton ball wadding soaked in in something , you tear off a piece and just rub . Best alum cleaner polish I've tried . Hear they don't sell it anymore under that name .

I'll keep in mind for the pan stuff thanks , I'll shoot you a PM later . Thanks .

Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Older Biker
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Complete S&S uppers with their 2 pc rocker boxes , roller rocker arms , dual plugged heads , high lift valve train & late model evo type lifter system with internal oiling all pushed by a .600 lift cam . Notice the 1/8" oil isn't here to feed the rockers ? it's an expensive bitch if you don't find deals but man what a difference it makes for a shovel with 93" @ just under 11-1 comp. .

Shovel rocker boxes just do not clean up well period . You'll never get the pits out of them polishing or plating without big bucks and lot of hand lapping to get the mounting surfaces flat again . I use some stuff that used to called Extreem metal polish . It's like a rough cotton ball wadding soaked in in something , you tear off a piece and just rub . Best alum cleaner polish I've tried . Hear they don't sell it anymore under that name .

I'll keep in mind for the pan stuff thanks , I'll shoot you a PM later . Thanks .
Sounds like you got PLENTY of power. Don't you just LOVE the sound of a shovel, at low idle with straight pipes?

The cleaner you are talking about in a can goes by several brands. I think one is "Dura-glass" and the other one is "never Dull." I have used both of them, but old habits are hard to break and I have rubbed and rubbed using "Mothers Mag & Alum Polish" since the shovels first came out and have learned that I can make polished Alum look "almost" like chrome.

BTW, my besides the custom paint, my red 79 shovel has a 'diamond cut" pattern on the heads ( I will have to get a close up photo of the heads) and a custom cut design on the front and back fenders in order to get a little extra attention when I park it.

But all in all, I generally ride it a couple of times a week and whenever I ride it, with it's forward controls, it's a TOY that takes me back to my youth and lets me get lost in my memories of days gone by. Only it's not a rigid frame and I have seriously been thinking about building ONE MORE chopper, complete with an 8 or 10 over girder, before I am too old to hold one up.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,044 Likes on 17,932 Posts

Sounds like you got PLENTY of power. Don't you just LOVE the sound of a shovel, at low idle with straight pipes?

The cleaner you are talking about in a can goes by several brands. I think one is "Dura-glass" and the other one is "never Dull." I have used both of them, but old habits are hard to break and I have rubbed and rubbed using "Mothers Mag & Alum Polish" since the shovels first came out and have learned that I can make polished Alum look "almost" like chrome.

Ya she kick's out about 94-95 hp and the mod list is too long to even start here , fine tuned into a very smooth riding reliable bike mirror buzz doesn't set in till over 75 . Bunch of the local new bike guys won't ride with me anymore . Spent bokoo bucks on a bike then dump several grand more in and still can't outrun a 39 yr old bike , kinda pisses on their ego and bragging rights a bit .

This is the stuff I use on alum. best I've ever found , guess it's back on the market again YEH !! Try it and you find out why Mothers is only half the real name , you'll use the rest of it thinking about all the work you didn't have to .

http://www.xtreemusa.com/metalpolish.html

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default S & S Shovel??

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Twizted, isn't that entire motor aftermarket? Correct me if I'm wrong but the lower end is not "stock" right? It looks like one of those S & S Shovel engines you can buy and drop in??? If so, did it just bolt right up? Any frame mods to take the more powerful motor, etc.?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
yeah but readin about and seein pics of shovels beats reading "who's a biker" any day.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
yeah but readin about and seein pics of shovels beats reading "who's a biker" any day.
And that's a fact!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Who gives a crap what someone wears, doesn't wear, how much they ride, what they ride, or any other issue.

Some of you concerned girly boys just give it a rest. No one cares what you think.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
Yeah F' it Shovels are a thing of beauty ain't they?

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?