The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a rider or a biker?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 AM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CISO1969

OK So here's a question for those in the know:

What about people like myself who don't belong to any club, do not wear colors etc. I am guessing I probably shouldn't stop anyplace with a lot of bikes outside and guys wearing cuts--or am I ok as long as I simply cause no problems?

CISO
Seriously? I see a biker friendly bar/tavern/saloon I park it outside the front door, walk in and order a beer. I don't care if anyone is wearing colors, I'm not. We have Harleys and beer in common. After a couple of beers and friendly conversation I'm on my way to wherever I'm going.

Those places with a lot of bikes outside are usually the most friendly and enjoyable places to stop for a cold one.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was still riding my Shovel, I saw my OL rip one of those nicotine replacement patches off of her brother's back.
It was ugly.
And hairy.
Hairy and ugly.
Scary.
Not something I would want to witness again, to be sure.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

As far as the regular guy not in a MC or RC worrying about being messed with for going into a bar with bikes in front of it, if you don't try to look like you are in a club and act like you are in one my guess is they will leave you alone.
I can see why it gets them a little ticked to see regular riders trying to look & act like them. If you didn't earn it don't try to look like you did!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

while i've never seen a patch get ripped off a guys back, i seen a guy wearing a three piece patch get surrounded and get a good talking to about his back patch. when all was said and done he left with his "colors" turn inside out.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's John C. McGinley, he played "Red" O'Neill in Platoon, was one of the two Bobs in "Office Space" and was on "Scrubs" He is hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing at that scene.

Bill Macy played the nerd. Strangely wearing a WWII US Army tanker helmet (easily a $250-450 dollar item last time I checked)--not something you'd want to actually wear riding--but I understand it was for the style to define his character.

What about people like myself who don't belong to any club, do not wear colors etc. I am guessing I probably shouldn't stop anyplace with a lot of bikes outside and guys wearing cuts--or am I ok as long as I simply cause no problems?

I know what happens in the movies I know what my gut tells me might happen, just curious from those in that lifestyle if I need to worry.

CISO
Irrespective of the patches, I'd be more likely to stop at that bar than any other -- it's clearly friendly towards bikers. But I wouldn't try and buddy up to them by parking my bike next to theirs or thinking that I can share the same table/part of the bar with them without being invited.

In my mind it is as simple as this: Yes, you might have something in common, but that doesn't make you their friend. Just like if you drove a porsche, it doesn't give you an automatic right to share a parking space with another porsche or sit at the driver's table.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

EDIT: Sorry, duplicate post

Last edited by peg20; 05-01-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
At a meeting at the 2009 national PGR rallye in Ogden, Utah, all members present were informed of a situation in Oklahoma, and told not to wear any PGR insignia while traveling through Oklahoma until the situation was resolved.

I do not recall the details of the situation, nor do I care. This post is only to verify that it happened and I was there at that meeting.

If you, however, care, or doubt this post, here is a link :

http://www.centexpgr.org/news.php?readmore=86 A simple google search will turn up dozens more. The one I posted just happened to be at the top of the list.

That happened because a group of PGR riders, instead of focusing on their mission of honoring the fallen, decided that they wanted to act and look like an MC, which is FAR outside the scope of the PGR charter. They did this unilaterally and without regard to the established protocols that clubs and associations VOLUNTARILY abide by in OK.
They got called on it several times and ignored the focus on their activities. Eventually, the COC gave them an ultimatum.
Lack of knowledge of clubs and lack of respect for those who earn a patch, not buy one, drove this, along with arrogance. For the time being, it appears to be settled and no one was under "death threats", that's just rampant hyperbole.

If you want to be in that world, you must realize that it is for real....if not, you have no business being there.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

Grown men acting like children.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,526 Likes on 9,782 Posts

Only patch I'll wear would be like AC/DC/Megadeth/Slayer..... sure hope some 1%'s don't decide to school me on my musical tastes

Old 05-01-2014, 10:04 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,594 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I know what happens in the movies I know what my gut tells me might happen, just curious from those in that lifestyle if I need to worry.

CISO
If it's a place you want to stop and have a beer, stop and have a beer. Mind your business and nobody cares that you're there. Don't pretend to be anyone's "bro" and don't ask about club business and you'll be fine.

and back to the original question

I've seen people hand over their patch after being asked politely ...
I've seen people hand over their patch after being told to hand over their patch...
I've seen people have their patch taken from them in protest...
and I've seen people have their patch ripped off their unconscious body that's laying on the floor in a pool of blood

if it's being removed, most likely you know why and how you're going to respond. When I wore mine (I retired from the club in 2003) the only way mine was coming off was the later example. And from that point forward it would have been my life's mission to get it back.

At 46, I'm a significantly different man than I was at 30

Quick Reply: Are you a rider or a biker?