The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,668 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I am a Harley owner, rider, & enthusiast. Nothing more;nothing less.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 AM
boomsling
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just like to ride, so I guess I'm a rider.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:02 AM
control
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reference, "Biker" passed down to me from word of mouth, and having a lot of family and close friends to verify over the years, has changed a lot. Seems to me when all this monkey business started was for the ride, for those who enjoyed a bicycle with an engine. HD started a revolution they couldnt fathom. At first, everyone, rode motorcycles. Then when the Colors came to be, the idea of the "Biker" was born. Seemingly negative for perspective(some would proclaim obvious) reasons in history, however, its also all perspective. None of us are the same, and the world would be boring if that were the case. My great uncle was a moonshiner, and Im sure a lot of us drink alcohol; so does that make him wrong? Not in certain eyes. Bikers and MCs over the years have had bad raps, and had given regular everyday "riders" and racers an unforgivingly bad name due to misassociation, simply because of a brand name on the tank of a motorcycle. Nowadays, a lot of MCs are becoming more legitamate and there are less claiming to be 1%ers. (On a side note, I have nothing against anyone, 1%er or not, I believe in freedom) So this diversification in the brand of HD, nonetheless in the motorcycle world is changing the way people have been channeled to view or think of the word, Biker. I still belive the word itself has an unnecessarily negative connotation, but hey, its the world we live in. Calling out people that choose to ride a blacked out dyna, saying theyre posers is pretty ignorant, too. I've been riding motorcycles since age 4, before I could pedal a bicycle. My father raced oval in the 60s. He started me on a PW50 with training wheels, and not a week in, they flew off the bike by themselves. 25 years later, Im still riding for the enjoyment of it, and I love my Dyna. I'm unaffiliated with any clubs but have many friends in both outlaw and non outlaw clubs. This is a sensitive topic to a lot of people. The word Biker means a lot more than a lot of the inexperienced and uneducated on the history of the culture know. This topic can also inevitably tangent into so many topics as well. I'm surprised it hasn't imploded already. Respect all, ride safe, ride hard, and be the example. Im a Rider, but who knows, life goes on, and I could say Im a Biker another time.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Scorp76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a member of a local club reach out to me the other day. Invited me down to the clubhouse last night but couldn't make it. Probably get down there soon to check it out. Talking with the guy sounds like it's right up my alley. They of course do the hang around period, prospect, etc.

The chapter Prez actually lives in my neighborhood, seen him riding around alot when it was warmer.

Thank you everyone for the knowledge in here.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM

----------

Last edited by Temporary Username 1; 01-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by control
The reference, "Biker" passed down to me from word of mouth, and having a lot of family and close friends to verify over the years, has changed a lot. Seems to me when all this monkey business started was for the ride, for those who enjoyed a bicycle with an engine. HD started a revolution they couldnt fathom. At first, everyone, rode motorcycles. Then when the Colors came to be, the idea of the "Biker" was born. Seemingly negative for perspective(some would proclaim obvious) reasons in history, however, its also all perspective. None of us are the same, and the world would be boring if that were the case. My great uncle was a moonshiner, and Im sure a lot of us drink alcohol; so does that make him wrong? Not in certain eyes. Bikers and MCs over the years have had bad raps, and had given regular everyday "riders" and racers an unforgivingly bad name due to misassociation, simply because of a brand name on the tank of a motorcycle. Nowadays, a lot of MCs are becoming more legitamate and there are less claiming to be 1%ers. (On a side note, I have nothing against anyone, 1%er or not, I believe in freedom) So this diversification in the brand of HD, nonetheless in the motorcycle world is changing the way people have been channeled to view or think of the word, Biker. I still belive the word itself has an unnecessarily negative connotation, but hey, its the world we live in. Calling out people that choose to ride a blacked out dyna, saying theyre posers is pretty ignorant, too. I've been riding motorcycles since age 4, before I could pedal a bicycle. My father raced oval in the 60s. He started me on a PW50 with training wheels, and not a week in, they flew off the bike by themselves. 25 years later, Im still riding for the enjoyment of it, and I love my Dyna. I'm unaffiliated with any clubs but have many friends in both outlaw and non outlaw clubs. This is a sensitive topic to a lot of people. The word Biker means a lot more than a lot of the inexperienced and uneducated on the history of the culture know. This topic can also inevitably tangent into so many topics as well. I'm surprised it hasn't imploded already. Respect all, ride safe, ride hard, and be the example. Im a Rider, but who knows, life goes on, and I could say Im a Biker another time.
well educated biker, there, fixed it for ya.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

not since the stripper club shut down.....

Old 12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAOLE
This was probably a pair of shoes that you didnt need to try on, was a humorous response and meant for other readers, not you, I too know how things are done in your area..... Both sides ..... cross the river as well .... through out each adjacent state .... and inclusive of CONUS states as well as OCONUS.

LOL

Haole
When you quote me I'm going to assume you're talking to me. My response wasn't "trying on any shoes", it was telling you I know how things are done in my area--nothing else. Not trying to start any pissing contest.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

some threw a turd in the pool here in Mn....might be a hot long summer.....

Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickd
When you quote me I'm going to assume you're talking to me. My response wasn't "trying on any shoes", it was telling you I know how things are done in my area--nothing else. Not trying to start any pissing contest.
Nah ... Was meant to attribute your post to any looking for the local NEB flavor.

Your addition of Official CoC may infer to those not familiar or Respectful of Protocol that since there is nothing Official no need to do the work.

Course, the flavor varies dependent on which side of the state you are on.

No contest entered, nor competed in

Merry Christmas to you and yours

LOL

Haole

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?