The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
i've seen you make that dumb statement many times over the years.
what makes you think that any of us are worshiping a "patch"?
some of us know what it takes to earn one and we recognise that some "dudes" deserve more respect than others.

... just like you earned more respect for your service than some other "dude" who spent his college years protesting "dudes" like you

not all dudes are equal

Sorry, I totally disagree. I know patch members and they're all good guys. Not because of a patch but because they're just good dudes. A patch doesn't garner any respect just because they belong to a club. It's the man, not the clothing.

As for my or anyone else's military service? That's a false argument. Someone who serves their country is not in the same league as someone that belongs to a motorcycle club. Defending or serving your country or community (like a LEO or firefighter) is different than someone that will fight over a patch. One is to support a population of strangers while the other is to support their friends and brothers. Totally different causes.

I have never said patch members were good bad or indifferent. What I've said is the hero worship is unwarranted. Respect is earned, not given. Just because someone wears a patch doesn't give them instant respect in my eyes. Just like any other regular dude.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my mind, respect is more specific than that. I don't think you just "respect" a person. You might respect their selflessness, loyalty, sacrifice, fashion sense, opinion, riding skills, knowledge etc.

For me, I respect the patch in as far as it shows a loyalty and commitment to a brotherhood which is beyond that which I know I'm capable of. That doesn't mean that I necessarily respect the patch-holder's decisions, behaviour, opinions, intellect, strength, riding ability etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

And by the way, I've been asked to be a charter member of a new chapter of a diamond club, asked to be a member of another club and asked to prospect for a 3rd. I've declined all of them. Not because I disliked any of the guys. I just don't want to wear a patch at this point in my life.

I don't need a patch to have friends I'd put it on the line for. They know that. I also know who would or wouldn't put it on the line for me. A patch has absolutely nothing to do with it. I can decide for myself.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deleted not worth the debate.

Last edited by Throttle_Jockey; 07-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
And by the way, I've been asked to be a charter member of a new chapter of a diamond club, asked to be a member of another club and asked to prospect for a 3rd. I've declined all of them. Not because I disliked any of the guys. I just don't want to wear a patch at this point in my life.

I don't need a patch to have friends I'd put it on the line for. They know that. I also know who would or wouldn't put it on the line for me. A patch has absolutely nothing to do with it. I can decide for myself.
wow, you're like ...triple awesome dude!

blank respect is for dedication to earn the patch. individuals earn my respect or not.
unlike some civil "service" agency,, if you don't deserve that patch it will be pulled. no union, no FOP, if you're an ******* you will not have that patch very long...

Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

wow, you're like ...triple awesome dude!

blank respect is for dedication to earn the patch. individuals earn my respect or not.
unlike some civil "service" agency,, if you don't deserve that patch it will be pulled. no union, no FOP, if you're an ******* you will not have that patch very long...
Are you saying that people at large should have more respect and adoration for a patch member than for someone who serves their country or community?

Like I said, the hero worship of patch members by some people on this forum is outright hysterical.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Are you saying that people at large should have more respect and adoration for a patch member than for someone who serves their country or community?

Like I said, the hero worship of patch members by some people on this forum is outright hysterical.
i don't advocate anything. i simply don't give a ****, but your ridicule of "hero worshiping" is quite amusing. specially when its followed up by claim of 3 club membership opportunities.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

i don't advocate anything. i simply don't give a ****, but your ridicule of "hero worshiping" is quite amusing. specially when its followed up by claim of 3 club membership opportunities.
Read my posts again and this time much slower. I don't have an issue with many of the guys in clubs. I've said that over and over ad nausium. I am amused by the hero worship of clubs and their members that some here have. I'm sorry if you can't differentiate.

Nobody gets my automatic respect. Each individual has to earn it. No uniform, patch or profession gives anyone an ad hoc pass into the respect column.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

[QUOTE=baka1969;12970671]Read my posts again and this time much slower. I don't have an issue with many of the guys in clubs. I've said that over and over ad nausium. I am amused by the hero worship of clubs and their members that some here have. I'm sorry if you can't differentiate.

Nobody gets my automatic respect. Each individual has to earn it. No uniform, patch or profession gives anyone an ad hoc pass into the respect column.[/QUOTE]

I think many share that opinion especially as they get older, when they realize clothes don't make the man.

Maybe not, just seems that way to me.
I've figured that respect is earned and not just given for many years now.

Doesn't mean I won't treat someone with courtesy though.

Al

Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 627 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm kind of the opposite, I believe that every man deserves a certain amount of respect, and I give them that respect until they give me a reason not to.

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?